one of my users IP adress shows the same as mine

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
menz01

one of my users IP adress shows the same as mine

Post by menz01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 am

Hello,
i came across a very strange problem recently.... when looking at the IP addresses that users are registering and connecting with, one user has the same IP address as me and we dont live any where near each other. His registered address is the same as mine (which may be due to the fact that i used the the plugin "ACP Add User" where i registered the user myself, but the user has logged in several times since then, why is his IP address still showing as mine?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: one of my users IP adress shows the same as mine

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 am

what is your IP address showing to be on any given day? IP addresses often change daily. the IP you use today could be his tomorrow and someone else's the next day. that is why there is no point to worrying about IP addresses at all.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

John connor

Post by John connor » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 am

menz01 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 am
His registered address is the same as mine (which may be due to the fact that i used the the plugin "ACP Add User" where i registered the user myself, but the user has logged in several times since then, why is his IP address still showing as mine?
You might want to check in with the author of that ext and find out if IPs stick with the profile. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... dd_user_2/

Where are you seeing the IP?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Well, it is common sense that the Registration IP of an added user would be the IP of the adder, which is the admin doing the adding.

menz01

Post by menz01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:31 am
what is your IP address showing to be on any given day? IP addresses often change daily. the IP you use today could be his tomorrow and someone else's the next day. that is why there is no point to worrying about IP addresses at all.

robert
i realize that but my ISP does not change that often. they do change but not that often. the one i have currently i have had for a while and is the one that shows in the registration section and the user logs (another extension) for this other user. i have done an IP lookup (that wasn't necessary) and it came back to my location. i know this other user lives across the country from me so he should not be showing in my city
John connor wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:55 am
You might want to check in with the author of that ext and find out if IPs stick with the profile. https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... dd_user_2/

Where are you seeing the IP?
i am seeing the ip address in the users profile where it says registration IP and also in the user logs. This is another extension (Log user Connections) that adds each time the user logs in to the user logs section and it adds their IP address

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm

Are you behind a reverse proxy and all incoming traffic is being logged as your server IP?

menz01

Post by menz01 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 pm

chanlon1 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm
Are you behind a reverse proxy and all incoming traffic is being logged as your server IP?
no i am not. but... if i was wouldn't then all my users have the same IP address?

chanlon1

Post by chanlon1 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 am

menz01 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:42 pm
chanlon1 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:42 pm
no i am not. but... if i was wouldn't then all my users have the same IP address?
Correct. However I misread your first post and thought all users had the same address.

John connor

Post by John connor » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:08 am

This is more than likely the extension.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”