Strategy for upgrading to latest 3.2 from a broken 3.1 build?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Roots

Strategy for upgrading to latest 3.2 from a broken 3.1 build?

Post by Roots » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 am

Short explanation: i have a recently broken 3.1.9 install from a bad upgrade. My DB reports version 3.1.9 and is hopefully okay, but I don't know how to verify this.
Long explanation: See below the line.

I need to figure out how to get from my current broken 3.1.9 state to the latest 3.2 version. Which option should I take?

Option #1: Do a fresh 3.1.9 install. After the install finishes, verify that the DB data is fine. Then follow the standard upgrade procedures.

Option #2: Do a fresh 3.2.x install. After the install finishes, use an upgrade tool (if it exists?) to transition the DB to the latest 3.2.x version.

Option #3: Is there another option I'm not aware of that I should take?

Finally, is there a tool that I can use to verify the contents of my database are correct and uncorrupted? It would be preferable if I could do this verification on my local machine as opposed to needing a working phpBB on my site to perform the verification. Also I would need to verify the DB for a 3.1.9 install, so if a verifier only works for other versions then that wouldn't work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, I screwed up during an update to my board. My board was running a 3.1.9 install, and I thought I was doing an upgrade to the latest 3.1 version. Instead, I accidentally grabbed the latest 3.2 package and didn't realize this until after my board was broken. Initially the update seemed to be going okay, but it was taking a long time on the update files section (said it was at 100%, but the page was unresponsive and showed no sign of activity after several minutes). I killed the session, and now I think my phpbb files are all messed up. This is what my forum reports when I try to access it.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/class_loader.php on line 160: require(./phpbb/event/kernel_request_subscriber.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/class_loader.php on line 160: require(./phpbb/event/kernel_request_subscriber.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
I also screwed up bad because I didn't back up anything before I did this update, thinking it was a minor version upgrade (totally my fault). I made a backup of my DB as soon as I realized something was wrong, and a backup of all my files post-crash as well. I queried the DB and verified that the version info still reports the DB at 3.1.9, so I think/hope nothing in the DB was messed up.

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Re: Strategy for upgrading to latest 3.2 from a broken 3.1 build?

Post by Scanialady » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:44 am

backup all your files and your database (to PC)

download the newest full phpBB package
download and upload new versions of your used extensions and styles

follow update instructions from here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

or here, if you are on 3.2 https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/
Webseite, Blog, Wiki
JV-Arcade / phpBB-Arcade / dmzx-Extensions Übersetzungsteam, andere deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files

Roots

Post by Roots » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm

I contacted my service provider last night and they had a recent backup that they applied to get my forums back to their unbroken 3.1.9 state. So now I can upgrade the normal way...just more carefully this time. :P

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:47 pm

Roots wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:31 pm
I contacted my service provider last night and they had a recent backup that they applied to get my forums back to their unbroken 3.1.9 state. So now I can upgrade the normal way...just more carefully this time. :P
Make a backup for yourself so that you're not dependent on your host anymore. (this means a 3.1.9 backup and once you've upgraded a 3.2.3 backup.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Roots

Post by Roots » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:20 pm

Yup, I will definitely do so. I almost always do, just got careless and lazy this last time. Thanks also for that link to the 3.1->3.2 update recommendations. That will help me a lot.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”