"Installer timed out" on upgrade from 3.1.6 to 3.2.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Charles L. Cotton

"Installer timed out" on upgrade from 3.1.6 to 3.2.2

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? https://texaschlforum.com/
Who do you host your board with? Virtbiz
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.1.6
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? All extensions were disabled. Files and database were backed up.
The full 3.2.2 package was downloaded, extracted and the config.php file was deleted along with the Images, files and store directories.
All directories and files were deleted from my web host, except for the config.php file and the ext, files and store directories.
The 3.2.2 files were uploaded to the root directory.
I then went to the install folder and attempted to update the database
Please describe your problem. The database update timed out. I contacted my webhost who rand the alternate script. I then logged onto the admin side of the board and saw that the files were updated to 3.2.2, but the database was 3.2.1. My host ran the script again, with the same result.

I requested the web host to extend the time out period to 15 minutes so I could try from the install folder (browser) again. (My database is almost 5GB for a 14 year old board.) When I try to update from the browser, it immediately goes back to the error message that the "Installer detected a time out." I purged the cache but there was no change. I deleted all new files and directories and started over, but with the same result.

Since running the script doesn't work, how can I get the browser to try again? I've searched the board, but I can't find a solution to my particular problem.

Thanks,
Chas.
Generated by SRT Generator

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: "Installer timed out" on upgrade from 3.1.6 to 3.2.2

Post by Mick » Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 am

What version of PHP are you using? Please post the contents of your config.php without the password.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Charles L. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri May 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:47 am
What version of PHP are you using? Please post the contents of your config.php without the password.
Thanks Mick!

Here are the specs: PHP v5.6.36; MySQL 5.0.11. I can have a newer version of PHP and MySQL installed, if necessary, but I believe this meets minimum requirements. I can also have MariaDB installed if that would help.

Here is the config file:

Code: Select all

<?php
// phpBB 3.0.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'mysql';
$dbhost = 'localhost';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'texaschl_database';
$dbuser = 'texaschl_user';
$dbpasswd = '************';

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';
$acm_type = 'file';
$load_extensions = '';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
// @define('DEBUG_EXTRA', true);
?>
When my host ran the script, this was the result. Also included is his comment about an error in the script that is shown in the upgrade documentation:

Hello Mr Cotton,
Yes, I understand that the very large database can tend to cause a time-out depending on the operation that is necessary. I have found there to be an error in the syntax of the command provided, and note that it should be this: php bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode

I've executed the command with the following result:

Code: Select all

# php bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\default_data_type_ids; Time: 1198.04 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\default_data_type_ids; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\increase_size_of_dateformat; Time: 0.93 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\increase_size_of_dateformat; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320b1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320b1; Time: 0.18 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\remote_upload_validation; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\remote_upload_validation; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320b2; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320b2; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\remove_duplicate_migrations; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\remove_duplicate_migrations; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_log_time_index; Time: 1.54 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_log_time_index; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\report_id_auto_increment; Time: 0.05 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\report_id_auto_increment; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320rc1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320rc1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\add_help_phpbb; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\add_help_phpbb; Time: 0.08 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320rc2; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320rc2; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\increase_size_of_emotion; Time: 0.04 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\increase_size_of_emotion; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\cookie_notice; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\cookie_notice; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v320\v320; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_jabber_ssl_context_config_options; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_jabber_ssl_context_config_options; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_smtp_ssl_context_config_options; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_smtp_ssl_context_config_options; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\update_hashes; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\update_hashes; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_latest_topics_index; Time: 1.97 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v31x\add_latest_topics_index; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\load_user_activity_limit; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\load_user_activity_limit; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p1; Time: 0.32 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p2; Time: 0.59 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p2; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p3; Time: 1.04 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_index_p3; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_reduce_column_sizes; Time: 2.03 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_reduce_column_sizes; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_temp_index; Time: 1.62 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_temp_index; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_remove_duplicates; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_remove_duplicates; Time: 2.64 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_unique_index; Time: 6.01 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\user_notifications_table_unique_index; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v321rc1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v321rc1; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v321; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\v321; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\email_force_sender; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\email_force_sender; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\merge_duplicate_bbcodes; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Data: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\merge_duplicate_bbcodes; Time: 0.00 seconds
Installed Schema: \phpbb\db\migration\data\v32x\fix_user_styles; Time: 0.00 seconds
Thanks again for your help Mick.
Chas.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm

In your config.php change $dbms = 'mysql'; to $dbms = 'mysqli'; and try again.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.
Forza Garibaldi

Charles L. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Mick wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm
That fixed the database update problem. However, when I try to log into the site, I get this error message:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/di/container_builder.php on line 146: require(./cache/production/autoload_4335734bbdd20f586549a504dff5f80c.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Those directories do exist, but the file is container_ rather than autoload_. All of the following characters are the same.

Chas.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm

using your ftp, open the cache folder and delete the installer and production folders

refresh your browser and see what happens.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

Charles L. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri May 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 pm
Mick wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:02 pm
That fixed the database update problem. However, when I try to log into the site, I get this error message:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/di/container_builder.php on line 146: require(./cache/production/autoload_4335734bbdd20f586549a504dff5f80c.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory

Those directories do exist, but the file is container_ rather than autoload_. All of the following characters are the same.

Chas.
Thanks for your help Mick. This fixed the database update issue. Lumpy's suggestion took care of the subsequent error message.

Regards,
Chas.

Charles L. Cotton

Post by Charles L. Cotton » Fri May 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 6:04 pm
using your ftp, open the cache folder and delete the installer and production folders

refresh your browser and see what happens.

robert
Thanks Lumpy, that fixed the problem.

Chas.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”