Global moderator or Global moderators?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
jefmcg

Global moderator or Global moderators?

Post by jefmcg » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 pm

I'm just setting up a phpBB board. I started with SMF but didn't like it. I had a few posts already, and I didn't want to alienate my users so I migrated rather than starting from scratch. I was admin on the SMF site, and I had one other moderator. I installed phpBB 3.0.x, used a convert tool to bring across the SMF data, and then upgraded to 3.2.2. It worked brilliantly. But now I see I have two groups "global moderator" (which is just the person that I appointed as a moderator), and "global moderators" which is him and me, but I am the admin/founder not explicitly a moderator on either software.

I can't share the URL for now, as it's on a LAN, but can you help me? Should I delete one - or both? It's a new site, so I can be bold.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Global moderator or Global moderators?

Post by stevemaury » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:43 pm

"Global moderators" is the name of the phpBB pre-defined group. Is "Global moderator" listed as a Pre-defined group in the ACP?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:06 am

Go into the ACP >> Users and Groups tab >> Click Manage Groups on the left

On the top is "User defined Groups", there is likely a moderator group there that got converted to User defined Group. Delete it.

The predefined Groups on the bottom are created by phpBB and should include:

Code: Select all

Administrators 
Bots 
Global moderators
Guests
Newly registered users
Registered users
Registered COPPA
Add your moderator to the Global Moderator Group if they are not already added. While you are there you should make sure you are part of the administrators Group.

Next you should check permissions, ACP >> Permissions tab

Under the Global Permissions make sure they are set correctly, these are for basic permission outside of forums like can or cannot use PM's. Check them for Administrators, Global moderators and go through each group under Groups permissions.

Next check the Forum permissions, go to ACP >> Permissions tab >> forum permission. Where it says select a forum check the "all forums" box and hit submit. On the next page on the left hand side typically there should be no users listed. On the right side if you have any groups listed in the lower
"Add groups" that means that group has no assigned forums. Typically this not normal. If it is "user defined Group" you probably don't need it and can go back to the manage Groups tab and delete it. If it is phpBB created group leave it.

Above that under "Manage groups" highlight the first group, go the the last group listed and select it by hitting shift and then click. All groups in that pane should now be highlighted. Click edit permissions. On the following page it will list all forums and the permissions assigned to each group. Adjust as necessary.

jefmcg

Post by jefmcg » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks. That's great.

Lots of junk in the "user defined groups" Hero Member, Jr Member, Newbie etc. Cleaning them out now.

I'll spend some time reviewing the permissions as described in a day or two. I haven't quite got my head around the permissions model yet.

Edit: ah, that explains why it was showing "Global Moderator" as moderating every group. I thought it was strange, but evidence that I did not understand the phpBB way. It's gone now.
Attachments
Screenshot_20180816-112036.png

thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:15 am

jefmcg wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:11 am
I'll spend some time reviewing the permissions as described in a day or two. I haven't quite got my head around the permissions model yet.
Neither have I and I have been using it since 2007... I'm joking but it is a complex system and one of the complaints about phpBB. On the other hand if you understand it then it's not that difficult to use and is a very powerful system. You could for example have stealth moderator or admin. The best thing to do is use the "test permissions" link on someone's profile. Personally I prefer using test accounts instead.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”