Some very noob questions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
new.new

Some very noob questions

Post by new.new » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 am

I'd like to use phpbb for my small forum, but i've some very noob questions:
- which version it's better to use? is phbbb2 too "old"?
- i'd like to use a simple graphic like the one on this site, or like this https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB#/me ... silver.png Does it depends on software version or not? I've seen some more "modern" interfaces but i don't like them
- regarding the rules about the password lenght for the users, is it possibile to change them? (ex. change from 10 to 8 charapters, or similar things)
- how much CPU/RAM is needed to run a forum with about 50 users? Is 1GB of ram enought?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Some very noob questions

Post by KevC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am

new.new wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 am
- which version it's better to use? is phbbb2 too "old"?
Support for phpBB2 ended years ago.
The current version is 3.2.2 and is the one you should install.
new.new wrote:
- i'd like to use a simple graphic like the one on this site, or like this https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhpBB#/me ... silver.png Does it depends on software version or not? I've seen some more "modern" interfaces but i don't like them
You can add any logo you like to the software.
new.new wrote:
- regarding the rules about the password lenght for the users, is it possibile to change them? (ex. change from 10 to 8 charapters, or similar things)
Yes there are several options to change the password complexity levels.
new.new wrote:
- how much CPU/RAM is needed to run a forum with about 50 users? Is 1GB of ram enought?
If you mean running it on your own computer, that is highly inadvisable. Hosting is very cheap. Buy a domain name and shared hosting and you'll be fine with whatever the hosting company provides.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

new.new

Post by new.new » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:57 am

KevC wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:49 am
If you mean running it on your own computer, that is highly inadvisable. Hosting is very cheap. Buy a domain name and shared hosting and you'll be fine with whatever the hosting company provides.
yeah, i plan to use an hosting. I found a cheap hosting with 1GB of ram, so i wanted to know if it's enought

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am

It'll be fine.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

new.new

Post by new.new » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:40 pm

KevC wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 am
It'll be fine.
Perfect, thanks.

I've some other questions:
- what is the name of this board's theme and where can i find it? I like it and it can be a good starting point
- is it possible to move the user's info like shown down here?
- is it possible to migrate a forum from tapatalk from phpbb? Tapatalk is certanily based on phpbb3, but they disabled the backup option. I saw there is a crawler in this site but it's really too complicated for me. Maybe someone "trusted" here can do the migration for me? Or maybe it's a standard operation that hosting providers will do? It would be nice to recover the old post on the new platform, but i know it's not easy.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Cheap UK Hosting

new.new

Post by new.new » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:02 pm

thanks!
KevC wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:55 pm
Without the database it's extremely hard to do anything.
yes, it's the reason why we are going to pay for hosting, this way we'll be able to export the database if there are problems with the hosting. Free service usually don't allow export/backups, and in long term it's a big issue.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 pm

A quick search implies that Tapatalk never allow database exports, so unless you can persuade (ie pay them lots and lots of money) you are stuck.

The longer you leave it, the more data you will lose if/when you jump ship.

FWIW my advice would be to bite the bullet and set up your own forum on your own account. Yes, you will lose all current data (members, posts, etc) but then you will have full control over everything.

new.new

Post by new.new » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

HiFiKabin wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:09 pm
FWIW my advice would be to bite the bullet and set up your own forum on your own account. Yes, you will lose all current data (members, posts, etc) but then you will have full control over everything.
yeah, it's what i'm going to do.

Just 2 last questions:
- some hostings can install phpbb directly from panel, without having to install it manually. If i do so, will it also install automatically all the software needed to run phpbb (ex. sql database etc.)? Or are these softwares usually already installed in the OS?
- is there some "recommended" OS? My current idea was using Ubuntu (just because it's a widely used OS with good documentantion)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:59 am

new.new wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am
- some hostings can install phpbb directly from panel,
We do not support the host installs. You should be using the installer downloaded from here.

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm

new.new wrote:
some hostings can install phpbb directly from panel, without having to install it manually.
Do not use hosts "one click" installs. These types of installs use modified phpBB files and as such nobody here knows what has changed so if/when you have a problem providing support is difficult to impossible. Also some one click installs have some features removed.

In the long term you will be far better off using the files downloaded from here.
new.new wrote:
is there some "recommended" OS?
Anything that complies with the requirements for running phpBB
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

new.new

Post by new.new » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm

david63 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm
Anything that complies with the requirements for running phpBB
does ubuntu complies with them?

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm

new.new wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm
does ubuntu complies with them?
The operating system should not be a problem if you can install what you need to run a web server. That being said, unless you're using a VPS, the hosting provider usually does not allow you to choose a distro.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:07 pm

the operating system has nothing to do with it really.

you can install mysql and php etc. etc. on just about any operating system, even windows.

if you are goint to get hosting that you pay for, get a linux hosting package as opposed to windows hosting. whatever os package the server is running on it will support websites. that is the whole point of a hosting compay, to host websites. that means that it would supply a database and php at the minimum. that is all you need to run phpbb, wordpress, etc.

if you are still planning on running this from your personal computer and make it available to the world on the net, don't. it is terribly insecure and your ISP will probably close your account anyway.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

new.new

Post by new.new » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks for the answers.
I'm now doing some experiments.
Let's say my board address is http://mysite.com/phpbb/ , how can i automatically redirect form "mysite.com" to "http://mysite.com/phpbb/" ?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”