Please help with HTTP 500 ERROR

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Real_Bill_Thompson
Name: William Thompson

Please help with HTTP 500 ERROR

Post by Real_Bill_Thompson »

Current version

I know the latest version is 3.2.3 but, before I update, I want to fix something, if possible. I get a HTTP ERROR 500. But it is only during one particular activity. It only happens AFTER I have logged in and if I try to post a new topic or reply to an existing one. My internet server provider tells me that the error log says:

[16-Oct-2018 20:50:16 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function generate_smilies() in
....../arguemax.com/_phpBB-3.0.12/posting.php on line 1696 is the error

Please help or advise.
Last edited by Kailey on Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to [3.2.x] Support Forum
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Please help with HTTP 500 ERROR

Post by warmweer »

Real_Bill_Thompson wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 am Current version
error log says:

[16-Oct-2018 20:50:16 America/Denver] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function generate_smilies() in
What is "3.0.12" doing there?
A remnant of a MOD?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

In all versions 3.0.12 through 3.2.2, the generate_smilies() function gets accessed in the same manner. So "corrupt or missing files" seems like the most plausible reason for the reported error, since not even "there is still an old version of a posting.php-related file hanging around" would explain this function being unresolved.

If you really wanted to surgically identify and fix the 3.2.2 board before moving to 3.2.3, downloading a copy of your board's current file system and then using BeyondCompare or another tree diff tool to compare your current board's files against a clean 3.2.2 full package .zip extraction is probably the way to do that. To identify any and all files in your current board's file system that are missing or corrupt (and/or intentionally modified, if you have done that), since this posting.php-related issue might not be the only issue.

Proceeding with a 3.2.3 upgrade, specifically using the full package approach, would be another way to overwrite/replace any files that are corrupt or missing. Do not use the automatic update, changed files, patch files, or any other method which tries to deliver "only what has changed since 3.2.2". Since your intention is to try and fix an unknown corruption, and there will be no guarantee that all the missing/corrupt files would be replaced without using the "full package" approach.

You do want multiple good database backups and file system backups before attempting the upgrade. So that you can get back to the point you're currently at now, in case some additional unexpected issue and/or deeper root cause of this corruption becomes revealed during the upgrade.
Real_Bill_Thompson

warmweer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:01 am
Real_Bill_Thompson wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 am Current version
error log says:

What is "3.0.12" doing there?
A remnant of a MOD?
It is a foolish and short sighted directory name from long ago when I was comparing different Content Management Systems. It has nothing to do with the actual current version
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 am Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Real_Bill_Thompson

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 am
HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:53 am Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
I will. But first, I just noticed that functions_posting.php (where generate_smilies is supposed to be defined) IS COMPLETELY EMPTY. I wonder how that happened. What makes things really fun is that WinMerge shows the files as identical when one file is completely blank. So tracking this down was extra fun. Maybe this will fix the problem when I fix this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”