All users have the same IP range.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
insus100

All users have the same IP range.

Post by insus100 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.3
What is your board's URL? https://forum.sa-pp.com
Who do you host your board with? OVH
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.2
What styles do you currently have installed? Quarto Asphalt
What language(s) is your board currently using? English, Portuguese Brazilian
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? Any account
What password can be used to view this issue? Any account
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I updated my board from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3 but the problem has existed since I first installed my board (domain in same host, but the server was changed, the problem persisted anyways, so it's some domain related issue).
Please describe your problem. All users registered to my board have the sme ip range starting at: 213.32.4.*, which is some OVH ip.
When I rented the domain, I bought "DNS Anycast" which speeds up the loading time in high ping zones, and I think that's the issue, but I can't deactivate it, as I paid for it.
You can check this page:
https://forum.sa-pp.com/ip_checkv1.php
And reload the page, you see "Your IP" varies it's range each time you reload.
I tried this:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2133487
Noxwizard fix, modifying a bit as my SERVER_ADDR and REMOTE_ADDR shown aren't the same.
I'm lost here, and it's a big problem as we can't IP ban.
Thanks for your help.
Generated by SRT Generator

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: All users have the same IP range.

Post by stevemaury » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm

IP banning is ineffective and a waste of time and resources. If you have spam issues, post back and we can help you.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:45 pm

It sounds like you're behind some kind of proxy or load balancer that OVH provides. Your host should provide some way for you to get the correct IP address set without having to update all of your applications.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.

insus100

Post by insus100 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 am

stevemaury wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:13 pm
IP banning is ineffective and a waste of time and resources. If you have spam issues, post back and we can help you.
I know it is, but when the system bans a spammer, almost everyone gets banned, and that happens quite frequently and it's annoying. I'm not trying to fix spam banning ip's.
Noxwizard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:45 pm
It sounds like you're behind some kind of proxy or load balancer that OVH provides. Your host should provide some way for you to get the correct IP address set without having to update all of your applications.
I asked them, they replied me that I could rent more ips but I don't think they understood me.

maxwellqc13
Name: Max

Post by maxwellqc13 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am

We get large attacks a couple times per week with 5-20k from one IP. I just block them at the server. I could be misunderstanding you but this will stop individual IP's just can't do blocks of them

iptables -I INPUT -s 123.45.67.890 -j DROP

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am

insus100 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 am
I'm not trying to fix spam banning ip's.
Are you certain, if not what are you trying to do?

The captcha you're using is ineffective, the sqiggley line captchas were broken years ago that's why you're getting all those spammers. I suggest you start using the built in Q&A with a non-Googleable Q&A and setting the newly registered user group post limit to one. All first posts posts will then be on moderation queue and you can vet them before allowing them to post.

How to configure Q&A
  1. Administration Control Panel (ACP) > Spambot countermeasures> Installed plugins > click the dropdown box and select Q&A (it will be greyed out)
  2. Click the configure button then click add
  3. Add your question and answer (you need a Q&A for each language you have installed) click submit
  4. Click "back to previous page" then click "back"
  5. Select Q&A from the dropdown box (again)
  6. Click submit at the bottom of the page.
  7. Done.
Also, you're Cookie domain shows sa-pp.com and it should be forum.sa-pp.com see: Fixing incorrect cookie settings
insus100 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 am
I asked them, they replied me that I could rent more ips but I don't think they understood me
Tell you're host exactly this, if they can't help you ask for level two support.
Noxwizard wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:45 pm
If they can't, won't or don't know how to do it I'd be inclined to look for another host.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

insus100

Post by insus100 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Mick wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am
The captcha you're using is ineffective, the sqiggley line captchas were broken years ago that's why you're getting all those spammers. I suggest you start using the built in Q&A with a non-Googleable Q&A and setting the newly registered user group post limit to one. All first posts posts will then be on moderation queue and you can vet them before allowing them to post.
Thanks for your help, I changed the captcha to the Q&As seems very effective, and I fixed the cookie settings you told me too, I appreciate your help.
I'll keep asking OVH and see what they say.

Also, the forums have a logo in the top, but it's only visible while using Microsoft Edge, not visible in google chrome, I uploaded the image in .svg format, it's a strange problem, any ideas?
Thank you.
maxwellqc13 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:47 am
We get large attacks a couple times per week with 5-20k from one IP. I just block them at the server. I could be misunderstanding you but this will stop individual IP's just can't do blocks of them

iptables -I INPUT -s 123.45.67.890 -j DROP
Thanks I'll make sure to do that once I find out the spammers IP.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”