No emails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Brian Lambert

No emails

Post by Brian Lambert » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi all,

Sorry about this I'm a total newbie to BB3 and need some help please. I'm using 3.2.3
I've struggled for days trying to set up emails both via the Contact Us and where required to new post notifications in a topic (when the user selects this option).

Below is the email set up page and below that the error messages when I try sending emails.

So what is wrong and what is needed? I believe my email account I've set up to receive Contact Us messages uses imap?
Error log.jpg
email set up.jpg
Thank for you anticipated help. Remember I'm a knob at all this, so keep it simple please!! ;)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: No emails

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:58 pm

make sure you are checking the email address that you have in your user control panel settings. that is where you will get all emails from the board.

also, that email address should be one you create at your hosting control panel email section. something like you@yourdomain.com

quite often using any email address other than one that is hosted on your hosting account will error out because your host does not allow relaying of email through their servers from other domains.

and, make sure that you have your notification settings set so that you will get a email notification for whatever you want.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm

You're using sendmail so there's no information on whether your SMTP settings are correct.
Are you sure sendmail is enabled?
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm

if smtp is set to no, then it doesn't matter what the settings for smtp are as they have no effect.

roberrt
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:28 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:18 pm
if smtp is set to no, then it doesn't matter what the settings for smtp are as they have no effect.

roberrt
True but it also implies that sendmail is being used and since there's an error, that error relates to sendmail in one way or another.
If the TS wants to test his SMTP settings, then SMTP has to be enabled in the configuration page.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm

warmweer wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:05 pm
You're using sendmail so there's no information on whether your SMTP settings are correct.
Are you sure sendmail is enabled?
Am I? Where is Send Mail??? Told you I'm a newbie knob!
Lets use the KISS approach please.
Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:58 pm
make sure you are checking the email address that you have in your user control panel settings. that is where you will get all emails from the board.
also, that email address should be one you create at your hosting control panel email section. something like you@yourdomain.com
quite often using any email address other than one that is hosted on your hosting account will error out because your host does not allow relaying of email through their servers from other domains.
and, make sure that you have your notification settings set so that you will get a email notification for whatever you want.
robert
email i created at my hosting control panel?? I haven't done this AFAIK? My hosting Co. emails to me on my main email address that's used by them to contact me, but I don't want forum emails arriving there. Hence I've set up a dedicated email account for the forum emails. Or am I missing something?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 am

Before heading off into creating a new and different email account, we should probably know whether the SMTP settings for you current email account (which is presumably your desired email) would already work.

You "should" be able to send mail from phpBB using the existing modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com account, same as you can send from Microsoft Outlook or any other SMTP email client. Indeed, it doesn't "always" work -- your hosting service (One.com) can be doing things that will block this -- but it's still the first thing to try since you're already 80% of the way there.

Change the "SMTP Settings" page to the following:

Use SMTP server for email: Yes (this is different than what the screen shot showed)
SMTP server address and protocol: ssl://smtp.virginmedia.com
SMTP server port: 465
Authentication method for SMTP: PLAIN
SMTP username: modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com (this is different than what the screen shot showed)
SMTP password: (the same password you use from Microsoft Outlook or web mail for this email address)
Verify SSL certificate: (leave off for now for maximum compatibility)
Verify SMTP peer name: (leave off for now for maximum compatibility)
Allow self-signed SSL certificates: Off

Use the "Submit" to save the changes, and then testing with the "Send a test email button" and/or using the Contact page to see whether the email sending works.

If sending email from phpBB still doesn't work, show what the "Error" log contents look like now. Since if SMTP sending failed, there should be a new and different error message in there which may have more clues.

If you feel like reading, or are wondering the reasons behind all the suggestions you're getting:

With "Use SMTP server for email" set to "No" in the configuration page you showed, none of the other settings in that "SMTP Settings" group are being used. When "No" is selected, phpBB is simply invoking the PHP mail() function provided by the server that phpBB is installed on, and it's up to that PHP mail() function and the STMP parameters defined by your host (One.com) to determine how to actually send the mail.

Although using the PHP mail() function is "easy" and doesn't require filling out all those SMTP Settings fields, the suggestions of "create an account" are being raised because your host's (One.com) SMTP rules might not allow sending email with an "unknown domain" like "@virginmedia.com" through their mail servers. That kind of arrangement can be considered "spam". It's "an unknown domain" only in the sense that the email domain is not the domain name being used by your phpBB site (modelrailwayforum.co.uk).

The "create an new email account" suggestions are saying you could avoid such a limitation if you used your One.com hosting account to create an email such as "info@modelrailwayforum.co.uk", and therefore be using an "@modelrailwayforum.co.uk" domain when sending email instead of "@virginmedia.com". But it will be "an additional email account", which you then either have to login and monitor, or configure to forward to one of your existing email accounts.

But the first thing to try, if the existing modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com email address is the best and desired email for this board to use, is to set "Use SMTP server for email" to "Yes" instead of "No". And then fill out the rest of the fields in the "SMTP Settings" page with the correct information needed to send SMTP email using modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com; same as you would have to configure in Microsoft Outlook or any other email client you wanted to be able to send email from.

That eliminates the question of "does PHP mail() think it's okay to send with @virginmedia.com?", because with "Use SMTP server for email" set to "Yes" you're now sending the mail through VirginMedia's own server (smtp.virginmedia.com) instead of your host's (One.com) servers.

VirginMedia says that smtp.virginmedia.com is the correct SMTP server for you to use, but says that "modelrailwayforum_co_uk" is not the correct username. The username should be set to your full email address, "modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com". The password is the same password you use from Microsoft Outlook or the web mail to access the email for modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com.

So making those changes -- set "Use SMTP server for email" to "Yes" and change the "SMTP username" to "modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com" -- are probably the first thing to test, before the most adventurous project of creating a different email account.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am

as part of your hosting account you can create as many email accounts as you wish.

in your case you can create an email like admin@modernrailwayforum.co.uk
or forum@modernrailwayforum.co.uk

etc. etc.

create one and use it for all emails relating to your board.

setup your email client on your computer to check email at that email address as well as your main email address.

robert

the problem with doint what is said above is you will still be trying to relay email addressed to the virginmedia server ( which I assume is your ISP ) to your hosting company servers which is what they do not like.

robert

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 am

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:51 am
the problem with doint what is said above is you will still be trying to relay email addressed to the virginmedia server ( which I assume is your ISP ) to your hosting company servers which is what they do not like.
This would indeed be a concern if he was pointing to one of One.com's SMTP servers, e.g. using SMTP on localhost, or smtp.one.com, etc. And is ostensibly the potential current issue when invoking PHP mail(), since that would be using One.com's SMTP settings.

The configuration described is using VirginMedia's SMTP server. They are happy to handle @virginmedia.com mail.

Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am

#EA117.. Many thanks for your detailed and simple to follow SMTP setting instructions. Just what I require to follow! :oops:
Unfortunately following your steps the email still doesn't work! See screen shots taken after testing attached below...
I can confirm that the ModelRF@Virginmedia.com email account works correctly when used to send or receive to/from my personal email account.
I can also confirm that the password entered in the SMTP area for mailto: MRF@virginmedia.com is also correct.

#Lumpy Burgertushie.. I can set up an email account with One.com the hosting company. As I use that method for contact for my model clubs web site account that they host too. But that needs me to log in to the One.com email section each time I need to send a reply. (Auto forwarding of incoming emails is enabled from the One.com email account to my personal email account.) Sorry if I seemed to suggest otherwise. Its simpler if forum emails go directly to and from by Virginmedia.com email accounts.

BTW. How does all this factor in on the membership being emailed with notifications of new posts when they check that box in a topic? Or is that a totally different area??

Thanks and still struggling, Brian!
Error log 12-10-18.jpg
SMTP settings 12-10-18.jpg
Last edited by Brian Lambert on Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 am

FWIW - I used to have email issues using SMTP at one.com but, for my purpose at the time, it didn’t matter too much. Eventually I set up an email address within my one.com hosting account and set replies from that address to go to directly to Outlook so it was basically seemless. All of a sudden all my emails started to work as expected. If you don’t know how to do the above there’s plenty of info on one.com’s website or if you speak to live chat they’ll do it for you. I also suggest you don’t use admin@, info@ or noreply@ or any of the common ones you see, use your name or mydomain@mydomain etc.
Brian Lambert wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am
But that needs me to log in to the One.com email section each time I need to send a reply
I don’t I just added my ‘from’ email address to my host address in Outlook, if it sees @mydomain it automatically sends the email with the from address I set, as I said, seemless. (I think you can do that with gmail client as well)
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

EA117

Post by EA117 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:11 pm

Brian Lambert wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:27 am
Unfortunately following your steps the email still doesn't work! See screen shots taken after testing attached below...
That configuration looks correct / as intended. But the "connection timed out" error message suggests that perhaps One.com is blocking outbound 465 traffic. (Something I know my host, Godaddy.com, does indeed do. But no idea whether One.com would also be doing that or not.) Unless some other One.com hosting user jumps in with information about how they successfully used an external SMTP server, I think we have to assume that One.com is blocking it.

There might be a way around that, if VirginMedia supports alternate encrypted and/or non-encrypted non-standard ports for SMTP. But I've poked at them a little bit without success, and don't see any documentation that suggests VirginMedia has any other supported SMTP ports.

If its important to use the @virginmedia.com email address for the phpBB board, then the next step is probably to talk to One.com about the hosting account, and whether One.com expects the apps running on your host to be able to communicate with external SMTP servers or not. And what they would recommend for attempting to use the external VirginMedia SMTP server, if different from what you're already doing.

Otherwise, the arrangement of creating a separate @modelrailwayforum.co.uk email account for the board to use will be the path forward.

Forwarding that new @modelrailwayforum.co.uk email account to an existing account like modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com that you're already configured to pick up in Microsoft Outlook is indeed one approach.

Note it's also expected that you should be able to add the @modelrailwayforum.co.uk email account as an additional account that Outlook is picking up the mail for directly, without needing any "forwarding" arrangement. i.e. Instead of having to use the webmail portal, you'll see the new mail in Outlook just like your existing modelrailwayforum@virginmedia.com account, and Outlook will "reply" with whichever of the two email addresses the mail was received on.

What the IMAP/POP/SMTP configuration you need in Outlook to access the @modelrailwayforum.co.uk email account is up to One.com. But I do see they have "imap.modelrailwayforum.co.uk" and "mail.modelrailwayforum.co.uk" and "smtp.modelrailwayforum.co.uk" already created as DNS names, so I'm assuming those are probably what they expect to be used for email accounts created in your hosting account.

I've been picking on "Microsoft Outlook" because that's what your screen shot showed; but of course we're talking about whatever email client you actually want to use.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:15 pm

If you have any doubts about one.com just chat with them, they're very helpful in my experience.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

There are no ‘threads’ in phpBB, they are topics.

Brian Lambert

Post by Brian Lambert » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:31 pm

#EA117. Sorry to give you so much of a problem. I'm getting more frustrated every time I try to do something that fails! :cry: Been at this nearly four days now!

Good news is that I've set up a dedicated email account on One.com servers. mrf@modelrailwayforum.co.uk

What information needs to go where on the forums email ACP is now the question?

Perhaps a little more guidance if you wouldn't mind?
Below is a screen shot of the One.com email account with all (apparently?) that is needed!

Is it enough? If so, what goes where?
One.com email account.jpg
Thanks for your time its really appreciated

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”