Problem changing registration agreement

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
netingirl

Problem changing registration agreement

Post by netingirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:40 pm

I'm trying to update the registration agreement for my board. Per the article below I have downloaded ucp.php and edited, but each time I upload and click "Register" to test it out the page comes up blank - no error message - just blank. I can see the path is the same registration path but it doesn't work. I thought I was editing incorrectly, so made sure it was plain text, tried altering from binary to ascii on the ftp upload but no success. I'm a bit of a newbie, so could be something simple... Any suggestions???

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... our-board/

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Problem changing registration agreement

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:54 pm

copy and paste exactly what you have changed here in a post so we can see where your mistake is.
remember, you have to be exact. even a comma out of place will cause the blank page etc.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:04 pm

Also use Notepad++, standard windows text editor will also break the file.
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.7.html
We offer fun HTML5 games for young and old.
Register a free account & enjoy all functions!
Save your score, challenge other members or play along with our tournaments.

~~~ https://www.solidjeuh.be ~~~

netingirl

Post by netingirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm on a Mac, so used TextEdit and made sure it was set to plain text...

I've copied the top portion of the file and bolded the portion I'm trying to add, I didn't edit past here....

<?php
/**
* This file is part of the phpBB Forum Software package.
* @copyright (c) phpBB Limited <https://www.phpbb.com>
* @license GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL-2.0)
* For full copyright and license information, please see
* the docs/CREDITS.txt file.
*/

/**
* DO NOT CHANGE
*/
if (!defined('IN_PHPBB'))
{
exit;
}

if (empty($lang) || !is_array($lang))
{
$lang = array();
}

// DEVELOPERS PLEASE NOTE
//
// All language files should use UTF-8 as their encoding and the files must not contain a BOM.
//
// Placeholders can now contain order information, e.g. instead of
// 'Page %s of %s' you can (and should) write 'Page %1$s of %2$s', this allows
// translators to re-order the output of data while ensuring it remains correct
//
// You do not need this where single placeholders are used, e.g. 'Message %d' is fine
// equally where a string contains only two placeholders which are used to wrap text
// in a url you again do not need to specify an order e.g., 'Click %sHERE%s' is fine

// Privacy policy and T&C
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
'TERMS_OF_USE_CONTENT' => ‘This board is intended for social communications. WE ARE NOT HARVESTING YOUR EMAIL AND INFORMATION. If you are worried about receiving unwanted emails in the future please feel to register for the board with a "fake" or secondary email that you use only for this purpose. The email you register with does need to work though, as you'll need it to activate your account and participate on the board - it doesn't have to have anything to do with your personal and private email account, and you can never look at the account again if you choose not to. You can also choose to delete your chat board account at any time. There are no strings attached - participate only as you choose and when you choose.
<br />
All we ask is that you provide your valid unit number and name to register. The board is intended for owners and renters at Aversana so this will help us limit it to those users only.
<br />

By accessing “%1$s” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “%1$s”, “%2$s”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “%1$s”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “%1$s” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.<br />

</Solidjeuh>
Name: Andy Dm

Post by </Solidjeuh> » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Try this:

Code: Select all

<?php
/**
* This file is part of the phpBB Forum Software package.
* @copyright (c) phpBB Limited <https://www.phpbb.com>
* @license GNU General Public License, version 2 (GPL-2.0)
* For full copyright and license information, please see
* the docs/CREDITS.txt file.
*/

/**
* DO NOT CHANGE
*/
if (!defined('IN_PHPBB'))
{
exit;
}

if (empty($lang) || !is_array($lang))
{
$lang = array();
}

// DEVELOPERS PLEASE NOTE
//
// All language files should use UTF-8 as their encoding and the files must not contain a BOM.
//
// Placeholders can now contain order information, e.g. instead of
// 'Page %s of %s' you can (and should) write 'Page %1$s of %2$s', this allows
// translators to re-order the output of data while ensuring it remains correct
//
// You do not need this where single placeholders are used, e.g. 'Message %d' is fine
// equally where a string contains only two placeholders which are used to wrap text
// in a url you again do not need to specify an order e.g., 'Click %sHERE%s' is fine

// Privacy policy and T&C
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
'TERMS_OF_USE_CONTENT' => 'This board is intended for social communications. WE ARE NOT HARVESTING YOUR EMAIL AND INFORMATION. If you are worried about receiving unwanted emails in the future please feel to register for the board with a “fake” or secondary email that you use only for this purpose. The email you register with does need to work though, as you’ll need it to activate your account and participate on the board - it doesn’t have to have anything to do with your personal and private email account, and you can never look at the account again if you choose not to. You can also choose to delete your chat board account at any time. There are no strings attached - participate only as you choose and when you choose.
<br />
All we ask is that you provide your valid unit number and name to register. The board is intended for owners and renters at Aversana so this will help us limit it to those users only.
<br />
By accessing “%1$s” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “%1$s”, “%2$s”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “%1$s”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “%1$s” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.<br />,
// Some characters you may want to copy&paste: ‚ ‘ ’ « » „ “ ” …
We offer fun HTML5 games for young and old.
Register a free account & enjoy all functions!
Save your score, challenge other members or play along with our tournaments.

~~~ https://www.solidjeuh.be ~~~

netingirl

Post by netingirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 pm

I copied and replaced and it made a change, but isn't quite right... I must have goofed somewhere.

http://www.aversanaowners.com/forum/ucp ... e=register

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:48 pm

You have to escape apostrophes with a backslash. So doesn't becomes doesn\'t. Or just don't use apostrophes.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

netingirl

Post by netingirl » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:50 pm

You're awesome Froddelaar! Thank you so much! Thanks to the other board members who helped out as well.
I got it corrected. I think I had missed something when I copied and pasted the first time.

3Di
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:15 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:48 pm
You have to escape apostrophes with a backslash. So doesn't becomes doesn\'t. Or just don't use apostrophes.
Some news: instead use UTF-8 chars.
On a side note: extensions will be not validated any more with that old habit, lesson taken.

So doesn't becomes doesn’t.
Froddelaar wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:26 pm
// Some characters you may want to copy&paste: ‚ ‘ ’ « » „ “ ” …
In fact.
Also ellipsis aren't ... but and so on… :)
:game_die: The new Dice Roller extension for phpBB 3.2 is out! :game_die:

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”