My forum page shows Index of /phpBB3 after uploading files

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Oboiro2500

Re: My forum page shows Index of /phpBB3 after uploading files

Post by Oboiro2500 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:17 pm

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Please explain exactly what you are doing or wish to do.
New installation or update or using a old database with or without data?

And why are you upload your files into the phpBB3/phpBB3 directory and not in the phpBB3?
I am installing a new phpBB3 and keeping the former database.

As to why phpBB3/phpBB3, To upload, I set my remote side to /public_html/phpbb3/ but the system loaded it to /public_html/phpBB3/phpBB3/ The reason was explained before, partly because i am on a Shared account. It is NOT a mistake.

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sat May 26, 2018 9:30 pm

As to why phpBB3/phpBB3, To upload, I set my remote side to /public_html/phpbb3/ but the system loaded it to /public_html/phpBB3/phpBB3/ The reason was explained before, partly because i am on a Shared account. It is NOT a mistake.
But you are complaining that you shows Index of /phpBB3 after uploading files ??
but the system loaded it to
The system do's nothing, you choose the directory.
I am installing a new phpBB3 and keeping the former database.
Maybe easier to delete the old database and start with a new one?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 pm

I do not have to delete the database. I have done it before, I can do it again. When spiritualityforimmortality.net, the Parent directory of the ENGLISH forum was deleted, I used the database of its forum for www.newworship.info/phpBB3/

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun May 27, 2018 1:39 pm

I think you've managed to thoroughly confuse everyone as to what you're doing.

You seem to have 3 different site addresses.
You have a site in English and one in French.
You're installing, you're updating and you're changing folder names that the installations are in.

Please just state clearly and concisely what exactly you are doing and what you want to do.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun May 27, 2018 1:40 pm

Oboiro2500 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 9:17 pm
That happened because you uploaded the folder instead of the contents of the folder.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks.
KevC wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 1:39 pm
You seem to have 3 different site addresses.
You have a site in English and one in French.
You're installing, you're updating and you're changing folder names that the installations are in.

Please just state clearly and concisely what exactly you are doing and what you want to do.
Yes, I have a site in English and another in French.

For over six weeks, I had been trying to update my French site following the article 1111 of the knowledge base to no avail. I had accepted help from well-meaning people, friends and others; sometimes I gave them my ftp data to login to my account, They tried to "cleanup the Directory." I now discover many contradictions and inconsistences introduced into my account e g User name of my database and database name of my French site are both temoinde_board on config.php and teminde_board and temoinde_phpBB3 respectively on MySQL. As if that was not enough, user name of the database of my English board is also temoinde_board.

I have uninstalled the outdated phpBB3 French site while keeping the database. I am reinstalling a fresh up-to-date phpBB3. I am not updating folder names or anythingesle, I have deleted all files on the phpBB3 Directory on my file manager. While installing the whole pbpBB-3.2.2, I set the remote site to /public_html/phpBB3/ yet the system loads it as phpBB3/phpBB3/ You think I was updating; no I was uploading afresh. I do not understand why the system changed it. It was explained before that it was because I have a Share Cpanel on FastDomain.

I have now repeated the upload to the correct location. The Install page opened without problems. Access is denied to database. See attached screenshot:
FRENCH-install-revised.jpg
Access to database denied

I entered the database username and database name as is on MySQL See attached;

Databases.jpg
names on databse
Last edited by Oboiro2500 on Mon May 28, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

pedrotski

Post by pedrotski » Mon May 28, 2018 5:55 am

That error you are having is saying files aren't there. It sounds like you're trying to install a fresh install of PHPBB and connect it straight to the old DB or merging config files of some sort. I would focus on getting a working, stable installation first and then importing the database from the ACP instead.

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:31 am

pedrotski wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:55 am
I would focus on getting a working, stable installation first and then importing the database from the ACP instead.
I have since repeated the uploads. To install a stable database as you suggest, I am going to create a new database and a new database name. And install with those.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon May 28, 2018 11:00 am

pedrotski wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:55 am
That error you are having is saying files aren't there.
That's not correct.
The error is saying that the database username does not have access to that database.
Oboiro2500 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 am
I have now repeated the upload to the correct location. The Install page opened without problems. Access is denied to database. See attached screenshot:
You need to do ONE thing at a time.
Decide which of those things you want to do, state what it is, what the site address is, what you have in terms of database and files and we will work through ONE situation at a time. You're just massively over complicating everything by trying to deal with multiple sites, files and databases at the same time.
Cheap UK Hosting

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Mon May 28, 2018 6:49 pm

The issue of this topic has been resolved. I repeated the upload and I successfully uploaded new phpBB-3.2.2. The installation page opened at http://temoindemont.org/phpBB3/install/app.php/install without a problem. I have already started the installation process.

The issue now is that of access denied user of database to database after uploading a new phpBB-3.2.2 I intend to start a new topic next that reflects the new issue, if there is no objection.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm

There is no need to do a new installation if all you want to do is connect to an existing database.
Cheap UK Hosting

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 pm

KevC wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:00 pm
There is no need to do a new installation if all you want to do is connect to an existing database.
Connecting to an existing database is part of a new installation. It appears not to be possible right now. My plan is to connect to the new database that I created; otherwise, I would connect to any database to get a site that is working and make necessary changes later.
Last edited by Oboiro2500 on Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Mon May 28, 2018 8:22 pm

If you have an old forum database that has posts and users in it that you want to resurrect, you do not need to do a brand new installation.
Cheap UK Hosting

Oboiro2500

Post by Oboiro2500 » Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm

I do not have. I wish to leave this topic and start a topic that is relevant to the issue at hand, namely, to overcome the problem of access denied during my installing the new site.

I thank you and all for the help. I must really go about setting up the new relevant topic of access denied.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 am

Oboiro2500 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:12 pm
I do not have.
You do, you said so earlier on.
Oboiro2500 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:33 am
I have uninstalled the outdated phpBB3 French site while keeping the database
Like I said, you need to do ONE thing at a time so we all know what on earth you are trying to do because you're making it all way too complicated and confusing.
Cheap UK Hosting

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”