Board Contact Email

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DaveyTut

Re: Board Contact Email

Post by DaveyTut » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 pm

ACP => General=> email settings =>
this is enabled with my email address listed on that admin page.

When I select "send a test email", shouldn't I be getting a test email?

Thank you for all your help,
DaveyTut

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am

DaveyTut wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:55 pm
When I select "send a test email", shouldn't I be getting a test email?
Yes, you should. As a test, create an email address from your domain/hosting account, harry@mydomain.com, for example. Don’t use admin@ or info@. Use the new email address instead of the one you’re using now, turn SMTP off and test.
Mick wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:06 am
you need to address your captcha.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

DaveyTut

Post by DaveyTut » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 am

Do you mean turn the SMTP off from below, found on the ACP Email Settings link?

Use SMTP server for email:
Select “Yes” if you want or have to send email via a named server instead of the local mail function.

I used several email address other than my original one and none worked (eg @gmail, heritage1.net)

I've sent this to the tech at my hosting company, the one who installed the board, asking him to do this file replacement.
Try a file replacement. Knowledge Base - Updating 3.2.x

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:51 am

Yes, just change the email address to an email not from gmail or other popular free email providers and turn SMTP off and see what happens. If it doesn’t improve things put back the original email address and turn SMTP back on. If you’ve already done that then there’s no gain in repeating it.
DaveyTut wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:12 am
I've sent this to the tech at my hosting company, the one who installed the board, asking him to do this file replacement
Is your board a host provided one-click install? Do you have full control of your board such as FTP, phpMyAdin and cPanel? If you have access you should be doing this yourself by the method you describe using a fresh set of files from here, but, if your tech guy does do it, make sure you instruct him to use the proper files not their own.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

DaveyTut

Post by DaveyTut » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Mick,

They just installed it for me but I have full control.

I think I fixed it. They must have made some changes to my email server settings on their end to cause this all of a sudden.
I added my outgoing SMTP server address and the Outgoing SMTP port and it worked.

I did ask them if my board should be SSL secured. I will wait to hear back from them on that. I'm pretty sure you would say "YES" on that, right?

Anyway, thank you for all your help.
David

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”