BBcode for find & replace

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
thetripperchic

BBcode for find & replace

Post by thetripperchic » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm

does anyone know if there is bbcode for find and replace in the forum editor? and if so how do i add it? I know there is a page to add it to, but i don't know what to put in there.

Thanx a million

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: BBcode for find & replace

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:04 pm

not sure that is possible.
bbcode is a way to replace html in a post since you can't use html in a post.

if you can't do it with html then you can't do it with bbcode.

what exactly are you hoping to accomplish?

the end result, not how you think it could be done.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

thetripperchic

Post by thetripperchic » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:34 am

well, it was to find a word in the forum editor and replace it. I can find the word from the edit menu, but it does not have a replace. Had to replace alot of org's with cc's for postimage in some older post on my forum. was hoping there was an easier way to do it.

I was afraid there wasn't going to be a way to do it.

Thnx for getting back to me Lumpy, appreciate it.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:52 am

all of the posts are in the database. you could do it there with a single database query. however, that can be dangerous if you are not very careful and of course you must always make a backup of the database before you do anything like that.

I am thinking that you could maybe do this with the word censor. you could give that a try.

even if there was a possible search and replace in the post editor it would only apply to the post that you were currently looking at not to all posts.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

EA117

Post by EA117 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:22 pm

Jo Ann perhaps you can confirm, but I think what's being asked for here is for a "Search & Replace" function while editing a post or reply. i.e. Not any kind of "global" or "replace this word in all posts from the beginning of time." Just a "normal" search & replace option like you would have when editing any document, but in this context is while you're composing a message or reply on phpBB.

"As a BBCode" was really just in reference to "being available as a button at the top of the full editor" like the other BBCodes are, and not literally that BBCode can accomplish this type of action. Because no, BBCode cannot accomplish this action. What we're really asking for here is a new feature of the rich editor used for "Full Editor & Preview" editing in phpBB.

What's available from the "Edit" menu of the web browser itself is going to vary from browser to browser. But no, I agree, it's not typical that they have "editing" in mind to the extent of providing a "Search & Replace" option while you're in an editable field. In the near term, the best workaround when you have a long response that needs substantial editing like that would be to cut-n-paste it out into a normal document editor such as Word.

HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:30 pm

This post from Steve should help you viewtopic.php?p=14986171#p14986171

Remember to backup your database first

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:01 am

As explained in the manual for administrators and users, as well as in the FAQ: BBCodes are for formattings, not functions.
thetripperchic wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm
in the forum editor
How about CTRL+A, CTRL+X, open your favorite text editor to do things there, CTRL+A, CTRL+X, go back to your internet browser, CTRL+V?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”