500 Error On Standard Search Only While Logged In - Resolved

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
KevinHandle

500 Error On Standard Search Only While Logged In - Resolved

Post by KevinHandle »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? [Redacted]
Who do you host your board with? Digital Ocean
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Ban Hammer
Profile side switcher
VigLink
What styles do you currently have installed? Flat Style
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to phpBB but not PHP
What username can be used to view this issue? [Redacted]
What password can be used to view this issue? [Redacted]
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Attempted a search while logged in.
Please describe your problem. While logged in, attempting to use the standard search function in the search field at the top right of the forum index results in a 500 error.
nginx logs state

Code: Select all

FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 431" while reading response header from upstream, client: [IP], server: [Server], request: "GET /search.php?keywords=test HTTP/1.1", upstream: [php version] [host] [referrer]

I attempted to change the search type, but ran into the same problems. All boards are marked yes for search index.
I tried changing the timeout to 120 and got the same issue (but with 120 instead of 30)

Here is where it gets tricky. Changing it to Advanced Search by clicking the gear icon and changing the search type to Topics results in a completed search. Being logged out and using the standard search box also results in a completed search.
Generated by SRT Generator

Wondering if it is a PHP permissions issue with the server or something? I know I had to change some stuff to get the install working on nginx, but that was months ago. It is entirely possible this was the first time anyone has attempted to use the search function and it has been broken the entire time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by KevinHandle on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KevinHandle

Re: 500 Error On Standard Search Only While Logged In

Post by KevinHandle »

So, this a complete stumper for everyone else too? Nobody seems to have an answer for this anywhere I ask.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Since this is a server error, what do the server error logs say?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
KevinHandle

Post by KevinHandle »

nginx logs state

FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in vendor/symfony/polyfill-mbstring/Mbstring.php on line 431" while reading response header from upstream, client: [IP], server: [Server], request: "GET /search.php?keywords=test HTTP/1.1", upstream: [php version] [host] [referrer]
I attempted to change the search type, but ran into the same problems. All boards are marked yes for search index.
I tried changing the timeout to 120 and got the same issue (but with 120 instead of 30)

UPDATE: This only occurs when there are results. I checked my mySQL logs and it had a permission denied (PASSWORD) issue. I'm going to keep working on this and see if I can find a solution.

EDIT:
Changed the timeout in php as well as nginx (had only done the nginx one before) and cleared the board cache and now it works, it's just really slow. At least the issue of the white screen is resolved. Now to figure out this slow search on a 22MB DB
jonhcarter

Re: 500 Error On Standard Search Only While Logged In - Resolved

Post by jonhcarter »

create a php.ini file in root folder & add this code in your php.ini file. you can change values according to your needs.

max_execution_time = 360      ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds 
max_input_time = 120          ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
max_input_nesting_level = 64 ; Maximum input variable nesting level
memory_limit = 128M           ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (128MB by default)
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

There are some other reports about slow searches and timeouts. See eg. viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2439031#p15070801 for a possible reason and solution
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
KevinHandle

Post by KevinHandle »

Fantastic, thanks for the help. A simple

sudo apt-get install php7.0-mbstring
got it fixed.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”