Reminding inactive users via ACP does not send mails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Kigana

Reminding inactive users via ACP does not send mails

Post by Kigana »

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:14 am Please start you own topic with the Support Request Template and screen caps of your email settings.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? https://www.forum-adipositas.de/Board/
Who do you host your board with? Goneo
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.1
What extensions do you have installed? Advanced BBCode Box 3.2.0
AJAX Userinfo 1.0.0
Ban Hammer 1.0.5
Delete My Account 1.0.0
External Link In New Window 1.0.1
LMDI Multilinks 2.0.3
mChat 2.0.3
Notes 2.0.0
Pages 2.0.3
phpBB.de - External Image as Link 1.2.0
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver, Elegance, Elegance SteelBlue
What language(s) is your board currently using? de, en
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? No answer given
Please describe your problem. I can't send reminding mails to inactive users via ACP > Inactive Users > remind

All other mail actions (like at registration, force reactivation, or sending direct mail to a user) seem to work.
Generated by SRT Generator
mail-settings.jpg
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Reminding inactive users via ACP does not send mails

Post by Mick »

My setup is very similar and the only difference I can see from mine, which is working 100%, is you have Force from email address to yes and mine is no. Have you checked that the mails aren't going to a spam folder? Have a look in the board error logs and see if there's anything to do with email in there.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
david63

Post by david63 »

Also
Kigana wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:55 am How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
might be contributing
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Kigana

Post by Kigana »

Mick wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 pm My setup is very similar and the only difference I can see from mine, which is working 100%, is you have Force from email address to yes and mine is no. Have you checked that the mails aren't going to a spam folder? Have a look in the board error logs and see if there's anything to do with email in there.
I have changed the setting from "force: yes" to "no", and I emptied my spam folder prior to the next test. No success.

I have just noticed that ./../includes/acp/acp_send_statistics.php can't be found when I click ACP_SEND_STATISTICS. Could this be related to my problem?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I couldn't say that it's directly related or not but if that file is missing, corrupt or empty it can't help and there's a possibility there are others.

I agree with David though, you should seriously consider re-installing using our files as we don't support host or one-click installs as they alter the software.
    " - Harmony Cobel
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

Kigana wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 pm I have just noticed that ./../includes/acp/acp_send_statistics.php can't be found when I click ACP_SEND_STATISTICS. Could this be related to my problem?
Mick wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm I couldn't say that it's directly related or not but if that file is missing, corrupt or empty it can't help and there's a possibility there are others.
The file missing with intention, because it was deleted in 3.2. But there is a know bug in the migrations responsible for removing acp modules during upgrade, which should be fixed in 3.2.3.
OP, just don't click ACP_SEND_STATISTIK ;) or remove it via your acp module management.
Kigana wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 pm and I emptied my spam folder prior to the next test. No success
Do you know those mails go to the mail account of the inactive user, not your admin account? So, cleaning YOUR spam folder has no effect for the inactive user mail account.

But, if those users are the typical spam account, they don't have a working mail account, so reminding them would be useless and waste of time.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Thank you👍🏼
    " - Harmony Cobel
Kigana

Post by Kigana »

canonknipser wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm
Kigana wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 pm I have just noticed that ./../includes/acp/acp_send_statistics.php can't be found when I click ACP_SEND_STATISTICS. Could this be related to my problem?
Mick wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:02 pm I couldn't say that it's directly related or not but if that file is missing, corrupt or empty it can't help and there's a possibility there are others.
I only used the one click Installation from my host to create the mysql configuration. Afterwards, I unpacked the most recent official version from phpbb.com on top of it, except the configuration file, because my host only provided an older version of phpBB. So there should be no files missing anyway.
canonknipser wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm The file missing with intention, because it was deleted in 3.2. But there is a know bug in the migrations responsible for removing acp modules during upgrade, which should be fixed in 3.2.3.
OP, just don't click ACP_SEND_STATISTIK ;) or remove it via your acp module management.
OK, thank you.
canonknipser wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm
Kigana wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:42 pm and I emptied my spam folder prior to the next test. No success
Do you know those mails go to the mail account of the inactive user, not your admin account? So, cleaning YOUR spam folder has no effect for the inactive user mail account.
Funny idea, but - no. Of course I created a test account for that purpose, and tried to send a reminder to one of my own mail accounts. It rather looks like the forum does not send mass mails to inactive users at all.
canonknipser wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:41 pm But, if those users are the typical spam account, they don't have a working mail account, so reminding them would be useless and waste of time.
In this special case: no. I manually deactivated some of my users who had registered, clicked the activation link, and then didn't return. They have all been very active users before, when I operated my forum with YaBB1, and I want to encourage them to return and give phpBB a try.

When I changed my forum software, the first reactions from my users were: "Oh dear, now all has changed, I don't know how this forum works, I don't know how to handle this!", but now, after a few weeks, everybody is extremely happy and tells me that phpBB is so much better and far more convenient. Only a small Group of formely very active users does not show up again. We are a very small community with quite personal relationships, and we are missing these persons.

As a workaround, I have now reactivated these members an put them into a special group. Now I can use "mass mail" to one group via ACP.
But, since the ACP offers "reminders" to inactive members, and does not send these mails, I think this is a bug.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If you’ve got lots of inactive users who registered and cleared off never to return, usually their last active time is a few minutes after they registered or have no “last active” time, I’d say the majority are probably spam bots. Many spam bots use fictitious email addresses as well so any mails you send wouldn’t reach their target.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Kigana

Post by Kigana »

Mick wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:42 am If you’ve got lots of inactive users who registered and cleared off never to return, usually their last active time is a few minutes after they registered or have no “last active” time, I’d say the majority are probably spam bots. Many spam bots use fictitious email addresses as well so any mails you send wouldn’t reach their target.
The mail addresses in question have been validated. Also, I do get bounce mails from users with invalid mail addresses, and I always remove their accounts.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”