Forget password feature ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
gordonisnz

Forget password feature ?

Post by gordonisnz »

Hello. Ive set up a phpbb a while ago, but have not used it much. I think its a new 3.xx series

Ive tried to log in now - and cannot find / remember my admin / my user-ID password.

PROBLEM:-

It asks for your user-ID and your email address but that combination is not valid & it wont send me my password.

Is it possible for a person to just enter ONLY their email address, & it will then send you the user-ID, and then if you still need to, use the rememer password feature where you enter both.

How / where do you go into the PHP source code to activate this ?

EDIT: When I say its not sending me an email, i mean - it tells me my ID/email address combination is not valid so its not even trying to send an email.
just to clarify, based on a few Google searches.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Forget password feature ?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

did you install the board yourself using the files from here? do you have have access to the hosting control panel and therefore to phpmyadmin or whatever the host provides for database access?

if so, follow these instructions:
viewtopic.php?p=14937696#p14937696
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
gordonisnz

Post by gordonisnz »

Ive managed to get into my Hosts MYSQL databases directly. Ive found my email address in one of the database tables, but can not see my administrator user-id. or the "ID"/"email" address in the one table.

Ive found my email address - but i remember having two IDs - my personal one,& my administrator one.

Is there a sql command i can use to see the 'administrators' / highest rank ID's / email addresses in the database. (excluding all the normal members / new users etc.)
gordonisnz

Post by gordonisnz »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:32 am did you install the board yourself using the files from here? do you have have access to the hosting control panel and therefore to phpmyadmin or whatever the host provides for database access?

if so, follow these instructions:
viewtopic.php?p=14937696#p14937696
Yes, I have access to the MYSQL database directly & there are dozens / hundred different tables to look through. (Ive found one for users - but it records my email address - but not the ID (in the same table). I notice a lot of BOT ids too :)

I'll check that URL & follow the instructions.
gordonisnz

Post by gordonisnz »

Ok, Im now in - and fixed / upgraded my own ID.

However I'm trying to demote the new admin1 ID. I see ive got to remove all the permissions first - before removing the ID.

ADmin control panel -> permissions tab -> permissions masks -> view adminstrative permissions

This screen shows green in the YES field/column for all entries. (it was only green for the 'use others permissions'. But apparently ive made it worse..)

There should e an easier way to manage a persons access - rather than viewing 3-4 different screen..
gordonisnz

Post by gordonisnz »

Demoted from founder first - then removed user.

all set. Thanks.
gordonisnz

Post by gordonisnz »

back to my original query.

Is there a way to allow a user - to JUST enter their email address & retrieve their user-ID if the regular forget-password feature doesnt work ?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

gordonisnz wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:12 am back to my original query.

Is there a way to allow a user - to JUST enter their email address & retrieve their user-ID if the regular forget-password feature doesnt work ?
User_id wouldn't help since you currently need e-mail + username to request a new password.

There's an extension in development which should answer to your needs. (see the extensions forums viewtopic.php?p=12909965)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”