blank, white page after upgrade

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
budoka

Re: blank, white page after upgrade

Post by budoka »

hello, all. for an update:

i created a new database and a new folder on my server. installed the full download from scratch. it seemed fine and i even got to the screen where i could make my first forum, etc.

i thought all was good, so i thought i would upload the files and images folders from my previously working forum and populate the new database with an older backup of my forum's database.

i made a new folder named "dump" and uploaded the modified "bigdump.php" and database backup to the new folder.

as per the directions, i pointed my browser to the /dump/bigdump.php location, and i get a white page and the following error message in my log:

[24-Jun-2018 09:33:17 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home1/chopperc/public_html/ccforum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3654

what does that have to do with me accessing the /dump/bigdump.php file?

thanks!
-dan
david63

Post by david63 »

budoka wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:54 pm [24-Jun-2018 09:33:17 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home1/chopperc/public_html/ccforum/vendor/s9e/text-formatter/src/Configurator.php on line 3654

what does that have to do with me accessing the /dump/bigdump.php file?
That is a server setting. Basically you have 30 seconds to complete a task and that task is taking longer.

To be honest 30 seconds is a bit on the low side - normally hosts have it set at 60 seconds if not 90.

You will need to speak with your hosts about it.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
budoka

Post by budoka »

ok folks, update to this issue:

working with the tech folk at bluehost, they set the timeout to 90 seconds as david63 suggested and now i can see the board in read only mode. can't log in.

if i rename the install folder from "xinstall" (which i did to disable it after the update was complete) to "install" again, i get the prompt saying no update files found, update database only which finishes correctly, click on "take me to the acp" and i get a white page.

the error i'm getting in the php error log is:
/home1/chopperc/public_html/ccforum/error_log:
[07-Jul-2018 19:54:06 America/Denver] PHP Warning: require(./includes/startup.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home1/chopperc/public_html/ccforum/common.php on line 23
[07-Jul-2018 19:54:06 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required './includes/startup.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php/54/usr/lib64:/usr/php/54/usr/share/pear') in /home1/chopperc/public_html/ccforum/common.php on line 23

am i correct in thinking this a problem with the root path to the forum? the forum is located at choppercompendium.com/ccforum/

again, many thanks for your help. i feel like i'm close to getting it worked out thanks to you folks!
-dan
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it means it is looking for that file named startup.php and can't find it.
upload the complete folder named "includes" again.

it seems that some of your problems are related to the uploading of the files to the server.

first, you should have removed all the old files except for those listed in the instructions.

then uploaded all new files except for the config.php file.

now it is telling you that at least one file is missing , maybe more.

for now upload the includes folder and see what happens.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
budoka

Post by budoka »

thanks for the reply Lumpy Burgertushie!

apparently someone was trying to access the forum while i was reuploading it.

anyway where i am now is,

1. the forum is viewable in read-only form.
2. all the posts seem to be intact.
3. i can't log in.
4. when i try to access choppercompendium.com/ccforum/adm/index.php all i get is a white page
5. and i am not getting any errors in the server logs.

at this point i'm considering trying to move everything to a different host (another website i have) and see if it works.

what do you folks think?

take care,
-dan
budoka

Post by budoka »

or maybe deleting everything except for the config.php, files folder and images folder, uploading all the other files from 3.2.1 and seeing if there's just something in 3.2.2 that isn't working with my current server?

or would that now cause problems with my database since i've updated the database when installing 3.2.2?

or am i just thinking too much? LOL.

-dan
budoka

Post by budoka »

my forum is back up and running. in order to summarize this whole process and what happened for anyone who experiences the same situation, here's what happened:

My forum was at version 3.2.1 and I was notified that my version was out of date and in need of an update via the ACP. it said i should update via the automatic update package.

i downloaded the automatic update package and followed it. it hung at 3%. i then tried to update all the files manually, but still received only a white page when trying to access my website.

following david63's advice I checked my server's logs and discovered that my server was experiencing a timeout problem, which i requested my service provider change.

after that, i could read my forum but not login and interact.

finally, i uploaded a backup of the database from about a month before, and it seems as if my forum is working now.

a sincere thanks fro all of you who took the time to try to help me!

take care,
-dan

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”