Permission group for VIP group

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Midev

Permission group for VIP group

Post by Midev »

Hello
Im having a small problem of permissions for two basic groups. New and registered old users.the adding to the vip group for the donors is going well in addition its going to default for the donors but the permissions depends on the two previous groups and the member is still attachef to those groups 
How to take them out after the default donation ?
Thank's
MIDEV
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Permission group for VIP group

Post by KevC »

Let's just try and break this down a little bit.

I assume you mean the default groups of the Newly Registered Users and the Registered Users

Everyone is and should be in the Reg Users group. That is the base set of permissions for everyone.
Membership of the Newly Reg'd users (NRU) group is dependent on the value in user registration settings > new member post limit. When they get that number of posts, they automatically leave the NRU group and the restrictions of that group are dropped.

If you want another group for 'donors' you set that with the permissions you want over and above those of the reg'd users group. What do you want that group to do that normal registered users can't do?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Midev

Post by Midev »

hello,
i want them when they join a group that i made which is donors group, so when i add someone in that special group, i want them to be deleted from the other 2 groups automaticly, " the new registers users group and the registers users group ", so which settings should i use or go for ??
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Midev wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am ..., i want them to be deleted from the other 2 groups automaticly, " the new registers users group and the registers users group ", so which settings should i use or go for ??
KevC wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 am Everyone is and should be in the Reg Users group. That is the base set of permissions for everyone.
Removing users from the Registered group will remove default permissions and will give you headaches trying to set up the required permissions using either new groups or user-specific permissions, something you'll regret before you realise it.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

Midev wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am i want them to be deleted from the other 2 groups automaticly,
No you don't
KevC wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:18 am Everyone is and should be in the Reg Users group. That is the base set of permissions for everyone.
And when they have the requisite number of posts they will automatically move out of the NRU group

Edit: warmweer can type faster than me
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

What extra abilities will the donors group have over the other users? Access to a special forum?
It's better to explain the outcome you're after instead of how you think it should be done because removing people from those groups will cause a lot of problems and can be overcome in the permissions anyway.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Midev

Post by Midev »

i am having a certain categories opened only for a donors group, the special group will have permissions to checkout other special categories and forum but the normal ones cant
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

That's easy then. You don't have to take people out of those other groups.

permissions
group forum permissions
choose the donors group
choose the special forums
choose the permission of standard access (or +polls if you want that too)

Then
Permissions
group forum permissions
select the registered users group (and repeat for the NRU, guests and bots)
select the special forums
No Access

Now anyone in the donors group can see those forums, everyone else can't because the reg and newly reg users have a NO permission for the ability to see and post in them, the donors have a YES permission which overrides that.
Midev

Post by Midev »

your explanations are clear and to the point, the registred user group is still making the conflit between permissions above them all groups, so what i did is that i changed the number of posts permission for the new registered so that they will be changed to the normal registered i changed it from 1 to 200, so that even the users who are in the donors group and in the new registered group will still have all of their permissions without been transfered to the registred group and lose all permissions on contents, i hope you got the idea of what i did !!
thanks for your answers and appreciated support
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The only way that would happen is if there is a NEVER permission to see the forum in question. That can be avoided by changing it to NO and the YES permission from the donors group will override that.

The process I mentioned is no different to how people make a hidden admin forum. As long as the group you want to be in can see it and the others are on no access then only those people in the special group can see that forum, assuming none of the original permissions for those groups have been changed manually.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”