Ok, guys, this is going to be a long one.
I have a situation where I upgraded a board from 3.0.9 to 3.2.1
In the process I have lost exactly 7 years of data. that includes probably 20k + posts and their forums etc. etc.
here is what I did
1. made a backup of all the files/folders to my computer using ftp.
2. exported the current/only database to my computer.
3. removed all 3.0 files except for the files and images folders and the config.php file from the server.
4. uploaded all 3.1.12 files to the server.
5. ran install/database_update.php with no problems.
6. checked board, it was all there and working except for some modules apparently missing from the admin panel.
I assumed that continuing with the upgrade to 3.2 would probably solve those issues.
7. removed all the 3.1 files except for the files and images folder and the config.php file.
8. uploaded all the 3.2.2 files
9. ran install, chose update, chose update, chose update database only.
10. timed out within about 30 seconds.
11. refreshed page, same result
12.started over: uploaded 3.0.9 files backup and restored the database to the 3.0.9 backup.
here is where the fun starts.
that database backup is missing 7 years of data.
when viewing the board after restoring all the backups, the latest post is from sep of 2011
also, there are changes to the style files that are from 2011 that were not showing on the current board before I started.
I have gone over and over all the steps I took and I can not figure out how the database backup was missing all of the data from the last 7 years.
It is not the normal problem of posts being there but not showing up. they are not there.
I checked the database and the last post showing on the board is the last post in the database backup file and all the copies of it that I made originally.
I can't even figure out anything related to the host that could have caused this.
the biggest problem I have is that the host only keeps a backup for 3 days and wants $75 to restore it.
If it matters, the host is http://lunarpages.com
thanks guys if anyone can help.