3.0.12 to 3.2.3 - install routine not engaging

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
timcumine

3.0.12 to 3.2.3 - install routine not engaging

Post by timcumine »

I need to upgrade to 3.2.3 and only have a backup of a board constructed in 3.0.12, so I think I need to:
1. re-install 3.0.12; and
2. restore the backup there; before
3. following the routine for upgrading to 3.2.3

I have Filezilla-ed 3.0.12 into place, yet when I follow the instructions to point the browser at the install folder, I am prompted to enter my ftp credentials and all that happens is that I am shown the contents of the install folder, no installation routine.

What am I doing wrong?
Last edited by timcumine on Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: 3.0.12 to 3.2.3

Post by Crizzo »

Hi,

no need to install 3.0.12.

Just upload 3.2.3, restore the 3.0.12 database via phpmyadmin or similar, create a new config.php by yourself and go to /install/

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
timcumine

Re: 3.0.12 to 3.2.3 - install routine not engaging

Post by timcumine »

Woah! That sounds super straight forward. I am due to sleep soon. It shall be all the sweeter knowing those straits have been fathomed. It'll be a day or two before I can head off down them. Many thanks tho. I'll report back.
EA117

Post by EA117 »

Note your "old board" is more than just the database. The database contains all the messages, posts and configuration options. Any files/attachments that had been uploaded, and any avatars or other forum images that were in use, are part of the file system and not the database.

So if you're truly intending to "upgrade the 3.0.12 board we had running before", you likely need to be doing FTP uploads of the /images and /files directories from the 3.0.12 board, in addition to restoring the 3.0.12 database. So that the 3.2.3 upgrade process has access to all the files being referenced by the database. Unless you just happened to be in a case of "the old board had zero attachments, zero avatars, etc."

As to your original issue of "entering the /install URL just displays the folder contents", that sounds like a case of entering "ftp://mydomain.com/install" instead of "http://mydomain.com/install". The "ftp://" prefix is asking for an FTP connection instead of the web server, even though the paths are otherwise identical. To start the phpBB install/upgrade process, you need to use "http://mydomain.com/install".
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If the op does what crizzo says, his files and images will remain intact
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
EA117

Post by EA117 »

stevemaury wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:36 am If the op does what crizzo says, his files and images will remain intact
Agreed, if we were talking about a running board that exists. OP's premise is "they have a backup of a board", and the only confirmed upload thus far was the 3.0.12 installation files.

Just wanted to interject and confirm that the restoration of files from their backup is also needed, since only restoration of the database from their backup had been cited thus far.
timcumine

Post by timcumine »

No time to respond to ALL the details above, but I can confirm that I had copied the URL from Filezilla, so I was indeed pointing my browser to ftp... not http... Can't wait to make THAT thing work!

And briefly, the 'old board' is a slow work in progress and the backup is of lots of work on a precious structure, without many significant posts / avatars / traffic of any welcome kind - mostly unexpected sign-ups form Mars during periods of inattention.

Thanks All!
timcumine

Post by timcumine »

I'm back in the saddle and there are some actions in Crizzo's reply that I need to learn...
no need to install 3.0.12.

Just upload 3.2.3, restore the 3.0.12 database via phpmyadmin or similar, create a new config.php by yourself and go to /install/
  • Upload 3.2.3 - I did this with Filezilla
  • restore db via phpmyadmin - I headed off looking at BigDump and installed notepad ++ - Is this really necessary? Is there an easier way?
  • create new config.php by myself - Is there a step by step guide somewhere?
Last edited by timcumine on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Info about bigdump and info about config.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
timcumine

Post by timcumine »

Many thanks.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”