Mod / Admin roles help (Werewolf game)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
thom_forum

Mod / Admin roles help (Werewolf game)

Post by thom_forum » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:54 am

Howdie,

we're trying to set up parts of a phpBB3.2 installation to play werewolf (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf_(game)

Currently, in the whole forum there's exactly one Moderator / Admin: Me.

What I'm trying to achieve:
Allow certain members to run a WW game in a specific subforum of a specific category. In this subforum, they (under a user role of "WW-Gamemaster") can create subforums and set reading and writing rights for users / groups. But ONLY in this category / subforum, not all over the forum.

What I so far managed is allow the GM to add and remove people to a group. So, technically, I could set up all the needed forums, create a role for every possible character-role in the game (wolf, hunter, mayor, regular villager, etc) and have the GM do things through those roles.

I'm not too happy with that. I'd rather the GM be able to individually give reading and / or writing permissions on a user AND group level, since the vast majority of game roles will never see more than one person use them (hunter, dog, cat, bee, seer, etc...).

Can someone help me get on track here?

david63
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: David Wood

Re: Mod / Admin roles help (Werewolf game)

Post by david63 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:08 am

What you are wanting to do is not possible in a vanilla install of phpBB. In order to achieve your objective your "Gamemasters" would need to have Admin permissions and whilst you can restrict the Admin permissions in some areas you cannot restrict them to one, or more, forums.

Making them group leader will allow them to add/remove members from a group and giving them Moderator permissions for a specific forum will allow them to moderate the content of that forum.

If you want them to be able to use restricted areas of the Admin area then you will need an extension to be able to do it and, from memory, I do not think that there is one.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

thom_forum

Post by thom_forum » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks David,

while that's not the answer I was hoping for, it's clear cut enough to work with. Hmm... from what I was told from former game masters, in the old forum we were using, things worked just like that. GMs were abe to set permissions on a user level. And that was phpBB

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure if GMs weren't simply made Admins. One of the kinks is, that the same board is being used for a completely different purpose (it's MAIN use, really) and that WW is just a welcome distraction from that. And I can't have WW GMs mess around with admin stuff of the main part... So, maybe the old forum didn't suffer from that, as it was single-purpose.

thom_forum

Post by thom_forum » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:19 pm

Just to go back to that part: If I DID set up all the forums and subforums, then groups for all possible character roles, and make the DM group leader for all of them... then the GM COULD run the game pretty selfsufficiently, without me needing to help, right?

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:10 pm

I used to run a board playing Werewolf.
All I did was make the GM the Group Leader for the Player, Wolf, Villager, and Mason groups. Each group had appropriate permissions on that group's forums. The GM would then add the player users to the appropriate groups. Easy Peasy.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”