Can't access Admin on mobile error 401

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
InterDat

Can't access Admin on mobile error 401

Post by InterDat »

We're running version 3.2.2 and have had several emails from users wanting to register but can't. Upon questioning them, we learned they are all using mobile phones. I tried to register using an Android and when trying to register it goes in circles with error messages to try again, try again, then an error message to try again, etc. So I registered on a desktop PC and it worked fine, no problems. But when I went back to my phone to login after authentication of the account, same circle except this time the capcha was always wrong over and over again even though the letter and numbers were entered correctly with regard to case sensitivity. We just tell users now to register and login using a desktop PC until we can get this resolved. Can you help me fix this? Thanks.

InterDat

Users cannot register or login using a mobile phone (iPhone, Android)

Post by InterDat »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? https://hibbardforum.com
Who do you host your board with? InterDat
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.1
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Experienced with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Unknown
Please describe your problem. When using a desktop PC, any browser, everything works fine (registration, login, etc.) but if anyone uses a mobile phone, iPhone, Android or other the program will not register a new user. Error message each time is: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again. The confirmation code you entered was incorrect." Regardless of how many times you try again the same error message appears. The code is entered correctly and according to case sensitivity but is wrong each time over and over again. So then if you register on a desktop PC everything works fine the first time. However, after the email confirmation if you try to then login using a mobile phone, regardless of the browser, same error messages, try again, etc. Can you help me fix this? Thank you.
Generated by SRT Generator

AmigoJack

Re: Users cannot register or login using a mobile phone (iPhone, Android)

Post by AmigoJack »

InterDat wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 am
When using a desktop PC
No, you're using an internet browser.

InterDat wrote:
a mobile phone, iPhone, Android or other
No, they also use internet browsers.

InterDat wrote:
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
I can confirm that this happens in about 1/30 cases and it's always a mobile device, albeit cookie settings of the board installation are correct. I still have no idea about the culprit, but it neither affects all mobile users, nor does it affect all iPhone users. In any case your board installation (server) is not the cause - the internet browser (client) acts wrong and it almost looks as if it won't handle cookies at all or even treats them wrong.

If you want to analyze it then request more details, such as: which internet browser in which version on which operating system in which version. In theory those users should also have problems with other websites.

If you want to advise people to use a workaround then tell them to use a different internet browser (i.e. Firefox instead of Chrome, or Vivaldi instead of Opera).
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Can't access Admin on mobile error 401

Post by Mick »

Your Cookie domain shows hibbardforum.com and it should be .hibbardforum.com, note the leading dot. See Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings. I’ve attempted to register but not received the email yet.

Edit: It all worked fine with my iPhone.

One thing to note the squigley letter CAPTCHA you’re using was beaten by the bots many years ago (not your fault, they need removing from the package) you’ll get overrun with spam. I suggest following Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA., make sure the Q&A CANNOT be Googled. Also, setting the newly registered user group post threshold to one all first posts will be on mod queue.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Mickroz

Post by Mickroz »

Im subscribed to this topic but haven't posted here? Weird...
I had the same, didn't work on chrome mobile, but it worked on firefox mobile, i read somewhere that turning off datasavings in chrome fixed this, and it did, but im on android.
I don't need to "get a life." I'm a Gamer, I have lots of lives!
Q: Whats a hash and a root password?
A: hash gets you high, root password gives you god powers, combine the 2 and you are invincible.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Mickroz wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 am
Im subscribed to this topic but haven't posted here? Weird...
Its probably because the OP replied in another topic that you were subscribed to and it was split off and merged with this one but yes, weird.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Please read: “Am I In The Right Place?” before posting.

Mickroz

Post by Mickroz »

Ah ok, that would make kinda sense.
I don't need to "get a life." I'm a Gamer, I have lots of lives!
Q: Whats a hash and a root password?
A: hash gets you high, root password gives you god powers, combine the 2 and you are invincible.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”