The requested topic does not exist after deletion of spam users

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
seppo

The requested topic does not exist after deletion of spam users

Post by seppo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:12 pm

After deleting lot of spam users and their posts (from "administer user" and there delete user with delete posts), I get
The requested topic does not exist
when trying to access a thread. Those threads are from normal users, but may have contained posts from spammers too (?). I see from numbers there should be many posts still. How do I get them back? Is this happening since some spam posts were deleted?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: The requested topic does not exist after deletion of spam users

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:08 pm

if you truly deleted those posts then the only way to get them back would be to restore a backup made from before you deleted them.

it sounds like you made some sort of mistake when deleting.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

seppo

Post by seppo » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:34 pm

I do not need the spam posts back, but the problem is that I cannot access a thread where some of those spam posts were at.
This is the process I did, should it be done differently?

There is a spammer, some threads of his own, some that he has replied to normal users thread. To delete the spam user and his posts, I do the following:
1. Click his username at the forum somewhere he has posted.
2. Click "Administer user"
3. From "Delete user" section, I select "Delete posts" from the dropdown, and then Send-button
4 I click Yes for the confirmation of the deletion.

All succesful, I get information user deleted.

Now, if I go back to forum to some thread started by normal user, but where was some posts by this deleted spammer, I cannot access that thread anymore and get "The requested topic does not exist" message instead.

What I am doing wrong there, or is this a bug, or am I missing some cleanup-routine? If deleting spammer's posts, it shouldn't delete the whole thread as there is normal posts too..

John connor

Post by John connor » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:54 pm

I don't know why that would happen. If the spammer didn't start the topic and some of his post's were in that topic, then only his post's should have been deleted. The topic its self should never have been touched as far as I know.

Perhaps this is a bug. Was there another option on how to delete the post's? Like posts and/or topics as well, or just posts?

To help combat spam, I have in my signature below a couple of extensions that you can use from this site. Or a good quality question captcha can be used, but it has to be a question that can't be easily Googled. Perhaps like: "What is the third letter in this site's name?"

seppo

Post by seppo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks John for the links, I will check those extensions. I have there now a question-based protection (recatpcha did not work as expected), and I also updated the questions, so I believe now there will be less spammers.

However the current problem is that people cannot access some threads after spam in them has been cleared. The numbers next to thread claim it still has posts in it. Has anyone else faced similar problem? Of any clue on how to re-enable access to those threads?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 pm

There are no threads in phpBB they're topics.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Did you try to synchronize the topics from the acp? On the main page in acp, you'll find those buttons:
Screenshot_20180911_184843.png
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB

seppo

Post by seppo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for the tip canonknipser, I tried that but that didn't help. At the forum, at topics list it still shows they contain posts, but when accessing the topic, I still get the "The requested topic does not exist" message.

Sorry mick, my bad. For me they mean the same. Probably comes from experiences with other forums. Topics it is then in here from now on.

If it is a bug, any phpbb coder wants to take a look at it?
Shortly the problem again for such coder: Topic shows at list that there are messages, but when trying to access the topic, I get message stating the topic does not exist. Seems to have come an issue after I deleted bunch of spam users along with their messages. I have noticed from this forum that some users had a bit similar problem after upgrading their forum. I did the same already some time ago, but don't recall seeing this behaviour then (might have been partly though as I did not try to access those topics then). Sometimes, when trying to delete user with thousands of spam messages, the process stops with blank page (even after I have increased the process time). After that I have manually deleted the remaining topics (by manually selecting the select box and then delete posts from dropdown). I do not know if this has affected the problem, but I think not. I realized the problem when doing the deletion process normally, with successful deletion without any errors.
Anyway, the problem persists, users cannot access some of the topics they've been following to. The synchronize buttons canonknipser pointed out did not help to solve issue, so it likely would need some other sync or such for database?

Thanks for any help in beforehand!

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Do you see some question marks in that topics or some unapproved posts?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 pm

if the user you deleted was the one who started the topic ( original post ) then when you delete him and all his posts wouldn't that delete the whole topic?

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

John connor

Post by John connor » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:45 pm

I think he stated that he deleted a spammer's post/s and it also deleted the topic.

seppo

Post by seppo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 pm

janus_zonstraal, no I do not see question marks there, nor unapproved posts.
I see the topic as normal in the list, started by normal user. But when trying to access that topic, I get that error stating topic wouldn't exist (even though it was just seen at the list of topics, with the details of how many posts etc along it).

Lumby Burgesrtushie, no, that wasn't the case: Like John connor (great movie by the way :) ) pointed out, the topic was started by normal user before the spammers got to forum. Then, spammers had posted a reply to that topic at some point, but the original topic was not started by those spammers (there were those too, but they were deleted as expected).

So it seems odd. From the list it seems all is OK and topics are still there. But when clicking their name, there is that error as if the topic wasn't there.

John connor

Post by John connor » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:41 pm

I have no bloody idea what's going on. Something seems up with the database. I have no idea. Wish I could help. What I'll do is perform a test and see what happens. I'm using the latest version of the newly released phpBB though, so the variable may not be there.

seppo wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 pm
Like John connor (great movie by the way :)
https://cyberpcforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1530#p1530

:mrgreen:

John connor

Post by John connor » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:12 pm

So I tested this out.

I created a topic with a test user, then I had three test users post to it. I went to the ACP and deleted test user number 3's posts and the topic remained.

So no issue here.

Try this once. Go to your FTP and do a FTP wide search with the search feature in your FTP software for error_log. I do this every now and then to make sure none exist.

Also fill this out: https://www.phpbb.com/support/srt/

seppo

Post by seppo » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks John for the tips and test. I will check the error_log and also try if the most recent update (3.2.2->3.2.3) would do the trick.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”