PM only offer groups to which member belongs

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
LoRoller

PM only offer groups to which member belongs

Post by LoRoller »

I tried to search around for this but couldn't find a direct answer.

According to the manual, "There is no permission to deny the sending to groups, so anyone who is able to send Private Messages will be able to send a message to this group!"

I only want people who are already members of a group to be able to send PMs to that group. If I belong to three groups, I want to see only those three groups reflected in the Add Group box when composing a PM.

Are they saying that I can't do this? If I can, can you point me in the right direction? Right now every registered user can see all groups in the PM compose Add Group box.

TIA.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: PM only offer groups to which member belongs

Post by Brf »

Make your group a “hidden” group, then only its members can see it.

On second thought, I don’t think that would work. I do not think you can send PMs to hidden groups.
Probably you just want to turn off the user permission which allows sending PMs to groups for your regular users.
LoRoller

Post by LoRoller »

If I'm understanding you correctly, if someone has the ability to send to any group, they will have the ability to send to all groups - not just the ones of which they are a member.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That is correct. If you have permission to send PMs to groups, you can send them to any group which is marked that PMs can be sent to it. For the most part, you only want to allow PMs to groups that it is appropriate to send to as a group.
LoRoller

Post by LoRoller »

Oh well. Maybe an example can spur another solution.

We have a 100-member non-profit group that has a 10 member Executive Committee. I want an Executive Committee member to be able to send a PM to all of the other EC members. I don't want a non-EC member to be able to send a group PM to the entire EC.

I'm relatively new to phpBB but have been totally impressed by how much control I have over every aspect of the system. This one actually seems like it should be a no-brainer. And my usual experience is that it's my brain that''s the "no". ;)

Is there some other way to do this?

Thanks.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You could make an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Each group has a "can receive PMs" setting which you can set accordingly - you can't only send to either all or no groups.

What you want can only be achieved by:
  • making the "Executive Committee" not members of that group anymore, but instead make their own, and
  • setting the user permission "can send mass PMs" of the big group to "never".
But, of course, this also means whoever is in that group can't send PMs to any group.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Simply set the Registered Users group user permission to send PMs to groups to "No".
For your executive group, set it to "Yes".
LoRoller

Post by LoRoller »

Thanks. The problem is that EC is just one of many groups/teams and I want to restrict each them to group messaging their own. From what I've heard so far, If I want group messaging I guess I'll have to trust team members not to email other teams.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

LoRoller wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:25 am Thanks. The problem is that EC is just one of many groups/teams and I want to restrict each them to group messaging their own. From what I've heard so far, If I want group messaging I guess I'll have to trust team members not to email other teams.
Just to avoid possible confusion: you probably don't mean to say : email other teams, but PM other teams.
This may sound like nitpicking on a word but the not so attentive reader may get the wrong impression.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”