Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:35 am

This feature seems to be a little quirky as if it seems to randomly re-set itself.

My experience with it on other forums was always that it showed everything new since my last visit.

I guess I could live with if it only showed what was new "today" meaning only posts from the current date would show, but it doesn't even do that.

I will see maybe 10 new topics, then when I look again, minutes later, "no new topics". It give the impression there is often no activity on my forum which is a bummer. Most users start there.

I've dug through settings but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have any ideas?

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Re: New Posts since last visit

Post by kinerity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:36 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? www.cultoftarotforum.com
Who do you host your board with? Bluehost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? Auto Groups 2.0.0 Details Disable
Board Announcements 1.0.6 Details Disable
Collapsible Forum Categories 1.0.2 Details Disable
Copyright in footer 1.0.1 Details Disable
Custom Registration Agreement 1.0.0 Details Disable
Footerlinks 1.3.9 Details Disable
gn36 - Enforce guest usernames 1.0.0 Details Disable
Google Analytics 1.0.3 Details Disable
Google Translator 1.0.2 Details Disable
Header Banner with Moon Phase 3.2.1 Details Disable
Inline images in attachment 1.0.0 Details Disable
Pages 2.0.2 Details Disable
Pages: TinyMCE WYSIWYG Add-on 3.1.0 Details Disable
phpBB3 SEO Sitemap 1.1.1 Details Disable
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 1.0.1 Details Disable
phpBB SiteMaker 3.1.0 Details Disable
PM Welcome 1.0.1 Details Disable
Smart Subjects 1.0.0 Details Disable
User details 2.1.1-rc1 Details Disable
VigLink 1.0.0 Details Disable
Youtube Videos Gallery
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver, pycode, elegance (all elegance styles)
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English en 51
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB

What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? none really. I haven't done anything to the board since it launched May 25th. prior to that there were no real "new topics" as there were no members. The issue happens randomly although has become more noticeable as activity on the forum has picked up.
Please describe your problem. "New Topics" seems to randomly re-set itself, often going from, for example, 10 new topics to "no new topics" spontaneously giving the impression to users that there is no activity on the forum. My understanding of the "New Topics" feature was that it would show all new topics since you last checked.

I also think the "Unread topics" is randomly resetting although I don't use that one so often. I know there are many more topics I have not read then it shows.
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by lavalamp213 on Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Have you tried disabling those extensions one by one to see if maybe one of them is causing your issue? I see a few that deal with posts/topics.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:15 pm

I tried disabling a couple of them but the rest I'd really rather not live without.

Could it be something else?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm

The point is, whether or not you need the extension, is irrelevant. The test is to disable them all and see what happens. If the issue goes away you know it’s an extension so you add them back one at a time until the issue returns then you know what’s causing it. If it makes no difference it’s not an extension. Is it the same in prosilver?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm

It is not "New since last visit". It is "New since last login".
If your session abruptly ends and your session automatically logins in again, then your "New" list will be emptied. I see that happen here at phpbb.com all the time.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:07 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:12 pm
The point is, whether or not you need the extension, is irrelevant. The test is to disable them all and see what happens. If the issue goes away you know it’s an extension so you add them back one at a time until the issue returns then you know what’s causing it. If it makes no difference it’s not an extension. Is it the same in prosilver?
I get that, but I'm thinking the issue, though annoying, isn't worth disabling extensions that are in use like sitemaker. I don't know what would happen if I disable it, would I need to rebuild everything, all the blocks, again? Not worth it.

I know that what you are describing would be the correct way to sniff out the problem. I just don't want to create a worse problem for myself than the one I'm trying to fix. So before I go would go down that road, I'm wondering if there may be some other explanation, for example:
Brf wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:16 pm
It is not "New since last visit". It is "New since last login".
If your session abruptly ends and your session automatically logins in again, then your "New" list will be emptied. I see that happen here at phpbb.com all the time.
This actually makes a lot more sense to me and would explain what I thought of as "random" being actually related to my logging out. I had misunderstood what "New Topics" actually meant.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm

also, disabling an extension does not lose any settings for that extension. it just disables it so you can see if the board is working properly without it.

once you have done the testing and you have enabled them all again, any data that was associated with the extension is still there with no problem.

you could shut the board down for an hour so you can test. disabling them all and the re enabling them one at a time and testing should not take more than an hour.

if it was going to hurt your board , the staff here would certainly not tell you to do it.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 pm

You came here looking for help but won’t act on the advice given to you by Kinerty, that’s down to you but you are wasting peoples (private) time. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you act the same way.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 pm

Mick wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 pm
You came here looking for help but won’t act on the advice given to you Kinerty, that’s down to you but you are wasting peoples (private) time. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you act the same way.
I appreciate all the help I have ever gotten here immensely. I'm not sure why you take my response as a reluctance to act on advice. I'm just trying to understand it. I know no one would advise me to hurt my board. I have however, hurt my board myself by doing things I did not fully understand before doing them.

To be really honest, as stupid as it may sound, what Brf told me was, I am pretty certain, the answer to my question. I was misunderstanding the feature altogether not realising that logging out was creating the "issue" which is probably not an "issue" at all.

I really apologise for making anyone feel I was wasting their time. In the future I will try to express myself better.

lavalamp213

Post by lavalamp213 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:48 pm
also, disabling an extension does not lose any settings for that extension. it just disables it so you can see if the board is working properly without it.

once you have done the testing and you have enabled them all again, any data that was associated with the extension is still there with no problem.

you could shut the board down for an hour so you can test. disabling them all and the re enabling them one at a time and testing should not take more than an hour.
Thank you Robert. This is good to know.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”