Cache purge and hard refresh not working

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
z.ukosa

Cache purge and hard refresh not working

Post by z.ukosa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? http://localhost
Who do you host your board with? localhost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver_SE
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? installing a style
Please describe your problem. Hi All! First of all, congrats on the great software! I've just installed latest release of phpBB 3.2.2 and wanted to switch to prosilver_SE theme. I installed it and activated. When I click "preview" I can see it looks OK, but when I close the ACP the default theme is still active. What I did to overcome this:
1/ Purged the cache in ACP
2/ Enabled Recompile stale style components in ACP
3/ Made hard refresh in my browser (and run it in incognito mode)
4/ Deleted all files in the cache folder

I tried to do this in different order. And still nothing - the new style does not show itself. I am now working on local host, but I had the same problems on a live trial account in SiteGround hosting. For example, I made simple changes to colours.css file and had the same problems. What is interesting, these changes became effective after some time, e.g. I did the changes in the evening but they became effective in the morning.

Any ideas what can I do besides those 4 steps that I described above to see my changes becoming effective immediately?

thank you
Marek
Generated by SRT Generator

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Cache purge and hard refresh not working

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:37 pm

two different things here.

installing a new style: you have to then decide to use it. you can either check yes for the override user section in the admin panel/board settings
or, if you want everyone to be able to choose their own style, set your style in your user control panel.

editing a style not showing up:
if you have done all of the refreshing you mentioned then it is possible that you have something like cloudfare turned on in your hosting control panel.

among other problems with cloudfare, it has its own cache that sometimes takes forever to clear. you can go to your hosting control panel /cloudfare section and clear the cache there to see if that helps.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

z.ukosa

Post by z.ukosa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Thank you Robert! I missed the final step! I thought that activating the theme is enough. For other novice users that will come here via google: when you activate the theme, you need to go to general/board settings in ACP and check appropriate boxes in the "Board style" section.

thanks again
Marek

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:01 pm

For further reference, there are also some useful links just below the header of this board in the Support section, one called "Documentation" leading you to the administration guide: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... se_styles/
A second one called "Knowledge Base" which holds this article: Knowledge Base - How to install a new style (and set it as your default)
There are a lot of useful informations not only for novice, but also for experienced users in the documentation.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

z.ukosa

Post by z.ukosa » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks! I have read the user guide before (downloaded as a pdf file) and in my opinion there is nothing about the need for setting the new style as default in the section that covers customisation (no.8), would you agree? It is true that the article in the knowledge base is clearer in that respect, but I did not come across it. Too quickly I jumped to the conclusion that it is a caching issue. Thanks again for your quick support!
PS. I think I will be helpful to other users if the user manual (point 8.1. Styles) would cover this part (i.e. setting the style as default). It is not obvious that activating a style is not enough to get it working.

All the best to the phpBB team.

Marek

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:49 pm

You only need to set a style as default when you want to force your (new) user to use that specific style. Every user has the choice to use from all active styles. He can do it in his user control panel (UCP).
If you want all your users to use only one style, just set that one as default and deactivate all other in acp (no need to delete, esp. not for prosilver as the base style for most others)
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:06 pm

or, you can simply select yes for override user and then all users will be forced to use the default no matter how many styles you have installed.

lots of choices. that is one of the good things about phpbb, lots of choices on how you want to set it up and use it etc.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”