Help needed please

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
MUCKYMICK03

Help needed please

Post by MUCKYMICK03 »

Hi
I am desperately in need of some help with a forum that I have attached to my website .
Nscairsoft.co.uk
The Forum has not been used much and has not been updated for some time as I do not know how to or any thing about php updating .
current version is 3.1.9 .

I know nothing about website or php so i'm not sure I can update this myself so my question is ,is their any body/ company I could ask to do this ?

I have asked a few different website companies and they tell me to take website and forum down and start again which seems a costly thing to do .

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
I've Been Banned!

Re: Help needed please

Post by 2600 »

Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
The nature of my chosen username
:ugeek:
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and don't believe any of that nonsense about having to take down your website and start over.

upgrading your phpbb is very simple as long as you have a good ftp program and know how to use it to upload files to your website server.
you read and follow those instructions posted above . do them exactly and in order and you should be fine.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

And if you still can't figure it out I or someone else could do it. I could, but I can't fix broken extensions if they happen to not be compatible. I can tell you though that I have many 3.1.x extensions and they still work. Some of them did need to be updated though.

A lot of people like to use FileZilla, but I have found WinSCP to be pretty good. There is an issue using FileZilla, but I can't remember what that was. Something about ASCII or something. Someone may point what that is out. With WInSCP, that isn't a problem that I know of. Well, at least you don't have to configure anything like you do in Filezilla.

Before you upgrade make a backup like it says. Both the database and the FTP files. To backup the database login to your cPanel, go under phpmyadmin and there will be your database. You could in fact backup the database in phpBB's ACP, but I prefer phpmyadmin.
Morpheus: Unfortunately, no one can be told what The Matrix is. You'll have to see it for yourself.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the problem with filezilla is that it will transfer files with no extension in ascii. the attachments in the folder named "files" have no extension ( .jpg etc. ) therefore, if you leave the default settings about how to transfer files then all of those images will get corrupted when you ftp them back and forth.

go into the filezilla settings and choose binary for everything. that will solve the problem. do NOT leave it set to auto.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
I've Been Banned!

Post by 2600 »

Ah! That's what it was now.

That bit of Info. should be a sticky since I think at least 90% of everyone that uses phpBB probably uses Filezilla.
Hack me.
Consider a canary token.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

MUCKYMICK03 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 pmis their any body/ company I could ask to do this ?
It's not allowed to hire through this board. However, there are plenty of reputable people around here. We suggest you take a look at the signatures of prominent team or community members who offer their services and send these people a private message. Or we can help you in the support forums, for free!
John connor wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 amThat bit of Info. should be a sticky since I think at least 90% of everyone that uses phpBB probably uses Filezilla.
No need, it’s been in the KB since methuselah was a a boy Knowledge Base - Transferring attachment files with Filezilla, cerca trova.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”