reCaptcha v2 thinks it's v1?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
OMGIDKWhatToUse

reCaptcha v2 thinks it's v1?

Post by OMGIDKWhatToUse » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:54 pm

I've seen a lot of discussion regarding reCaptcha, but nothing I have found seems to quite be what I'm looking for...

I have my forum set up so I have to approve each request manually. We're a small, private group, and so this isn't open to the general public. I have several reasons for wanting to sue reCaptcha. The GD image options are terribly hard to read by many humans. While they probably work well to keep out spambots, I can't even read them myself so I'm not going to subject my users to them. I've had trouble with Q&A in the past, too. I've gone so far as to put in the question things like "Just type the word purple" and my users still get confused. Simple image is what I'm using, and I get dozens or more spam user requests daily, and they are increasing.

I had reCaptcha working in the past, but now it will not. I've got my public and private keys configured for reCaptcha v2. However when I go to the user registration page, instead of the reCaptcha, it displays a message that reCaptcha v1 is no longer supported. This suggests to me that PHPBB is still calling the v1 api. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a way around it?

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Re: reCaptcha v2 thinks it's v1?

Post by Noxwizard » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:07 pm

We switched it over to reCaptcha 2.0 in 2015.
Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

OMGIDKWhatToUse

Post by OMGIDKWhatToUse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:11 am

Template is below. I did try upgrading the site to 3.2.3 and still have the same issue

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.3
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? GoDaddy
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.2
What extensions do you have installed? External Links Open in New Window 1.0.6
VigLink 1.0.3
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver; WoWDraenor
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None. Site works for the most part. Had re-captcha working, then it suddenly just stopped. Updated after it already stopped working to see if it would help.
Please describe your problem. reCaptcha will not work. Anyone who tries to register sees a message "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN". Double checked in Google and confirmed site type is v2, not v1. Even deleted and re-created and entered new public and private keys on the Spambot countermeasures page. The site still seems to be trying to use v1.
Generated by SRT Generator

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 am

Your style is abandoned.
Is it working in prosilver?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

OMGIDKWhatToUse

Post by OMGIDKWhatToUse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:12 pm

I'll check. But why would the style affect what version of reCaptcha is used? Isn't that built into the underlying system?

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:30 pm

I haven't checked, but it could be that part of this is due to outdated template files, which might call the CAPTCHA.

A simple way to check would be to set prosilver to your active style (if you have the most recent version of prosilver installed, of course).
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

OMGIDKWhatToUse

Post by OMGIDKWhatToUse » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:10 pm

So, this still strikes me as weird...

I tested the site with prosilver and reCaptcha does work.

I'm assuming ucp.php is unaffected by the style since it lies outside of the styles directory.

I compared the templates between the two styles and couldn't find any differences that looked significant (to me, anyway) in these files:
ucp_register.html
captcha_default.html
captcha_qa.html
captcha_recaptcha.thml

For laughs, I copied these files from the prosilver style to the WoWDraenor style, cleared my browser cache and tested again. The result is unchanged. What else in a style could possibly have such an effect?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 pm

what is the exact name of your wow draenor style? I only find pbwow3 going all the way back to phpbb 3.0

the current version of pbwow3 does not contain any of the files you said you compared with the prosilver versions. it inherits all those files from prosilver. also, it is for phpbb 3.2.2 but can be updated with only a couple of edits to the style files.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

OMGIDKWhatToUse

Post by OMGIDKWhatToUse » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 am

From the style.cfg:

Code: Select all

# General Information about this style
name = WoWDraenor
copyright = Matti from StylesFactory.pl (3.1.1 v.1.0) © phpBB Limited, 2007
style_version = 3.1.1
phpbb_version = 3.1.1

# Defining a different template bitfield
# template_bitfield = lNg=

# Parent style
# Set value to empty or to this style's name if this style does not have a parent style
# parent = prosilver
The parent statement is commented out, and all of the files mentioned exist in both my prosilver and WoWDraenor folders.
Not sure where I downloaded the theme from, but it looks like it as packaged to have all of the files instead of inheriting from prosilver.
I took the files from the current prosilver and copied them to the theme but it made no difference. Is there any other file in the themes that may influence the captcha behavior?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:14 am

probably the main problem is that you can't use a style for phpbb 3.1.1 in 3.2.2 or 3.2.3

best bet is to choose a different style that works with 3.2.2 or 3.2.3

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”