Lost Ability To Make Sticky and Announcement

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
SeeinStripes
Name: Shawn

Re: Lost Ability To Make Sticky and Announcement

Post by SeeinStripes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 pm

It seems to only be happening in the section of the forum that only Admin can make posts.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
And then when I approve it, I have the option to notify myself that I have done so. LMAO What the...
Shawn McNew

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:57 pm

Then the group forum permission for that forum for Can post without approval is No or Never for some group you are in.

The Forum-based permissions mask on your username in that forum will reveal the problem.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 pm

I am in the Administrators group with default permissions and in the Registered Users group. Not in any Moderatorgroup
admin perm.jpg
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:06 pm

SeeinStripes wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:52 pm
It seems to only be happening in the section of the forum that only Admin can make posts.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.
And then when I approve it, I have the option to notify myself that I have done so. LMAO What the...
It was the group forum permissions for the global moderators. Thank you Mr. Maury! Looks like everything is high and tight at least for now. I love this place.
Shawn McNew

SeeinStripes

Post by SeeinStripes » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 pm

I'll be willing to bet that was my problem I was having back in October although I'm not sure how that setting got put that way because I never had issues before. I'm not touching anything now because it's all good. Have a great day fellas!
Shawn McNew

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:13 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:45 pm
sorry but you are incorrect about this. being admin and in the admin group and even being founder does not give you permissions to delete anyone else's posts, does not give you any moderative permissions. unless you are also in the global moderator group you can not do anything but access the admin panel if you are only in the admin group.

robert
As admin I can have moderative permissions without being member of a moderator group.
adminforum.jpg

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Yes, but you have to assign them to the Admin group. They are not default admin permissions. As your screenshot shows, thy are Moderator permissions. So if a user, without doing more, is in the admin group, they will not have Moderator permissions.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm

Quick Start wrote:Add the Standard Moderator or Full Moderator Role to the Administrators user group. This will allow your Administrators to moderate any forum, without having to add them to the Global Moderators user group.
Normally, the installed admin user is a member of the Global Moderators and does not need to worry about this, but I have always added Global Moderator permissions to the Administrators group.

As for your post approval problem, we have seen some Host 1-Click Installs that have incorrect forum permissions for the Global Moderators groups.
Go to your Global Moderators group and give them Full Access forum permissions.
Quick Start wrote:For most forums, give your Administrators and Global Moderators user groups the Full Access Forum Role. This will allow them to make Stickies and Announcements.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:02 am

First of all: my apologies to all who may have been misled by my posts in this topic.
The founding admin is automatically members of Registered Users, Administrators and Global Moderators.
My confusion was due to my principle of being the one and only admin, giving myself Full Access admin permissions, and removing myself from Global Moderators (since these permissions were covered by Full admin access anyway) (this also reduces potential conflicts in permissions settings).

My thanks to Lumpy Burgertushie, stevemaury and Brf for correcting me in this topic (and the extra info per PM).
I don't consider myself an expert on phpBB features but I've been using it since early 2003 and it seems I unwillingly got into a state of blindly taking for granted that my setup of Admin permissions (which suits my pupose 100%) is the default, a mistake I promise not to make anymore (promises can be unknowingly broken though ;) ).

I've now got an new board on localhost (default setup) for reference. 8-)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”