3.2.1 running under php version 7.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BeBop

3.2.1 running under php version 7.2

Post by BeBop »

I wonder is someone could advise us, we are two elderly gentlemen who use version 3.2.1 of the phpBB board software to run a forum linked to a knowledge and learning focused website.

After reading about the various issues related to the version phpBB board 3.2.2 upgrade and following consultation with experts here at user support, we decided not to proceed with the upgrade from version 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 and perhaps wait until some issues were hopefully fixed.

However, in the past couple of days we have received notice of an upgrade from our host provider UK2 confirming that they are due to upgrade the php coding language from version 7.0 to version 7.2 and asked us to ensure that the version of the phpBB software 3.2.1which we run will operate without problem under php version 7.2.

Would someone be kind enough to confirm that phpBB board v3.2.1 will function seamlessly under php version 7.2.
Thank you in advance and kind regards BeBop
AlfredoRamos
Recognised Extension Developer
Name: Alfredo

Re: 3.2.1 running under php version 7.2

Post by AlfredoRamos »

It works fine, do you have any issues? I've been running PHP 7.2 since it came out with no issues.
Some of my phpBB extensions:
:chart_with_upwards_trend: SEO Metadata | Image Markdown | :shield: hCaptcha
:trophy: Check out all my validated extensions :trophy:

:penguin: Arch Linux user | Linux Boards :penguin:
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Dear AbaddonOrmuz,

Many thanks for your advice, no we are not experiencing problems at the moment as our host provider has not upgraded to php 7.0 to 7.2 yet, that is due to take place on 16th of August. Basically, we are making sure that we don't have to do anything to phpBB board version 3.2.1 for it to continue running without problems.

We assume from your reply, that you are using version 3.2.1 but have been running it successfully with php 7.2 for quite some time?

Thank you and best regards BeBop
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

PHP 7.2 is supported starting from phpBB 3.2.2 :)
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Paul thank you, that is a quite different response, so what changes would we have to make to 3.2.1 to make it run successfully with php 7.2, we would have big problems with attacheed images and our site colours plus other issues if we upgraded to 3.2.2, we have settled on 3.2.1 as a stable platform?

Thanks and regards BeBop
Paul
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

You will need to look at the git commit logs to find out exactly what is needed. I don't think we really keep track of what specific changes were required for the php 7.2 compatiblity. It is also always suggested to keep up to date with versions released.
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Paul,

We are not techhnicians, we are two old men that muddle through, we have no idea what it is you have just recommended we read through to find out about actions to make 3.2.1 compatible with php 7.2 . Our host provider said he was 80% + sure it would work but recommended we come back to the user support board. Do you think any of your colleagues couuld add to your reply and shed some light on the subject. We would be facing a massive upheaval to upgrade to v3.2.2 plus potentially the loss of massively important data. We were advised on this board to stay where we were, given the guarantees we were looking for?

We really need some clarity on the subject.

Thanks and regards BeBop
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

We would be facing a massive upheaval to upgrade to v3.2.2 plus potentially the loss of massively important data.
Why?
From 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 it is only a very little step.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Hi Janus thank you for your reply, because every time we upgrade we lose all of our 'attached' images on posts and we have problems restoring the site colours black and red, and we were told better to not upgrade to 3.2.2 on this user support board, we have just managed to get everything restored and settled in 3.2.1 (users are still reporting problems with 3.2.2) aafter many months. Please is there any way we can stay with 3.2.1 after our host provider upgrades to php 7.2. then we can look at it again our technical resources are shared, very busy so not available immediately, so we have to try and get through issues as best we can.

Thanks and regards BeBop
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I update from 3.0.1 to 3.2.2 and every step between and never lost a image, so you are doing something very wrong.

But I found it a little strange that your host don't have a option to choose between php versions.
I can choose between 5.6 7.0 7.1 and 7.2
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s quite simple to update see Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x. You would have a back up in any case so you’d lose nothing. I agree with the comments above, there’s no reason to lose anything apart from, maybe, some customisation that presumably you’ve catalogued?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
BeBop

Post by BeBop »

Dear Janus and Mick,

Thank you for all your help, yes we might be doing something wrong to lose the 'attached' images, but if we are nobody understands what it is that's going wrong and we don't understand what you mean by 'catalogued'.

Would you be kind enough to confirm whether 3.2.1 will definitely NOT work under php 7.2 please or whether there is a parameter change that will allow it to work please?

Thank you and sorry to be a pain.

Kind Regards and thanks for your patience BeBop
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Paul wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:03 amPHP 7.2 is supported starting from phpBB 3.2.2 :)
Catalogued means as in keeping a record of what you’ve done.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

BeBop wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:41 am Paul thank you, that is a quite different response, so what changes would we have to make to 3.2.1 to make it run successfully with php 7.2, we would have big problems with attacheed images
Is this, Problem with uploading attachment (i see only one attachment), the problem you encountered? If so, the topic indicates the changes that will be part of 3.2.3 to resolve the problem and they can be applied against 3.2.2 should you desire.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If you backup, it is impossible to lose any data or images. If you have custom colors for your style, you will have to redo those, and in any event style versions must match phpBB versions so you cannot use an older version style anyway.

This elderly gentleman recommends following this - Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x

You will note that at no time are your existing images moved or affected in any way.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”