Issues with automatic update script (3.1.5 -> 3.2.3)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
boardman

Issues with automatic update script (3.1.5 -> 3.2.3)

Post by boardman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi all,

I'm having problems updating my phpBB board to the newest version and would appreciate some help. I am using the automated update script. I have uploaded all new files that were in the zip file provided by the update script. I have also deleted the obsolete ones. However, the script will still not allow me to finish the installation. I am stuck with a list of files that the script wasn't able to merge:
"The following files are modified and do not represent the original files from the old version. phpBB determined that these files create conflicts if they are tried to be merged. Please investigate the conflicts and try to manually resolve them or continue the update choosing the preferred merging method. If you resolve the conflicts manually check the files again after you modified them. You are also able to choose between the preferred merge method for every file. The first one will result in a file where the conflicting lines from your old file will be lost, the other one will result in losing the changes from the newer file."
Fine. I have done that. I investigated the conflicts and resolved them manually. Now I am good to go. I don't need a preferred merging method - but maybe I should be worried that I don't see one, either? All I can do is hit "update files", upon which more of the same duplicate files are added to "Conflict files". Additionally, two of the files I have investigated and resolved manually (see above) have now been added to the "modified files" list (which seems to indicate that the script wants to alter them AGAIN - which does not sound exactly promising).

Where do I go from here?

warmweer

Re: Issues with automatic update script (3.1.5 -> 3.2.3)

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 pm

boardman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:51 pm
Where do I go from here?
Start over.
The differences between 3.1 and 3.2 are quite big and chances that custom code will still work after the upgrade are slim.
Do the upgrade using the full package according to the document https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... upgrade31/

Just to avoid some (foreseeable) hickups, you may want to disable (or even remove) extensions first and only enable then after the upgrade (and after updating the extensions). When the upgrade is complete and succesful, then test and see if your custom code can still be used.
Last edited by warmweer on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 pm

We do not recommend the "automatic" update to do the upgrade from 3.1 to 3.2. Most of the files are replaced, so it is much simpler to do the full upgrade as is recommended on the automatic update page.
Automatic update page wrote:If updating from phpBB 3.1.x then please see our guide for the recommended updating method.

boardman

Post by boardman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks, but can anyone actually read my post and provide a reply that relates to it?

I said I am good to go. Files have been replaced and deleted. Those that caused problems have been manually reviewed and edited. The only "hickup" I have is that the update script won't let me update the database. Which means my site is down.

So the recommendation is to disable all extensions after all files have already been updated and merged, but before the update has fully commenced. Seriously? I find it hard to imagine how that would not result in a huge mess.

Also, if it isn't recommended to do an automatic update from 3.1.5. to 3.2.3, why isn't this information available in the only place where it matters and people will actually read it, which is the update page page where you can download the automatic script that can supposedly do this transition? How on earth should anyone downloading the script from the official site, without any warning or other kind of information on the contrary, seriously assume that it is NOT recommended?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Despite the fact you've done the merges you're better off just uploading the new 3.2.3 files now and running the update.
boardman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm
Also, if it isn't recommended to do an automatic update from 3.1.5. to 3.2.3, why isn't this information available in the only place where it matters and people will actually read it,
It is.
The first line on the auto update page says
If updating from phpBB 3.1.x then please see our guide for the recommended updating method.
And the guide links to the page that explains how to use the full download package to replace the old files with the new ones.
https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/#update
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 pm

boardman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:11 pm
if it isn't recommended to do an automatic update from 3.1.5. to 3.2.3, why isn't this information available in the only place where it matters and people will actually read it, which is the update page page where you can download the automatic script that can supposedly do this transition?
As I said, the link to the proper Upgrade page is right there in Bold. The automatic update is not designed for upgrading.
Attachments
Upgrade.png

boardman

Post by boardman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:10 pm

KevC wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 pm
It is.
The first line on the auto update page says
If updating from phpBB 3.1.x then please see our guide for the recommended updating method.
And the guide links to the page that explains how to use the full download package to replace the old files with the new ones.
https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/#update
Communication issues - and essentially the reason why I have stopped using phpbb years ago, except for one site.

phpBB instructions always seem like they have been written by lawyers. Which is why the replies in these forums are so full of told-ya-sos and why-didn't-you-check-out-the-fineprints. For normal people, of course, who are not so much into hairsplitting, the automatic downloads page really says nothing about this type of upgrade being unsuitable for an upgrade 3.1.x to 3.2.x. Consider the suggestive power of that upgrade script being available in the first place (why would the good folks at phpbb provide something that doesn't work!) and then all it really says is that the user should follow the guidelines. Which I thought I did: I downloaded the upgrade file and followed the instructions in that file. You will now tell me that those are not the same instructions and that I should have followed the OTHER instructions (= told-ya-so). Technically, that's correct. It's just not helpful, that's all I'm saying.

I will now go ahead, re-upload my site and do an upgrade from 3.1.5 to 3.1.12, which is what I wanted to do in the first place (before the automatic update page suggested that an automatic upgrade to 3.2.x was indeed possible).

EDIT: To anyone coming across this thread with a similar issues, upgrade scripts to 3.1.12 can be found here: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/3.1/3.1.12/

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 pm

You are confusing upDATES with upGRADES. The files for your extensions are still in the EXT folder and any database changes are still in your database. If you do not wish to disable the extensions, I doubt you will be successful in updating the database.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

boardman

Post by boardman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:17 am

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:32 pm
You are confusing upDATES with upGRADES. The files for your extensions are still in the EXT folder and any database changes are still in your database. If you do not wish to disable the extensions, I doubt you will be successful in updating the database.
It seems to me like you might be the one who is confused. I am not a native speaker, and whether you call it update, upgrade or abcdefg makes zero difference to the topic at stake. I came here for help, not for English lessons.

I would like to mention once more that nobody was willing (or able) to address the issue I posted. Instead, I had to undergo the usual hairsplitting, and face the usual pressure to adjust my problem to the solutions offered.

While the warning to adhere to the GUIDE page and disable all extensions before upgrade was good advice, it failed to address the reason why I came here - because of a buggy up**** script that would keep prompting me to review and correct the same conflicting files, promise up**** options it didn't have, keep adding duplicates of the same files to the review list and refuse to ever let me update my database.

Believe it or not, but most people have a reason for using the automated up**** script. The typical reason is the presence of modifications that are not part of extensions and cannoted be switched on or off with a few clicks. Doing a clean install is therefore rarely an equivalent alternative.

In the end, since I did need phpBB 3.2.x (the main purpose of this was to make my site php7 compatible), I ended up doing a "clean" install with the merged files I received from the buggy up**** script. That went reasonably well, I ran into a few issues, but those weren't due to improper merging, but simply to a bit of code that wasn't compatible with the new version.

Individually I thank everyone for chiming in, but on a collective level I can't help but wonder how so many people keep posting on a board this size without ever realizing that they aren't providing meaningful help. It's been going on for years, and I find it both fascinating and spooky. Who knows, maybe one day a social scientist will stop by and solve the mystery. All the best.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:34 am

It is not a semantic difference. An update is, for example, from 3.2.2 to 3.2.3. An upgrade is, for example, from 3.1.x to 3.2.x. They are different things, and involve different issues. That is why they have different names.

Good luck with your board in the future.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

Toxyy

Post by Toxyy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am

If you want tm update just the db you can make a copy of your db, make a new install, then set the new installs db to the copy, upgrade, then set your old sites db to the upgraded one.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

My extensions:
[3.2][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][RC] Show User Activity

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:35 am

boardman wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:10 pm
For normal people, of course, who are not so much into hairsplitting, the automatic downloads page really says nothing about this type of upgrade being unsuitable for an upgrade 3.1.x to 3.2.x.
Let's hairsplit a little bit more.The code differences between 3.1 and 3.2 are far from negligeable and it doesn't take an expert to realize that custom code, placed at a certain spot on 3.1, most probably will not be able to be placed at that certain spot on 3.2. Even automatically modifying a 3.2.x with custom code written for 3.2.(x-1) is taking a risk and should be tested before using it in production.
My 3.0.x boards (even 2.x boards, and now the 3.2 boards also) had custom code and I always modified by hand and tested (on localhost) before using it online.
Conclusion: normal people, whether they are into hairsplitting or not, wouldn't even think about automatic "updating" on an "upgrade".
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”