Is There A Way to Post an Interstitial?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Matthew G. Saroff
Name: Matthew G. Saroff

Is There A Way to Post an Interstitial?

Post by Matthew G. Saroff »

When I do an update, I expect the board to be down, and as opposed to posting in a pinned topic (where it is frequently missed), I'd like to have a page come up with the message, and then they would have to click through, so that the get the notice.
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

I wrote BBCodeWebex for Firefox which automates the addition of html and bbcode tags on blogs and discussion boards.

Eventually, I'll port it to Chromium browsers.
david63

Re: Is There A Way to Post an Interstitial?

Post by david63 »

When you disable the board to do the update you can add a message that will be displayed to anyone trying to access the board
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> »

david63 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm When you disable the board to do the update you can add a message that will be displayed to anyone trying to access the board
I always had some doubts with that "disable" option. The update instructions are telling you to to delete all files except "ext, images, ets" .. But when you delete your board files, the "disabled" message is not showing because everything is gone ...?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

true but you are supposed to replace all the files immediately after you delete them. the chances of someone trying to access in that short time are slim.
if they do they will simply get a 404 or a blank page etc. when they check back in a minute or two, the board will be back and they will get the message page again.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Matthew G. Saroff wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm When I do an update, I expect the board to be down, and as opposed to posting in a pinned topic (where it is frequently missed), I'd like to have a page come up with the message, and then they would have to click through, so that the get the notice.
Froddelaar wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm I always had some doubts with that "disable" option. The update instructions are telling you to to delete all files except "ext, images, ets" .. But when you delete your board files, the "disabled" message is not showing because everything is gone ...?
Exactly, also in those moments our friend google indexes the site with his mistakes, doing damage imaginable.
That's why I always use HTML redirect.

https://gist.github.com/3D-I/8fb88dc810 ... 675a4b926f
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Froddelaar wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm
david63 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm When you disable the board to do the update you can add a message that will be displayed to anyone trying to access the board
I always had some doubts with that "disable" option. The update instructions are telling you to to delete all files except "ext, images, ets" .. But when you delete your board files, the "disabled" message is not showing because everything is gone ...?
You could create a copy of your site and database, upgrade the copy, then move of the old installation in a backup directly and immediately after move the files from the upgraded one, and you'll have more of a seamless transition.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Matthew G. Saroff

Toxyy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:17 am
Froddelaar wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm
You could create a copy of your site and database, upgrade the copy, then move of the old installation in a backup directly and immediately after move the files from the upgraded one, and you'll have more of a seamless transition.
Actually, I'm worried about the unparsed posts throwing errors for a few weeks, there are over 500,000 posts on the board, and I figure that it would take a few weeks for the background task to finish that.
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

I wrote BBCodeWebex for Firefox which automates the addition of html and bbcode tags on blogs and discussion boards.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Matthew G. Saroff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 am Actually, I'm worried about the unparsed posts throwing errors for a few weeks, there are over 500,000 posts on the board, and I figure that it would take a few weeks for the background task to finish that.
How do you expect them to throw errors?

And with a board that large you can export the database using cli, download it, update the board using xamp or mamp or something, upload the upgraded database, install the phpbb3 files somewhere, then update some blank database that installation uses with the upgraded one, again in cli. That would make it faster.

That probably doesn't answer your issue though about post errors which I don't fully understand?
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Matthew G. Saroff

Toxyy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am
Matthew G. Saroff wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:22 am Actually, I'm worried about the unparsed posts throwing errors for a few weeks, there are over 500,000 posts on the board, and I figure that it would take a few weeks for the background task to finish that.

And with a board that large you can export the database using cli, download it, update the board using xamp or mamp or something, upload the upgraded database, install the phpbb3 files somewhere, then update some blank database that installation uses with the upgraded one, again in cli. That would make it faster.

That probably doesn't answer your issue though about post errors which I don't fully understand?
Going from 3.0.12 to 3.2.2.

Custom smilies and BBCodes don't show up until the posts are reparsed.

I tested this out on a clone of the board that I sandboxed on the server, I did a post on our longest thread before conversion with custom stuff. (Image wrapping, youtube, smallcaps, etc.)

After conversion, about 1.6 hours,:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/php7 ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate -vvv
("-vvv" so that I know what is going on, there were a lot of stub mods to be fixed)

If I bring up that post, none of the custom tags show.

If i run parse on the last few hundred posts:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/php7 bin/phpbbcli.php reparser:reparse post_text --range-min=600000 --range-max=625000
(Actual numbers shown)

The processing speed is on the order of 7-9 posts per second, which gives about 18 hours to parse the whole database, so I am assuming that the backround parsing of old posts would take a few weeks.

Note that the above is always done via shell (SSH) on the server.

BTW, what are Xamp and Mamp? (The fact that I am board admin is kind of scary)

(On Edit)
OK, I Googled it, and Xampp and Mamp are development environments that can be put on my local machine, which would probably please our server provider.

For XAMPP at least, they now use MariaDB, which is supposed to be MySQL compatible, how is that handled?
--

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Oh I see what you mean. Well if reparsing fixes the problem... there's not much you can get around that.

If your server is good enough then I don't think running xampp or mamp will help, but you can try and see if it parses them faster, then at least you have some options.

Or even better, you can have the board be "online" while you're parsing the posts on another clone database and when it's up you can just update it, and lose the day of posts and blame it on upgrades :D

Just my bs solution.

I don't really know how mariadb is handled with it, sorry.

Some of my extensions:
david63

Post by david63 »

Froddelaar wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 pm I always had some doubts with that "disable" option. The update instructions are telling you to to delete all files except "ext, images, ets" .. But when you delete your board files, the "disabled" message is not showing because everything is gone ...?
Which is why I always use the "changed files" update/upgrade option. That way there is less likelihood of a relevant file not being available as at worst you will be overwriting a file which will take next to no time, and it may even be cached anyway.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Considering the board goes off line once it sees the /install folder then goes back on line when it’s removed I think you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. How long is the period between uploading and deleting the /install folder? Twenty to thirty minutes, say fourty if you’ve got a slow connection?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Matthew G. Saroff

Toxyy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am

I just did AAMPS (much like XAMP) and got about the same speed for reparsing.

Dunno know why it's so slow.
--

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”