Show guests new topic "button"

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Affin
I've Been Banned!

Re: Show guests new topic "button"

Post by Affin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 am

As a guest, you can not see the <new post> button. Guest should not be able to post at all but as is guest.
Attachments
SC.png
SC.png (33.09 KiB) Viewed 186 times

Affin
I've Been Banned!

Re: Create quick links like this style

Post by Affin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am

Toxyy wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:07 am
Affin wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:02 am
It is strange that guests can not choose a new topic.
Well, consider the system. For users, it is simple to log when they were last active on the forum, and on their next visit, phpbb checks for all new posts made after that date for that user.

If it were to work for guests, you would need to track each guest somehow, and store that individual's last visit. Otherwise, how is phpbb to know when that guest last visited, and how would it find new posts that the guest hasn't seen yet? It would be simply impossible.

Guests can, though, view Active Topics and Unanswered Topics, which would have a lot of the same results as New Posts, and these are able to be viewed without having to track every single guest.

Does this make sense?
I do not know what's logical, I'm not a programmer I do not know how the system is built. If it feels new topics but not new post sounds strange in my ears.

Toxyy

Re: Create quick links like this style

Post by Toxyy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:35 am

Affin wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am
I do not know what's logical, I'm not a programmer I do not know how the system is built. If it feels new topics but not new post sounds strange in my ears.
You can think of "New Posts" as being short for "New posts since your last visit". If it were available for guests, it would mean that phpbb were somehow able to track non logged in members somehow and store when those guests last visited.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity ||
[3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics

Affin
I've Been Banned!

Re: Show guests new topic "button"

Post by Affin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:38 am

Ok. It is not possible to show guests new post. Then it is clear and the thread can be locked.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”