contact page suddenly stopped working for guests, only works for superadmin

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
gscottmalibu

contact page suddenly stopped working for guests, only works for superadmin

Post by gscottmalibu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:19 am

I tested the mailserver with mass email and it worked perfectly, quickly too. Weird thing is that the contact page worked perfectly before. I checked hard drive space on the server and that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Only the superadmin can actually post and submit the contact us page, all other users get the message: "You cannot send another email at this time. Please try again later."

I have spent a couple hours trying to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am also afraid to upgrade my phpbb3 installation to a newer version (I am 2 behind) because I do not know if it will cause template issues, also I have modified one of the core files to accept a navbar that flows at the top of the forums, consistent with my website.

I don't know if upgrading will fix my issue, if there is a limit somewhere, or some log that is too big that needs to be deleted.

Current version: 3.1.10
Board Link: http://techmaster.mooo.com/voxelarmy/forum/
Contact Page: http://techmaster.mooo.com/voxelarmy/contact.html

EA117

Re: contact page suddenly stopped working for guests, only works for superadmin

Post by EA117 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:41 am

The message you describe is the FLOOD_EMAIL_LIMIT message. That message is shown from the contact form if the current user is trying to send a message, and it's been less than the "Flood interval" number of seconds since they last sent an email message.

So in the ACP, Posting tab, Post settings, see if maybe the "Flood interval" is set to some unusual or higher than expected value that would explain why sending wasn't allowed within the interval you were attempting.

The founder account is probably just bypassing limits / is allowed to bypass the flood interval.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 am

I am afraid support for 3.1.x ended some time ago, but we can help you upgrade to 3.2.x. Read the following carefully and post back if you have any questions.

Also you might find my Sticky Bar extension helpful.

Notes:
  • Your server must be running at least PHP 5.4.7 or higher.
  • phpBB 3.2 is not completely backwards compatible with 3.1 and custom edits may no longer work. The easiest upgrade method is to remove all existing files prior to upgrading and re-applying custom changes after verifying their correctness.

To upgrade, perform the following steps:
  1. Make a back-up of the original files and database
  2. Deactivate all styles except for prosilver
  3. Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.2. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.
  4. Ensure that the activated spambot countermeasure is one of the standard phpBB plugins (Simple image, GD image, GD 3D image, Q&A, reCaptacha).
  5. Set British English as the only language pack and delete all other language pack directories from your server
  6. Delete all of your phpBB 3.1.x files EXCEPT for the following:
    • The config.php file
    • The /ext/ directory
    • The /images/ directory
    • The /files/ directory
    • The /store/ directory
  7. Upload the contents of the phpBB3 directory from the uncompressed 3.2.x Full Package (EXCEPT for config.php) into your forum's directory (Note: you don't want to overwrite your original config.php file)
  8. Browse to www.example.com/install/
  9. Click the Update tab
  10. Click the Update button
  11. Select "Update database only" and click Submit
  12. Wait for the progress bar to reach 100% and for a message indicating that the update has completed
  13. Delete or rename the /install/ directory

gscottmalibu

Post by gscottmalibu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:08 am

Thank you both for your help. The flood interval was set to 15 seconds and changing it to 10 didn't seem to do much.

I think possibly this is a bug? Or there is still a limit somewhere.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:34 am

If it was a bug it would be happening to everyone.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 am

I believe 15 seconds is the default flood interval, and is an appropriate value. Was hoping you would find someone had entered an unnaturally long value in there, which would explain the symptom.

On your main board index, check the "It is currently Mon Oct 08, 2018 xx:xx..." display near the top of the page to make sure the date isn't in the past, which should be enough of an indication of whether the hosting server's time is correct. That display is based on the server's UTC time, adjusted according to the time zone set in your user control panel profile.

The test used on the contact form is essentially just "if CURRENT_TIME minus LAST_USER_EMAIL_TIME is smaller than the FLOOD_INTERVAL, then report the FLOOD_EMAIL_LIMIT error". Which suggests either there is a recent "last email time", or the math must be wrapping to negative values because the current time pre-dates the last email time.

So the system time on the server could be wrong now, which makes the legitimate "last email" times all appear to be in the future. Or maybe the server was running with a wrong system time previously; and even though the server time is correct now, the recorded "last email" times are in the future from when the server time was wrong.

If you're not aware of the hosting server's time having been wrong recently (or now), that seems to leave only the even less likely possibility that something is "constantly sending mail as these users" now, such that there is always a "recent email" within the flood interval when you attempt to test with the contact form.

Beyond that, I'm out of ideas, and updating to a current 3.2.x version and confirming that the issue remains is probably the next step.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:52 pm

I have no desire to lock this topic but please remember that 3.1.x support has ended a long time ago (as I had previously stated above) We can help you move to 3.2.3 which will hopefully solve your problem, or allow us to have you solve it.

Thank you

gscottmalibu

Post by gscottmalibu » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 am

You are spot on with your diagnosis. The time is off on my server which resulted in phpBB fetching fetching the wrong systime.

I write c++ for a living but I forgot to think about a simple conditional if statement that protects against flooding. This makes perfect sense that if the time is off the equation will subtract less time and result in a false positive of "flooded."

Thank you both for your help, I fixed the system time which turned off "network time" fetch after a power outage.

I think I will attempt to upgrade in the future. Possibly with another test mysql db to make sure the old template will not have any php incompatibility with 2 new versions of the forum software. I'd much rather be safe than sorry lol.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:51 am

gscottmalibu wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:14 am
<snip>
I think I will attempt to upgrade in the future. Possibly with another test mysql db to make sure the old template will not have any php incompatibility with 2 new versions of the forum software. I'd much rather be safe than sorry lol.
Only styles written for 3.2.x will work with 3.2.x. Styles from earlier versions will not work (or even activate)

gscottmalibu

Post by gscottmalibu » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 am

Looks like the developer of my style has not updated PBTech in 2 years.

I think it's safer and a lot less work and less risk of compatability issues if I keep my older phpbb version even though not preferable.

I have also customized my phpbb installation heavily:
- custom game stats embedded on profile popups custom to usernames
- custom HTML navbar
- and much more

Thank you for your information about style incompatibility and thank you for helping me figure out that my system time was off, not allowing my contact page to be used by new clients.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”