[SOLVED] RSS feeds

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ferryboat

RSS thematic feed-links redirect to a same global feed

Post by ferryboat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:30 pm

For a long period I've thought that my RSS feeds settings were not OK, not having solution to the related problem: I could only have a global feed.
Now I've discovered that the links I can find in the source-code (link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml) of the page of every thematic room (of my forum) really address to thematic feeds, automatically generated.
Their URL is something like this https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/11

Unfortunately every RSS button of my thematic forums still produce only the global feed, the same in each forum, regardeless of which of the following link i push:
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=1
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=2
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=3
https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=11

Which is the right kind of link I should expect it work, when I push the RSS buttons of the rooms of my forum?

How can I fix this issue?
Last edited by ferryboat on Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: RSS thematic feed-links redirect to a same global feed

Post by Mick » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:18 pm

Please don’t create multiple topics on the same subject, I’ve merged the two I can see. Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

ferryboat

Post by ferryboat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:47 pm

I'm not going to answer your bureaucratic form.

People like you make PHPBB forum too heavy.

Hopefully there are other people here who are going to answer my question anyway.

In other case I will ask my questions in newsgroups and generic forums.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Ok, with bureaucracy in mind I’ll mark this topic solved.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Ger
Recognised Extension Developer

Re: RSS feeds

Post by Ger » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Well, there might be something wrong, but it will be very difficult to help you if you refuse to provide information. We don't exactly have crystal balls here you know.

You might at the very least provide your current settings from ACP -> Tab General -> Feed settings as well as your board URL and phpBB version.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:
-Available for custom work-

ferryboat

Re: RSS feeds

Post by ferryboat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:29 pm

I've finally solved my problem.
The solution has come!

_Many thanks to all those who have profitably collaborated to the solution of my question._

Here it is my solution:

I've opened the style (Latte), in its "forumlist_body.html" template and I've realized that seemingly the expression

"{U_FEED}?f={forumrow.FORUM_ID}"

didn't work and, for a reason that I can't understand, it can't retrieve the right messages to join in the Atom feed of each board.

So I've modified
{U_FEED}?f={forumrow.FORUM_ID} to -> {U_FEED}/forum/{forumrow.FORUM_ID}

and now each atom feed displays the right links of each forum, inside.

An example of the new feeds is: https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed/forum/15

instead of the previous: https://www.mysite.xxx/forum/app.php/feed?f=15

(I've only reproduced, this way, the Atom-feed that I can find listed in the meta tag of each forum page: it is different with respect to the one that I could find in each board's rss link)

and more importantly:
it works! :idea: :idea:

I've tried this modification in Latte and Prosilver and it works.

Neverlands

Re: [SOLVED] RSS feeds

Post by Neverlands » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello Ferryboat,

many thanks for posting your solution - it had exactly the same problem. Now the forum feed links work perfectly :D
Btw. I also use Café Latte for one of my boards.

Based on your solution I've also made some changes to the overall_header.html.

Open: /styles/latte_pendragon/template/overall_header.html
Find:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_OVERALL --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {SITENAME}" href="{U_FEED}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_NEWS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_NEWS}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=news"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_FORUMS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_ALL_FORUMS}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=forums"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPICS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_TOPICS_NEW}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=topics"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPICS_ACTIVE --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_TOPICS_ACTIVE}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=topics_active"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_FORUM and S_FORUM_ID --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FORUM} - {FORUM_NAME}" href="{U_FEED}?f={S_FORUM_ID}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPIC and S_TOPIC_ID --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_TOPIC} - {TOPIC_TITLE}" href="{U_FEED}?f={S_FORUM_ID}&amp;t={S_TOPIC_ID}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- EVENT overall_header_feeds -->
<!-- ENDIF -->
Replace with:

Code: Select all

<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_OVERALL --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {SITENAME}" href="{U_FEED}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_NEWS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_NEWS}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=news"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_FORUMS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_ALL_FORUMS}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=forums"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPICS --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_TOPICS_NEW}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=topics"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPICS_ACTIVE --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FEED_TOPICS_ACTIVE}" href="{U_FEED}?mode=topics_active"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_FORUM and S_FORUM_ID --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_FORUM} - {FORUM_NAME}" href="{U_FEED}/forum/{FORUM_ID}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- IF S_ENABLE_FEEDS_TOPIC and S_TOPIC_ID --><link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="{L_FEED} - {L_TOPIC} - {TOPIC_TITLE}" href="{U_FEED}/topic/{S_TOPIC_ID}"><!-- ENDIF -->
	<!-- EVENT overall_header_feeds -->
<!-- ENDIF -->

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”