3.2.2->3.2.3 modified files warning, and unable to continue update process button

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Maxburn

3.2.2->3.2.3 modified files warning, and unable to continue update process button

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:15 pm

Help me understand what the point of these messages and exercises is?
Modified files
» View/Hide file list
The following files are modified and do not represent the original files from the old version. The updated file will be a merge between your modifications and the new file.

STATUS_MODIFIED
language/en/common.php
styles/prosilver/theme/common.css
Above message has me download some files from the server. Below has me uploading a couple back to the server.
Download modified files archive
Once downloaded you should unpack the archive. You will find the modified files you need to upload to your phpBB root directory within it. Please upload the files to their respective locations then. After you have uploaded all files, you may continue with the update process.
Why am I doing this? Why isn't the upgrade able to handle this?

More importantly once I've done it the continue update process button is grayed out and I can't complete the upgrade. After clicking the "check files again" button I am presented with a list of new and not modified files and a update files button. After that completes I'm back at the "Download modified files archive" page again. How do I finish this?

Maxburn

Re: 3.2.2->3.2.3 modified files warning, and unable to continue update process button

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm

As I keep getting a circular process above I checked and I do not have the files listed below even after it said it was going to add it. So I guess that's where it is hung up, adding new files. Is there a permission setting I need to change somewhere that isn't mentioned in the instructions? Why else wouldn't it be able to add these files?
New files
» View/Hide file list
The following files currently do not exist within your installation. These files will be added to your installation.

STATUS_NEW
phpbb/db/migration/data/v32x/enable_accurate_pm_button.php
phpbb/db/migration/data/v32x/v323.php
phpbb/db/migration/data/v32x/v323rc1.php
phpbb/db/migration/data/v32x/v323rc2.php

warmweer

Re: 3.2.2->3.2.3 modified files warning, and unable to continue update process button

Post by warmweer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Did you modify common.css and the common.php?
If that if the case (and are the only changes) then updating would be as simple as downloading the full phpBBpackage (or the 3.2.2 >3.2.3 changes files). Manually editing the new common.php and common.css. Uploading the files and running the install (update).
Autoupdate is generally not recommended.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm

warmweer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm
Did you modify common.css and the common.php?
I don't think I did. I remember changing something to accomplish hiding register links, my forum is LDAP. viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2473986. Other than that I think I touched something to show our logo. That's it.
warmweer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm
If that if the case (and are the only changes) then updating would be as simple as downloading the full phpBBpackage (or the 3.2.2 >3.2.3 changes files). Manually editing the new common.php and common.css. Uploading the files and running the install (update).
Autoupdate is generally not recommended.
That sounds exactly like what I did, uploaded the vendor and install folders from 3.2.2 >3.2.3 changes files and ran the install which lead to the above.

At this point lets just go with the system default common files and get the board back up. What do I do?

Edit; also if the auto update process is broken or not recommended than why does the forum version check lead you down that road?

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm

That auto update info on version check is fixed & will be changed to full package in next version. There are so many topics about not using auto update method, so we can't say, there's no info about it. Full package is the right way to update!
"When answer lies in the question,.. question becomes redundant!"

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:51 pm

GanstaZ wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 pm
That auto update info on version check is fixed & will be changed to full package in next version. There are so many topics about not using auto update method, so we can't say, there's no info about it. Full package is the right way to update!
Thank you!

I guess I will look for the full package update and start over.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:56 pm

Maxburn wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm
That sounds exactly like what I did, uploaded the vendor and install folders from 3.2.2 >3.2.3 changes files and ran the install which lead to the above.

At this point lets just go with the system default common files and get the board back up. What do I do?
Typo alert: "changes" should have been "changed" but I guess you got it right.
Are you saying you uploaded the vendor and install folders only?
The point of the changed files package is that all files which were changed are included and should be uploaded.

If you have modified the 3.2.2 yourself then you can see (beforehand) whether your modifications would be affected, in which case you can redo the modifications (beforehand).
Maxburn wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:33 pm
Edit; also if the auto update process is broken or not recommended than why does the forum version check lead you down that road?
I'm not saying it's broken (I wouldn't know as I don't use it) but uploading an archive and unpacking it automatically on the server doesn't always run smoothly.

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm

Compared to auto (for those who know how to handle errors on their own) or files changed (you will ran into problems if you have modified core files), full package Is the best choice. If everything is done as described in official docs, then all should be good (chances to ran into errors is very low).

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

Edit: I restored the previous changes and started the below from a working forum.

This isn't working either.

Working from the changed files update and this help page: https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents ... date_files

I took the contents of phpBB-3.2.2_to_3.2.3.zip plus the vendor and install folder that comes with the changed files zip and put that on the server.

Those instructions state
/install/app.php/update, select "Update database only"
but there is no such option. All I get is the usual intro, check requirements, set install data, update files, and update database. So I clicked through that and on the diffing files step and got a ton of errors. Clicking through again now gets this error every time.
The file differ failed to open Array.
[phpBB Debug] "file_get_contents(../install/update/new/adm/style/acp_ext_list.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory" in file /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/install/module/update_filesystem/task/diff_files.php on line 182
[phpBB Debug] "Array to string conversion" in file /var/www/html/phpBB3/phpbb/language/language.php on line 313

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:23 pm

I guess I'm completely hosed now. Trying to recover from my last post I restored the contents of phpBB3 and checked file/folder permissions. Board is completely crashed now showing this.

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 255: mysqli_fetch_assoc(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 317: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 255: mysqli_fetch_assoc(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysqli.php on line 317: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result
Return to index page
General Error
NO_STYLE_DATA
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster
I do have a backup of the forum I grabbed from the admin control panel before I started. I could also look into restoring the whole VM.

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Well I did a fresh install of 3.2.2, fixed permissions and pulled the config.php, files and avatars out of my backup and it seems the forum is back up and to normal. Not sure why my backup/restore wasn't working but I'm back at square 1 on 3.2.2. I think that's enough for a while.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Maxburn wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:58 pm
Well I did a fresh install of 3.2.2, fixed permissions and pulled the config.php, files and avatars out of my backup and it seems the forum is back up and to normal. Not sure why my backup/restore wasn't working but I'm back at square 1 on 3.2.2. I think that's enough for a while.
Well, it just shows that making a backup before applying any changes (even updating) is never a bad idea.
What you should do now is find out exactly which changes you made to the default board : with changes I mean and file edits (including in the style), extra styles (which may not be compatible with 2.2.3?), database changes, extensions?

The good thing is that you can try to update again (using the complete fileset, or only the changed files) but by uploading the files yourself (don't let the system download anything automatically) knowing that if anything goes wrong, it's always possible to revert to the previous version.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:01 am

and it also shows whyy the file replacement method of updating/upgrading is the best and easiest way to do it.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ating-32x/

roberty
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Maxburn

Post by Maxburn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Well yesterday I wiped out the phpBB3 folder and installed a fresh new 3.2.2. Uploaded my backup contents of files and avatar folders and checked all permissions, board was back and working fine. The only thing I noticed was different was the PHPBB logo top left was back where I had put ours there before, but if that makes the board a complete PITA to maintain I'm OK with that. This time I did the 3.2.3 upgrade using changed files and it worked, everything on the board looked good and I thought I was done.

This morning the board is a straight up 500 error. Seriously why?

I cleaned out the contents of cache except index.htm and still a 500 error. What the heck guys?

GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Check your server log file.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”