allow_url_fopen

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
durangod

allow_url_fopen

Post by durangod » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

Hi, does phpBB require allow_url_fopen to be enabled for the forum and SMTP.. I am asking because i am running a server with CGI/FastCGI and i dont want to enable allow_url_fopen server wide. But it has to be changed in the main php ini file.

So does phpBB require it to be enabled at all?

3Di
Name: Marco

Re: allow_url_fopen

Post by 3Di » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 am

durangod wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am
So does phpBB require it to be enabled at all?
Not at all.

phpBB 3.2.x has a few requirements which must be met before you are able to install and use it.

Code: Select all

A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System with support for PHP
    A SQL database system, one of:
        MySQL 3.23 or above (MySQLi supported)
        MariaDB 5.1 or above
        PostgreSQL 8.3+
        SQLite 3.6.15+
        MS SQL Server 2000 or above (via ODBC or the native adapter)
        Oracle
    PHP 5.4.7+ with support for the database you intend to use.
    The following PHP modules are required:
        json
    getimagesize() function must be enabled.
    Presence of the following modules within PHP will provide access to additional features, but they are not required:
        zlib Compression support
        Remote FTP support
        XML support
        ImageMagick support
        GD Support
Some extensions or some parts of the code could require it, in case of issues... ask.
Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx.
Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user

durangod

Re: allow_url_fopen

Post by durangod » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:14 am

Thank you very much for the reply. I have a confession to make, i was coaxed by a friend to try SMF. I have installed and used phpBB in over 50 installs over the last 15+ years and have always been happy with it. But my friend said i should really try SMF...

Well, i am back with phpBB and SMF was not for me... First they require allow_url_fopen to do SMTP and when i asked about it and told them i was using CGI/FastCGI as my api, they insinuated that i should just enable allow_url_fopen server wide... im like i dont think so... i know better...

SMF menus seem old and out of date, their themes and mods are very few and far between to find one that is up to current version.. And the worst part of the whole experience omg this is what broke the camels back for me.... u ready !!!

They still use php end tags ?> LMAO hee hee

On pages with all php, i could not believe it lol...

when i asked they said that they could remove them but then all their plugins would break, and im thinking not a good design..

So im back, i missed you all :) i actually have not had a forum since i retired last year but we have a new project with some friends so we needed a forum..

I am glad to be back!!! phpBB is awesome....

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”