How to limit New User Postings

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
MacUnix

How to limit New User Postings

Post by MacUnix »

Hello,

I would like to do the following permissions.

1. For newly registered users, limit their posting to a specific forum until they hit a x number of postings.

2. Also I would like to block guests/registered users (view/post) a forum and allow only registered users with x number of posts.

Assuming this is built into phpbb 3.2.2. Is this done at the forum level or user level or a combination of both. Any information or insight would be great appreciated. I looked but feel free to point me in the right direction for the information.

Regards!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to limit New User Postings

Post by KevC »

You could do this with permissions but it's quite complicated to allow and deny various groups.

An easier way is probably to use the auto groups extension but that's quite complicated too!
MacUnix wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:18 pm 1. For newly registered users, limit their posting to a specific forum until they hit a x number of postings.
Make a new group and set the maximum membership post value to X number of posts.
Group forum permissions
choose that group
choose the forums you do NOT want them to see
Set the permission for 'can see forum' to NEVER

Then
Choose the forum you DO want them to see and set that to standard access

They will only be able to see that one forum and when they get to X number of posts they will leave the custom group and have free access to all of the forums.
MacUnix wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:18 pm 2. Also I would like to block guests/registered users (view/post) a forum and allow only registered users with x number of posts.
Similar to the above.
You can make a group and set the minimum membership post value to X and then when they reach that number of posts they go in to the group and can see the forums you want.
You would need to set the registered users group and guest group to NO ACCESS for those forums. The YES permission from the new group will override the NO permission from the registered users group.

I think that works!
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

This is very helpful! Thank you for posting the information! I didn’t notice the auto group extension before and now have an idea how to implement thanks to you.

Awesome Sauce!
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

I installed auto groups, thanks for the suggestion. I'm unable to get the results I wanted.

I would like to restrict newly registered users so that they have to make a post into a Welcome Center forum before they can post in other forums. They can view/read all forums.

Forum description....
"Please take a moment to introduce yourself. New members and members who have yet not posted MUST post their first post here to activate their profiles."

Thanks in advance.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I believe you will need an extension for something like this. as far as I know there is no way in standard phpbb to do this.

you can request the extension in the extension request forum.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I would like to restrict newly registered users so that they have to make a post into a Welcome Center forum before they can post in other forums. They can view/read all forums.
Give the group "newly registered users" only write permissions in the "Welcome Center forum"
ACP=> permissions=> forum permissions "select forum" select "newly registered users" => Can reply to topics/Can start new topics
And
ACP => General => User registration settings => New member post limit: set to: "one"
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

MacUnix wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:03 am I would like to restrict newly registered users so that they have to make a post into a Welcome Center forum before they can post in other forums. They can view/read all forums.
Make the maximum post value for that first new group = 1

I suspect you haven't set the 'can view forum' permission to NEVER for the other forums which is why they can see the other forums.

By the way, are you doing this to stop spam?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”