7 years of data gone after upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: 7 years of data gone after upgrade

Post by HiFiKabin »

A seemingly daft question (for which I apologise) but did you download the correct database? Maybe seven years ago a copy was made to trial an upgrade and its that one you downloaded. I can't think or any other way to loose 7 years without any errors showing.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 am A seemingly daft question (for which I apologise) but did you download the correct database? Maybe seven years ago a copy was made to trial an upgrade and its that one you downloaded. I can't think or any other way to loose 7 years without any errors showing.
I agree, that seems like the most logical thing. however, there was only one database available for download, it is the exact one that the board was using. I am completely baffled by this whole situation. as most of you know, I have been doing this a long time. I certainly can and do make silly mistakes sometimes. howver, I just can't figure out anything I did wrong or any way for this to even happen.

I would like to blame the host but I can't even figure out how they could be repsonsible for this.

robe3rt
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
david63

Post by david63 »

When you say "exactly" seven years - how exact is that, is it to the second? Just wondering if it may be something to do with the Unix timestamp difference - although I cannot think what it might have to do with it, but we are "clutching at straws" here!
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:48 pm
HiFiKabin wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 am A seemingly daft question (for which I apologise) but did you download the correct database? Maybe seven years ago a copy was made to trial an upgrade and its that one you downloaded. I can't think or any other way to loose 7 years without any errors showing.
I agree, that seems like the most logical thing. however, there was only one database available for download, it is the exact one that the board was using. I am completely baffled by this whole situation. as most of you know, I have been doing this a long time. I certainly can and do make silly mistakes sometimes. howver, I just can't figure out anything I did wrong or any way for this to even happen.

I would like to blame the host but I can't even figure out how they could be repsonsible for this.

robe3rt
Weird.
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Any news? 7 years still lost?
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

never did figure it out. the host only keeps backups for 3 days. they were taking 2 to 3 days to just answer a support ticket and then did not do what they said they would do about restoring a backup from before I started.

I still have no idea how I could get a backup that was 7 years old. there was only one board, only one database. the database I backed up had exactly the same name as the one in the config.php file.

it was a complete backup file. the problem was that it was like a backup done in sept. of 2011
there were no posts after sept. 22 2011 in that backup file.

don't know. as you can imagine, my customer is not a happy camper.

I did the exact same procedure last nite for another client. It all went without a hitch just like it usually does. I have to admit, I was nervous about even starting the project. I made multiple copies of the sql backup, c hecked them etc.

thanks for checking but there was no fixing it after the host missed their own deadline.

who only keeps 3 days of backups?

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

Seems like a very bad hosing. But on the other side, it's always good to have a backup on your own computer.. I make auto database backups every day, and store them for 1 month. Full server backup once a week. So the host is not the only one to blame here :oops:
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

How much does your customer pay for his hosting? Only three days of backup sounds like a cheap host (storage is still a big part of hosting costs, even storage prices dropped a lot the last decades).
Every web site owner should make is own local backups on a regular base, not only immediately before an upgrade, and store them in a save place
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm I still have no idea how I could get a backup that was 7 years old.
maybe it was just clicking the wrong button for the question "A file with that name already exists. Overwrite?" - by default phpMyAdmin only uses the database name as the filename for the backup ...
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 2:32 amoh, speaking of using the CLI, I have been doing this stuff for many years. I can not figure out what any of the information about CLI is talking about.
If it is simply a matter of having shell access to the server and using something like putty to do it that is understandable. however, the documentation I have see here seems to be talking about something you do from the command line within windows. that makes no sense to me.
Don't know when it started, but CLI means "command line interface" and is effectively the shell on remote servers or, if you installed the board locally, your command prompt. So: yes, use the shell.

Speaking of that: consider searching the server for previous backups and/or database files. Look into the file you downloaded - most likely it also has a date in it stating when the backup was done and how long it took (to make sure you haven't downloaded a 7 years old one). Check the file dates remotely. Access the database thru the remote shell to see if there are different schemas to access. In the 7 years before, have you (or your customer) never downloaded a backup?

From this one should learn to always run a local copy of the board, which can be used for testing everything before applying it live.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm who only keeps 3 days of backups?
Backups from a host should never be relied upon and they really need to advertise them as disaster recovery backups. I know on my old host after a failed/corrupted disk array the backup they used was three days out of date before the failure.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”