image load timeouts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
shortmort37

image load timeouts

Post by shortmort37 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:38 pm

I run a board that's particularly weighted towards images. For those pages that have multiple posts, and an extensive number of images per post - phpBB will frequently render with broken image links, like so:

image-timeouts.JPG

Of course, if I refresh the page, the cached images will load immediately, and the browser will go on to retrieve additional images that timed out on the first paint of the page.

But, apart from forcing the user to refresh - is there a way to direct the browser behavior from the server, i.e., to wait longer before timing out? (And yes, I'm considering hosting my own server.)

Dan

janus_zonstraal

Re: image load timeouts

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:22 am

Can you give a link to a post with much images?
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 am

Is this happening to everyone or just you?

If this is happening to all users then, in all probability, it is a server resource issue. If it is just you then it is a local PC and/or browser issue. Try using another browser.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:52 am

janus_zonstraal wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:22 am
Can you give a link to a post with much images?
Sure - here is an example.
david63 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 am
Is this happening to everyone or just you?

If this is happening to all users then, in all probability, it is a server resource issue. If it is just you then it is a local PC and/or browser issue. Try using another browser.
Yes - it happens to everyone, and it seems to be independent of browser. And I agree that it is likely a server resource issue, which is why I noted that I plan to host myself. But, hosting myself will take some time and involve some pain, so I'm looking for ways to ameliorate the problem until I do.

Are there ways to change to browser behavior, with instructions from the server? i.e., can I extend the timeout in the browser, before it declares an image link to be broken?

Dan

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:16 am

I'm fairly sure it's a resource problem. The topic you linked to has probably 100 or more jpg's of around 3MB loading in thumbnail mode.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:29 am

Yeah, you’re agreeing with me and David. (Although, phpBB pre-generates the thumbs, and it’s not until you select an image that the browser discovers it’s 3MB).

So again: Until I rehost, is there a way to ameliorate?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:38 am

I'm not sure but I have a recollection that there was an extension in development (may have been abandoned) that pre-loaded images, or maybe there was a workaround for it - but it was some time ago. Try searching this board.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

EA117

Post by EA117 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Since there are a couple different technical conditions that could lead to "unable to retrieve this image", I wanted to LAN trace what was happening on the wire in an instance where one or more images failed to load. Thankfully the board isn't currently set to force HTTPS usage, since although the encrypted traffic can still be captured, you don't get to diagnose more than just basic TCP connection issues unless you're in possession of the private key for the certificate being used for TLS/SSL.

What I saw in my tests is that the issue doesn't occur unless HTTPS was used to retrieve the images, and that during those failures Chrome reports that the web server is returning HTTP 503 Service Unavailable for the images that failed to download.

Which does at least answer one question the LAN trace was hoping to confirm: "Wait longer" is not going to help. The server already decided he couldn't answer / wasn't going to answer. "More time" is not a factor.

Using HTTP (non-encrypted) to view the same page, I could not duplicate this issue. Meaning if I use the link provided, one or more images would fail to load:

https://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/view ... =34&t=2968

But if I use the non-encrypted link to view the same page, I could never duplicate the problem in the time I spent:

http://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/viewt ... =34&t=2968

If that holds true for you too, maybe that's at least a workaround until the problem can be resolved? But otherwise, it looks like everyone is correct that is a server capability/resource issue, in some way specific to trying to serve the images up over the established TLS/SSL connection. i.e. Some limitation that is only coming into play when the web server is being asked to encrypt the data.

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Wow!! This is an awesome reply. Thanks so much for the effort! I’ll study this and take up with my ISP. I may come back with some questions.

Again, many thanks!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:03 pm

EA117 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:40 pm
Using HTTP (non-encrypted) to view the same page, I could not duplicate this issue. Meaning if I use the link provided, one or more images would fail to load:

https://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/view ... =34&t=2968

But if I use the non-encrypted link to view the same page, I could never duplicate the problem in the time I spent:

http://www.59plymouth.net/59forum/viewt ... =34&t=2968

If that holds true for you too, maybe that's at least a workaround until the problem can be resolved? But otherwise, it looks like everyone is correct that is a server capability/resource issue, in some way specific to trying to serve the images up over the established TLS/SSL connection. i.e. Some limitation that is only coming into play when the web server is being asked to encrypt the data.
Good thinking!
Tried this on other pages and http loads the images one at a time (quite fast actually) whereas https skips slow loading images.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

sakm
Name: Stu

Post by sakm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm

what's your settings for image uploads?

AbaddonOrmuz
Name: Alfredo Ramos

Post by AbaddonOrmuz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm

You might want to use a lazy loading script, which should help by loading on image at a time and only when you need it. I made an extension for my forums precisely for this, and also helps to people with low speed internet.
A proudly user of Arch Linux :: /r/sddm_themes

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 pm

EA117, I corroborate your findings. SSL seemed like a good idea at the time, when I wanted to permit Facebook users to use their account to login (still having to register, though). I was interested in broadening membership - but, at the price of compromising the quality of the site! I used the OneAll Social extension, but Facebook requires https, so I implemented it - failing to take into account the cost of encryption.

So, I'm going to back it out. Many thanks for pointing out the obvious to me!

Dan

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:01 pm

sakm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:16 pm
what's your settings for image uploads?
They are pretty liberal! Up to 100 per post (I permit image, pdf, mp4 and mp3), and with dimensions up to 4K.

shortmort37

Post by shortmort37 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm

AbaddonOrmuz wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:40 pm
You might want to use a lazy loading script, which should help by loading on image at a time and only when you need it. I made an extension for my forums precisely for this, and also helps to people with low speed internet.
Ooh! I'm likin' this idea. Do you have a link to your extension?

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”