Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Post Reply
mugenh
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 am

Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by mugenh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am

Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:52 am

That sounds like a dangerous practice to me. If a user wanted to he could post 50 topics or posts in double quick time then obliterate your board.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

mugenh
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 am

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by mugenh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:55 am

Mick wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:52 am
That sounds like a dangerous practice to me. If a user wanted to he could post 50 topics or posts in double quick time then obliterate your board.
I didn't think of that. Perhaps we could also have some kind of minimum number of days that the user has registered on the forum?

I'm just trying to find a way to ease down the burden on the moderator to delete spam posts, and put it somehow on an automated bot or some sort of rule/option. The last thing that I want is for my moderator to spend hours going through spam posts and deleting them manually.

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 am

For what you're asking you'd need an extension which you can request in Extension Requests but if this is all about spam there are better ways of handling it. Can you post a link to your board so we can have a look to see if we can help please?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
AmigoJack
Registered User
Posts: 5333
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am
Location: グリーン ヒル ゾーン
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 am

Are there really that many users who would really become moderators? It sounds like automating (the act of assigning a group membership) a task that will be carried out maybe 6 times a year only.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████

User avatar
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Posts: 3250
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am
Location: Swearing at the PC, UK
Name: James
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by HiFiKabin » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:24 am

Quantity (of posts) does not always equate to quality (of persons intelligence)

Making people Moderators automatically is doomed to failure.

There are far better and easier ways to deal with SPAM, see the info below.

See How to clean up a board hit by spam for some suggestions.

How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
Please visit Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for various options for fighting spam in phpBB.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by JLA » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm

mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am
Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Have you thought about setting up some automated checks for spam protection? It can be quite effective and cuts down on moderation overhead.

User avatar
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 49557
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:21 am
Location: The U.P.
Name: Steve
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by stevemaury » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm

But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

mugenh
Registered User
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:31 am

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by mugenh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm

JLA wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm
mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am
Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Have you thought about setting up some automated checks for spam protection? It can be quite effective and cuts down on moderation overhead.
Yes. I was just wondering about taking precautions before the website gets hit by spam. I come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high. Not that I mean to compare with other places, but I just speak from experience after seeing other sites in my country.

stevemaury wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm
But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
Great! Thanks for suggesting this! I think I'm done with this thread. :thumbsup:

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:07 pm

mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm
I come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high
Everywhere is the same, there are no boundaries.
mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm
I think I'm done with this thread
Topic, there are no threads in phpBB.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
JLA
Registered User
Posts: 479
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: USA
Name: JLA FORUMS
Contact:

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by JLA » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:10 pm

mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm
JLA wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm
mugenh wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am
Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Have you thought about setting up some automated checks for spam protection? It can be quite effective and cuts down on moderation overhead.
Yes. I was just wondering about taking precautions before the website gets hit by spam. I come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high. Not that I mean to compare with other places, but I just speak from experience after seeing other sites in my country.

stevemaury wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm
But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
Great! Thanks for suggesting this! I think I'm done with this thread. :thumbsup:
well you should really consider setting up multiple layers of automated checks for spam protection as well as a real time log monitor tool such as the old version (version 3) of WhosOn used in conjunction with logging tools in PHPBB. You'll be able to knock out a great majority of it with only a fraction of the resources/overhead typically needed to moderate and manage your board

User avatar
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Posts: 20134
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:49 am
Location: Cardiff

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by Mick » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:15 pm

A properly set up Q&A with NRU post threshold set at one is enough for the average board owner, there’s no need to go over the top.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

User avatar
warmweer
Registered User
Posts: 1047
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:34 am
Location: Van Allen Belt ... well actually Belgium

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by warmweer » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:43 pm

If you do for the automatic moderator option, make sure those moderators only have soft-delete permissions so that you can at least check on what has been deleted (and restore if necessary). Once a certain automatic moderator has gained your trust, then you could consider perma-delete permissions.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Post Reply

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andares, Crizzo, jgs240, Restless Rancor, sakm, timcumine and 96 guests