3.2.0-a2 empty posts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
e314

3.2.0-a2 empty posts

Post by e314 »

Hi,

after upgrading to 3.2.0-a2 from 3.0.1 (I think, as it happened long time ago), several posts display as blank, although the text is present in the database records.

Being unable to revert to the previous version, I have tried to upgrade to the latest version in hope that the problem would be solved, but it seems all the upgrade paths failed.

Before trying again and gather details on how exactly the upgrade fails, I was wondering if it's possible to make a clean install of the latest version, and somehow just import data from the old database.

IIS10, PHP 7.0.0, MySQL 5.7.20

Thanks,
e
EA117

Re: 3.2.0-a2 empty posts

Post by EA117 »

The symptom (some posts don't render) brings to mind behavior seen with specific bbcodes when the messages haven't been reparsed yet post-upgrade. Other posts within the same topic would render fine, but specific posts within the same topic would look "blank". In our case this also happened when the bbcode was actually being referenced in a user's signature, rather than the message itself; and therefore "all posts by user X" would seem affected.

But "upgrade occurred a long time ago" makes it seem like the phpBB cron job that is reparsing the 100 posts at a time maybe should have already gotten though all your messages; depending on how long ago we're really talking about, how busy the board is to have kept the cron active, and how many total posts there are to process.

You can rule out whether reparsing is the root cause of this behavior by manually invoking a full reparse of the board as described in Knowledge Base - phpBB 3.2+ Text Reparser.
e314

Post by e314 »

Thanks, attempted, with this unexpected result:

Code: Select all

[37;41m                                                                  [39;49m
[37;41m  [Symfony\Component\Console\Exception\CommandNotFoundException]  [39;49m
[37;41m  There are no commands defined in the "reparser" namespace.      [39;49m
[37;41m                                                                  [39;49m
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Yeah, yikes. On the one hand, if reparsing is even the issue, maybe this failure relates to why the messages haven't already been reparsed successfully before now. But someone other than me who actually knows about the phpBB reparser or namespaces design would have to comment on whether this error message suggests something missing or incomplete from just a database perspective, or from the file system perspective, would possibly be corrected by performing an upgrade to a later version, etc. Or maybe is even some kind of expected condition. I do not know the answer.

From just an end-user's perspective, seeing that message would make me think something was incomplete or damaged about my current 3.2.0 installation, and I would make copious file system and database backups before trying to then upgrade to a current phpBB release. Not because there is an expectation "that is probably a known issue and has been fixed", but more to the point of just attempting to impose correct database and file system changes again on the board in hopes of instantiating what's currently missing.

Waiting for additional input first would probably be the smartest move, in case the "missing reparser commands" brings something specific to mind for someone else. If and when you pursue performing an upgrade, do choose to take the "full package" route, since automatic update seems to have been raising more than it's expected share of issues recently.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

You can try this but do a full DB & Files backup before to go ahead.

https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/3.2/3.2.3/phpBB-3.2.0-a2_to_3.2.3.zip
https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... _3.2.3.zip

If not already tried.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
e314

Post by e314 »

3Di wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:17 pm You can try this but do a full DB & Files backup before to go ahead.

https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/3.2/3.2.3/phpBB-3.2.0-a2_to_3.2.3.zip
https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... _3.2.3.zip

If not already tried.
So, I tried this, and the update process went through. However I end up with this

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Patchwork\Utf8\Bootup' not found in D:\Web\LALISTA\forum\includes\utf\utf_tools.php:27 Stack trace: #0 D:\Web\LALISTA\forum\common.php(97): require() #1 D:\Web\LALISTA\forum\index.php(23): include('D:\\Web\\LALISTA\\...') #2 {main} thrown in D:\Web\LALISTA\forum\includes\utf\utf_tools.php on line 27
So I thought... "ok, the DB has been converted to 3.2.3. What I can do now is just make a 3.2.3 fresh install, and point it to my old DB". However that doesn't seem to work too, with the board working but simply saying "Sorry, this forum is currently unavailable".
david63

Post by david63 »

e314 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 am with the board working but simply saying "Sorry, this forum is currently unavailable".
Have you deleted/renamed the install folder?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
e314

Post by e314 »

david63 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:24 am
e314 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 am with the board working but simply saying "Sorry, this forum is currently unavailable".
Have you deleted/renamed the install folder?
Ugh, yes I totally forgot to do that.
However after doing so:
This board has no forums.
e314

Post by e314 »

Fixed, after restarting IIS.
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

e314 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:46 am Fixed, after restarting IIS.
Good, now you should be able to run the CLI reparser - do you confirm?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”