Some very noob questions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Some very noob questions

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

just install phpbb in the root of mysite.com and there is no redirect needed.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

new.new wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 pm Thanks for the answers.
I'm now doing some experiments.
Let's say my board address is http://mysite.com/phpbb/ , how can i automatically redirect form "mysite.com" to "http://mysite.com/phpbb/" ?
Assuming Apache server you would use a .htaccess redirect.

https://www.google.com/search?q=redirec ... +subfolder
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
new.new

Post by new.new »

It worked, thanks.

Now i have some doubts about groups. The admin account i created seems to be at the same time in "administrator", "global moderators" and "Registered users". If I remove myself from "global moderators" and "Registered users", do i lose some privileges?
Basically i'd like to organize the forum with these groups:
- "admins" --> administrators
- "Group A" --> registered users
- "Group B" --> registered users with more privileges (ex. accessing certain private sections etc.)
how do i assign new registered users automatically to group A? Maybe do i have to use the predefine group "Registered users"?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Everyone should be in the registered users group. This is the base set of permissions that let people see and do things like posting and sending PMs.

By default, the person who creates the board is also in the admin and global mods groups. You ought to stay in those.

Anyone else you want to make an admin or a global mod can simply be added to those groups.
The permissions stack up so you gain the permissions of the other groups you're added to over those of the reg user group. The general exception to this is if you add a NEVER permission for something which means you can't do it no matter which group you're in.

To allow access to certain users only to a private section it's better to make a new group and allow that access while setting a 'no access' group forum permission to the registered users. That stops everyone from accessing the new forum except people in the new group.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
new.new

Post by new.new »

Thanks, it's more clear now.
new.new

Post by new.new »

Another question, i noticed that if i click on a thread with unread posts, it redirects me to the first post of the thread.
It would be good if it redirects me to the last unread post of the thread. Is it possible to do so?
david63

Post by david63 »

new.new wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:21 pm It would be good if it redirects me to the last unread post of the thread. Is it possible to do so?
It does if you click on either of the icons on the left of the topic (phpBB does not have threads)
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I am going to move this to Support.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
new.new

Post by new.new »

I experimented the bug described here (some user resulted logged with other user's account):
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2395221
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2225146

So is it a problem of the hosting? I tried contacted them but they said " You need to be more specific on how the firewall causing this issue so we can further assist you.". What can I say them? Are there other ways to fix this problem?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You should really be starting a new topic for each question.

Yes it's caused by your hosts server caching the sessions so when the next person arrives, they get the same session as the person who just left meaning they can log in as that other person. Your hosts should be able to understand that.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
new.new

Post by new.new »

Sorry, i'll open a new thread if i'll have other questions.

So is there something more precise i can tell them? Ex. some setting they have to edit.
I'm using a shared hosting, can it be a problem?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If they're a decent hosting company they should know what to do. It's usually caused by either cloudflare or varnish. We're not a support site for either of those so we don't know the settings they have.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

KevC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 am If they're a decent hosting company they should know what to do. It's usually caused by either cloudflare or varnish. We're not a support site for either of those so we don't know the settings they have.
By default Cloudflare only caches static non HTML content; images, CSS, Javascript etc. They don't even cache image files served through download/file.php unless you set up special rule for it. If you are using cloudflare ou can check what is being cached by Cloudflare in the response header. cf-cache-status: HIT
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
new.new

Post by new.new »

thecoalman wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:10 pm
KevC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:23 am If they're a decent hosting company they should know what to do. It's usually caused by either cloudflare or varnish. We're not a support site for either of those so we don't know the settings they have.
By default Cloudflare only caches static non HTML content; images, CSS, Javascript etc. They don't even cache image files served through download/file.php unless you set up special rule for it. If you are using cloudflare ou can check what is being cached by Cloudflare in the response header. cf-cache-status: HIT
For what I know i don't use cloudfare, don't know if my hosting uses it, btw i never saw cloudfare pages when browsing my board.
Regarding this command cf-cache-status: HIT i don't know where search/type it, please explain me step by step, i'll provide all the logs you need.
Hosting support seems not understand the problem, if you can be more precise about what they can do, it'll be very useful.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Whatever the host has running that caches sessions needs to be turned off for you. Can't say it any plainer than that.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”