Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
mugenh

Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by mugenh »

Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by Mick »

That sounds like a dangerous practice to me. If a user wanted to he could post 50 topics or posts in double quick time then obliterate your board.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
mugenh

Re: Is there a way to make normal users into moderators after they reach a certain number of posts?

Post by mugenh »

Mick wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:52 am That sounds like a dangerous practice to me. If a user wanted to he could post 50 topics or posts in double quick time then obliterate your board.
I didn't think of that. Perhaps we could also have some kind of minimum number of days that the user has registered on the forum?

I'm just trying to find a way to ease down the burden on the moderator to delete spam posts, and put it somehow on an automated bot or some sort of rule/option. The last thing that I want is for my moderator to spend hours going through spam posts and deleting them manually.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

For what you're asking you'd need an extension which you can request in Extension Requests but if this is all about spam there are better ways of handling it. Can you post a link to your board so we can have a look to see if we can help please?
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Are there really that many users who would really become moderators? It sounds like automating (the act of assigning a group membership) a task that will be carried out maybe 6 times a year only.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Quantity (of posts) does not always equate to quality (of persons intelligence)

Making people Moderators automatically is doomed to failure.

There are far better and easier ways to deal with SPAM, see the info below.

See How to clean up a board hit by spam for some suggestions.

How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
Please visit Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for various options for fighting spam in phpBB.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

mugenh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Have you thought about setting up some automated checks for spam protection? It can be quite effective and cuts down on moderation overhead.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
mugenh

Post by mugenh »

JLA wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm
mugenh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:48 am Let's say that a particular member is very active in my forum. I would like that once he reaches 50 posts, then he becomes a moderator who can delete posts that are flagged by the members.
Have you thought about setting up some automated checks for spam protection? It can be quite effective and cuts down on moderation overhead.
Yes. I was just wondering about taking precautions before the website gets hit by spam. I come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high. Not that I mean to compare with other places, but I just speak from experience after seeing other sites in my country.

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
Great! Thanks for suggesting this! I think I'm done with this thread. :thumbsup:
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

mugenh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pmI come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high
Everywhere is the same, there are no boundaries.
mugenh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pmI think I'm done with this thread
Topic, there are no threads in phpBB.
    " - Harmony Cobel
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

mugenh wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 pm
JLA wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm
Yes. I was just wondering about taking precautions before the website gets hit by spam. I come from a country where the spam rate is pretty high. Not that I mean to compare with other places, but I just speak from experience after seeing other sites in my country.

stevemaury wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:08 pm But to answer the question the Autogroup Extension can do this.
Great! Thanks for suggesting this! I think I'm done with this thread. :thumbsup:
well you should really consider setting up multiple layers of automated checks for spam protection as well as a real time log monitor tool such as the old version (version 3) of WhosOn used in conjunction with logging tools in PHPBB. You'll be able to knock out a great majority of it with only a fraction of the resources/overhead typically needed to moderate and manage your board
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

A properly set up Q&A with NRU post threshold set at one is enough for the average board owner, there’s no need to go over the top.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

If you do for the automatic moderator option, make sure those moderators only have soft-delete permissions so that you can at least check on what has been deleted (and restore if necessary). Once a certain automatic moderator has gained your trust, then you could consider perma-delete permissions.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”