Odd Line Wrap Rendering in Long Links

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Matthew G. Saroff
Name: Matthew G. Saroff

Odd Line Wrap Rendering in Long Links

Post by Matthew G. Saroff »

I just upgraded to phbb 3.2, and everything seems to work great, except for a long link (more than one line long) renders funny.

Here is the snippett posted here, where it renders fine:
At that point, he began leaking to the press, specifically to Business Insider, which wrote a June 4, 2018 story entitled "Internal documents reveal Tesla is blowing through an insane amount of raw material and cash to make Model 3s, and production is still a nightmare."

Tripp also told Ars he is currently seeking an attorney.
Here is the underlying bbcode:

Code: Select all

[quote]At that point, he began leaking to the press, specifically to Business Insider, which wrote a June 4, 2018 story entitled "[url=http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-scrap-waste-high-gigafactory-2018-5]Internal documents reveal Tesla is blowing through an insane amount of raw material and cash to make Model 3s, and production is still a nightmare[/url]."

Tripp also told Ars he is currently seeking an attorney.[/quote]
Here is the underlying html:

<a href="http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-scrap-waste-high-gigafactory-2018-5" class="postlink">Internal documents reveal Tesla is blowing through an insane amount of raw material and cash to make Model 3s, and production is still a nightmare</a>.
It appears fine on this board, but on my board, it looks like this:

(On edit)
Ignore the italics in the image: it was an artifact of a quote in the prior paragraph, where they used brackets to use the first person singular, I replaced the brackets with parenthesis, and the italics went away, but the funky line wrap remains.

(On edit 2)
I think that it might be some weird CSS kung fu.
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

I wrote BBCodeWebex for Firefox which automates the addition of html and bbcode tags on blogs and discussion boards.

Eventually, I'll port it to Chromium browsers.
Toxyy

Re: Odd Line Wrap Rendering in Long Links

Post by Toxyy »

I'm not sure of the real way to fix it but I can do some css kung fu and check it out if you give me a link.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension
Matthew G. Saroff

I posted a copy on our public (read only) forum. (The board is members only) It has the same formatting:
http://stellarparthenon.org/phpBB3/view ... 75#p602775
--
The Dream involves 4 sets of identical twins, 2 gallons of Cool Whip, 5 quarts of chocolate syrup, 2-1/4 pounds of strawberries, satin sheets, a magnum of champagne, a trapeze, and a python.

I wrote BBCodeWebex for Firefox which automates the addition of html and bbcode tags on blogs and discussion boards.

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

It's because your /styles/prosilver/theme/links.css is modified - compare it (including the comment with spelling mistake an missing punctuation) against the original - it's right there in the first definition already:

a { display: inline-block }
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Matthew G. Saroff

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 am It's because your /styles/prosilver/theme/links.css is modified - compare it (including the comment with spelling mistake an missing punctuation) against the original - it's right there in the first definition already:

a { display: inline-block }
Thanks. Since I just updated, it should be stock.

I am assuming that it is one of the extensions I have installed, Advanced BBCode Box, Board Announcements, or phpBB Media Embed PlugIn.

My guess would be the first one, since that is the only one not from the phpBB team.

(on edit)
Fixed it. Must have dated back to the original days of the board in the early oughts, when IE screwed up everything.
Last edited by Matthew G. Saroff on Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Disable it and test.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”