The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Big Mac
Name: David Shepheard

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Post by Big Mac »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.2
What is your board's URL? http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/index.php
Who do you host your board with? HostPresto
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.13
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No ACP access - can not provide this
What password can be used to view this issue? No ACP access - can not provide this
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I'm not sure we did anything that relates to this. I did add our 109th forum fairly recently.
Please describe your problem. Users get "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again." message when trying to post.
Session ID constantly changes.
Forum shows "You were not logged out, as the request did not match your session. Please contact the board administrator if you continue to experience problems." error, if people try to log out.
Generated by SRT Generator

I've been getting this problem off and on since October.

I'm not able to investigate it properly, as it stops me logging into the Administration Control Panel.

It's not easy to see the problem, without being logged in, but here are a couple of screenshots to show what users see:
The submitted form was invalid Try submitting again.jpg
You were not logged out .jpg
I can not access the ACP, while this behaviour is happening (as that is also dependent on Session IDs). Once it goes away, I can get into the ACP again, but I'm not sure how to look for something that will show me when the problem is starting and stopping.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
david63

Re: The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

Post by david63 »

Your cookie settings are wrong - see Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings

Your cookie domain is showing www.thepiazza.org.uk and should be .thepiazza.org.uk
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

david63 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 amYour cookie settings are wrong - see Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings

Your cookie domain is showing www.thepiazza.org.uk and should be .thepiazza.org.uk
Thanks.

I've changed that.

I'll ask the users to let me know if that does not clear the issue.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Big Mac wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:43 am
david63 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:48 amYour cookie settings are wrong - see Knowledge Base - Fixing incorrect cookie settings

Thanks.

I've changed that.

I'll ask the users to let me know if that does not clear the issue.
No. It's not cleared the issue.

I've created a situation where users are having to delete their cookies to get logged in. (I can't even log into my own user account - I've got a separate account for administration and that does not have a problem.)

We had something simier to this before and renamed our cookie to force everyone to log back in, but that is not working for my own user-level account. (And I don't want to have to talk dozens of users through the process of manually deleting cookies. :o )
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

Just rename the cookie in the ACP. Users won't have to delete it from the browser.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:31 amJust rename the cookie in the ACP. Users won't have to delete it from the browser.
Thanks.

I've tried that. (I tried it before I saw your post, as we had a similar problem in the past.) Sadly it didn't work.

(The people who already knew how to zap cookies zapped them, and the other users are all asking for help.)

While looking around, I saw that the phpBB version was out of date, so we have closed our forum and upgraded to the latest version a few hours ago.

The upgrade seems to have worked OK, but we now have a situation where the Session IDs are constantly rotating (instead of it being a periodic problem) and none of the admins are able to log into the ACP now.

I was hoping the upgrade would fix the problem. But it has followed us onto the new upgrade.

Does anyone know what might be making session IDs change constantly? One of my admins knows php a lot better than me, but I'm not sure what we should be looking for.

Has anyone seen another phpBB forum have a similar problem? Could it be a Denial of Service attack or something our hosting company might have changed?

EDIT: Oh, I'm not sure if it is relavant (so I'll mentinon it just in case) but the "Delete all board" cookies link at the bottom of our forum does nothing:
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 13.22.01.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-12-08 at 13.22.01.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
After changing our cookie settings, it didn't delete the cookie and after renaming the cookie it didn't delete cookies.

I'm not sure if that is "normal" behaviour for phpBB (i.e. changing the ACP settings stops that link from seeing old - corrupted - cookies) or if that was broken.

That link is a fantastic idea, and if it would delete all cookies related to our server we wouldn't have people asking us to help them find out how to delete individual cookies (on various desktop and mobile browsers).

(The problem with that link not working has also followed us onto the new phpBB upgrade.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Actually, you don't need the leading dot in the cookie domain, because you already have two. Remove it and rename the cookie again.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

stevemaury wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:28 pmActually, you don't need the leading dot in the cookie domain, because you already have two. Remove it and rename the cookie again.
Thanks. So just "thepiazza.org.uk" then?

I'll do that as soon as I can log in (which I can't right now).

Is this something I can change from outside phpBB (by editing a file on the server) or are we going to have to install the STK to hack our way back into the ACP?
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

You can edit it in the database and then purge the cache via FTP.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

RMcGirr83 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm You can edit it in the database
Or run the "special file" from the KB suggested above viewtopic.php?f=556&t=2492406#p15132831
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Bermudez
Name: Juan Antonio

Post by Bermudez »

Big Mac wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm Thanks. So just "thepiazza.org.uk" then?
No. It must have a dot at the beginning.
.thepiazza.org.uk
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I stand corrected. This is an exception to the two dot rule, as the tld has two. See Examples 2 & 3 in https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... -settings/
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Thanks for all the help so far (especially the clarification of ".thepiazza.org.uk").

My other admin seems to have cleared the problem, but then it came back.

He says that something is messing up the sessions over time. So this is our original problem.

It seems we can now reset it with the SKT (or something else my other admin has done) but we have not managed to figure out what is making the sessions get messed up.

I don't know if there are any tools I could use to get a log of when exactly the session ID thing might be starting.

EDIT: We have had the session ID problem come back again, since I first posted this post and my other admin cleared it again, but I noticed something that might be interesting.

Both of my accounts (non-admin and admin) were working OK after my other administrator said he had the session ID problem come back. However, I noticed I had left my admin account on an ACP page overnight (with my laptop asleep). I clicked on the board index page and back to the ACP expecting to be asked to log back in, but did not get asked to log in. So I logged out of the ACP, so that I could log back in again and BAM - the session ID issue started up on that account and I was no longer able to post.

But the problem is only causing problems with the one account (the admin account). The other account (the non admin account) is still working. (Deleting the individual cookie in that browser didn't fix the issue, either.)

My other administrator is asleep at the moment (we live in different timezones) but when we are both awake, I might see if we can reproduce this behaviour.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”