Limit on number of forums

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
pathtointernship

Limit on number of forums

Post by pathtointernship »

Hello,

I am setting up a new community based on phpbb forums version 3.2.2 and I am expecting to have more than 100,000 forums. I am wondering if PhpBB will be able to support these many forums.

Also my understanding is that total number of options that can be listed in a select box is 10,000. So if I have more than 10,000 forums will the ACP stop working? This is the specific drop down I am referring to.
forumcount.PNG

Also, is there a way to remove this dropdown?

Thanks

P2I
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Limit on number of forums

Post by KevC »

Nope

Once you get past about 1000 you'll run in to a lot of database load issues.
phpBB is not the right platform to use for whatever it is you want to make.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

I have absolutely no idea what it is that you are trying to do but I, and I doubt anyone else, has ever heard of a board having 100,000 forums. With that number it will be totally unmanageable, that is if you could ever get anywhere near that. Once you get into the low thousands you will find that your board will grind to a halt.

Perhaps if you explained what it is that you are trying to do, rather than how you perceive doing it, we may be able to offer some useful advice on how to proceed.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
pathtointernship

Thank you for the response. I am basically trying to make a community or board of movie theaters all over the world. Basically 1 forum per movie theater. Users would then be able to discuss/post topics about that movie theater. I am sure there would be several thousand theaters all over the world. :roll: Hence wondering if PhpBB can support a large number of forums.
david63

Post by david63 »

The problem that you would have is that members of your board would have a hard time finding the appropriate forum so you would find yourself moving posts around. Not only that I would guess that, certainly, initially 99% of your fora will be empty.

I would suggest that you start small and then see how it goes and expand as necessary. Just have a forum for each country with perhaps a sub forum for the main cities.

There is nothing more intimidating for a new user that to be faced with thousands of fora that are empty - you will drive more away than you will attract.

I would make a guess that after five years you will have no more than a couple of hundred fora.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
pathtointernship

david63 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 pm The problem that you would have is that members of your board would have a hard time finding the appropriate forum so you would find yourself moving posts around. Not only that I would guess that, certainly, initially 99% of your fora will be empty.

I would suggest that you start small and then see how it goes and expand as necessary. Just have a forum for each country with perhaps a sub forum for the main cities.

There is nothing more intimidating for a new user that to be faced with thousands of fora that are empty - you will drive more away than you will attract.

I would make a guess that after five years you will have no more than a couple of hundred fora.
David, thank you so much for your help and suggestion. I will definitely follow what you have suggested.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I would imagine you could forget why you were doing it by the time you’d added 10,000 forums :D
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
pathtointernship

Mick wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:36 pm I would imagine you could forget why you were doing it by the time you’d added 10,000 forums :D
Hahaha.. you are right Mick.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”