Upgrade failed due to SQL error (3.0.12 > 3.2.4)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
rommeltje

Upgrade failed due to SQL error (3.0.12 > 3.2.4)

Post by rommeltje » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.4
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? Amerinoc
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.12
What styles do you currently have installed? None anymore
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English (as far as I know)
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I was still on 3.0.12, because I had a bunch of MODs I didn't want to lose. But I finally decided that it was time to upgrade. I followed the upgrade userguide (https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/) all the way up to step 12. I used the Support toolkit to get rid of my mods. That went fine, except that after removing the last mod (topic tags), I got an SQL error for missing table phpbb3_tags, which...obviously. I decided to ignore that error and just go ahead with the upgrade.

As for step 6, setting British English as the only language pack: I think I did that, but I didn't take any action for it. I checked the default language of my board, and British English was the only choice. I also have never downloaded any additional language packs. So I assumed no further action was required.

In step 12, I just used my browser to go to the install folder, not the command line version, because I don't know how to do that (where are you supposed to write the command line?). My board is of reasonable size, but I don't think it really counts as a large board (though I don't know when it would count as one).

There was an error that I don't remember, but it then gave me the choice to "only update the database", which what I was supposed to do anyway, so I did. It went smoothly (though slowly) up to 51%, and then...
Please describe your problem. I got this error:
General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]Duplicate entry '1-1' for key 'PRIMARY' [1062]SQLINSERT INTO phpbb3_profile_lang (field_id, lang_id, lang_name, lang_explain, lang_default_value) VALUES (1, 1, 'INTERESTS', '', '') in file /home/[my_ftp_username]/domains/[my_site]/public_html/forum/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 997BACKTRACEFILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: installer_msg_handler()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 997CALL: trigger_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/mysql.phpLINE: 191CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 656CALL: phpbb\db\driver\mysql->sql_query()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/factory.phpLINE: 377CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_multi_insert()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/sql_insert_buffer.phpLINE: 138CALL: phpbb\db\driver\factory->sql_multi_insert()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migration/profilefield_base_migration.phpLINE: 119CALL: phpbb\db\sql_insert_buffer->flush()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\db\migration\profilefield_base_migration->create_custom_field()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 714CALL: call_user_func_array()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 661CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->run_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 436CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->process_data_step()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 351CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 288CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->try_apply()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 241CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update_do()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/update_database/task/update.phpLINE: 160CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->update()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.phpLINE: 149CALL: phpbb\install\module\update_database\task\update->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.phpLINE: 219CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/controller/update.phpLINE: 133CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()FILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: phpbb\install\controller\update->phpbb\install\controller\{closure}()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/StreamedResponse.phpLINE: 111CALL: call_user_func()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Response.phpLINE: 383CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\StreamedResponse->sendContent()FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.phpLINE: 62CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response->send()
The update has been hanging on 51% for over an hour now, and I don't think it's going to go forward anymore, but I also don't see a cancel button anywhere. Should I just close my browser, and start the whole upgrade process from the beginning?

And how do I avoid getting the same error next time around?
Generated by SRT Generator

warmweer

Re: Upgrade failed due to SQL error (3.0.12 > 3.2.4)

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:04 pm

The SQL error is bit strange :
Duplicate entry '1-1' for key 'PRIMARY' [1062]SQLINSERT INTO phpbb3_profile_lang (field_id, lang_id, lang_name, lang_explain, lang_default_value) VALUES (1, 1, 'INTERESTS', '', '')
I suspect your 3.0 database still has modifications which should be removed before attempting to upgrade. Best thing to do is to compare your 3.0.12 database to a new (empty) 3.0.12 database (if you still have the 3.0 modification instructions for the mods you can probably work out the database changes.)
The error about the missing table phpbb3_tags probably came up because you stil had modified files. After cleaning your 3.0.12 database, just check if it works with clean files.
Also, when upgrading, it can help to do it in steps (3.0.12 to 3.0.14, then to 3.1.12, then to 3.2.4). (Mind you this is a personal preference, not really necessary but it can avoid timeouts). (Ow, and I do it on localhost so that I can immediately test the move from php 5.x to 7.x)
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm

Hm, yes, that makes sense. Thanks for your answer. I'll try and scrub the files clean manually then.

*edit: Wait, but none of the files that I had to edit for the mod are present on the server anymore. As per the instructions of the upgrade guide, I only kept config.php, and the files, images, and store folders. All the other files are new ones from the 3.2.4 package. Is it still possible that that could be the issue? And if so, doesn't that mean I should be scrubbing the tables in my database?

*edit 2: Oh, hold up, that's what you were saying, that I should clean the database. Sorry. Alright, I'll try that.
warmweer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Ow, and I do it on localhost so that I can immediately test the move from php 5.x to 7.x
That may be a bit too advanced for me. :) Is that an easy thing to do?

Scanialady
Name: Annette

Post by Scanialady » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm

if you are able to define additional databases and subdomains on your server, you can create a mirror of your live board and use it for tests.
Webseite, Blog, Wiki
JV-Arcade / phpBB-Arcade / dmzx-Extensions Übersetzungsteam, andere deutsche Übersetzungen - german language files

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:13 pm

rommeltje wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
And if so, doesn't that mean I should be scrubbing the tables in my database?
Actually , the file modifications are totally unimportant since you're not going to use 3.0.x files anymore. It's the database modifications which have to be undone.
I'm not sure how good the STK is in cleaning the database. If you know exactly which modifications your board had and still have those installation files you could PM them to me and I could have a look which database modifications are present and should be undone.
rommeltje wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:37 pm
warmweer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Ow, and I do it on localhost so that I can immediately test the move from php 5.x to 7.x
That may be a bit too advanced for me. :) Is that an easy thing to do?
It may sound difficult but it's actually very handy for situations like with your board. However, this is perhaps not the right time to start.

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:38 pm

warmweer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:13 pm
If you know exactly which modifications your board had and still have those installation files you could PM them to me and I could have a look which database modifications are present and should be undone.
Thanks! I may take you up on that. I've looked through all the install files myself now, and I think I've got everything. But when I do a search query for words related to the mods, I still get a lot of results. I'm going to try and remove as much as I can, and then give the update another try. If it still doesn't work, I'll send you a PM.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:58 pm

rommeltje wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:38 pm
warmweer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:13 pm
If you know exactly which modifications your board had and still have those installation files you could PM them to me and I could have a look which database modifications are present and should be undone.
Thanks! I may take you up on that. I've looked through all the install files myself now, and I think I've got everything. But when I do a search query for words related to the mods, I still get a lot of results. I'm going to try and remove as much as I can, and then give the update another try. If it still doesn't work, I'll send you a PM.
Actually, you could try it yourself also just to get acquainted with checkking for abnormalities. Install a 3.0.12 board and then compare the tables with your board (which you want to upgrade). Any fields which are in your database and not in the clean 3.0.12 are suspect (not members, posts, topics and forum of course, anything from 3.0.12 missing in your database is suspect). Usually, comparing by sight can identify the item(s) causing problems when upgrading (no guarantees given though).

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeah, manually removing the mods wasn't a success. Upon re-updating, it just yielded a lot more SQL errors for 'missing columns', 'incorrect integer values', and more fun stuff like that.

I'm now going back to square one, I've re-imported the original database, and am now going to re-upload all the old forum files. Then I'll run the toolkit again, and then I'll hunt for leftovers.

Would it be alright if I PM'd you a screenshot of all the tables in my database, warmweer? Would you be able to identify which tables aren't supposed to be there? Or is there perhaps a list somewhere that I can check? That would be a lot faster than installing an entire new database somewhere else, I'd think.

*edit: I found one here: https://wiki.phpbb.com/Tables I guess I'll just go through that whole list, and make sure mine look the same.

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 pm

rommeltje wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:50 pm
That would be a lot faster than installing an entire new database somewhere else, I'd think.
Not really, all it involves is making a new database, making a new (empty) base directory for the new (testing) board, uploading the install files and running install. When your live board is upgraded, you could use that for backing up your live forum.

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:50 pm

warmweer wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 pm
Not really, all it involves is making a new database, making a new (empty) base directory for the new (testing) board, uploading the install files and running install. When your live board is upgraded, you could use that for backing up your live forum.
Alright, I'm going to try that. Before I do, however, let me double check:

So, I've made a new, empty SQL database on my server (on localhost, I guess (that's what it says at the top of the page in phpMyAdmin: "server: localhost >> Database: [the database I created]).

I've also made a new folder in my ftp, in the root of my site (next to the folder that contains all phpbb files for my actual site), and uploaded the original 3.0.12 phpbb forum files there (including the "install" folder).

Can I now just run the install and it won't mess with my site, and it'll create new tables in my new database?

And also, when it is done, will I have a shadow site? Like, if you type in mysite.com/forum, you'll get to my actual site, and if you type in mysite.com/test, you'll get to the newly installed one?

janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:18 pm

Can I now just run the install and it won't mess with my site, and it'll create new tables in my new database?
Yes (if you choose the right database.)
And also, when it is done, will I have a shadow site? Like, if you type in mysite.com/forum, you'll get to my actual site, and if you type in mysite.com/test, you'll get to the newly installed one?
Yes
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

rommeltje wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:50 pm
Yes, and that's perfectly OK, except perhaps for the fact that your shadow site could be found by trial and error (and by bots if you don't block those at the mysite.com level)
But basically it serves the same purpose as "on localhost" but for the fact that the 'personal' in "personal server" refers to your personal PC and in no way to your online host (localhost is the term universally used).
Have a look at https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... eb-server/.
It may seem daunting at first (it was for me when I started) but it doesn't take too long before you'll test everything on localhost and never have online problems (keeping fingers crossed ;) )

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Alright, thank you very much for your advice!

rommeltje

Post by rommeltje » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:08 pm

Edit: Ignore all of the below (I'm leaving it up in case someone has the same problem). I found the cause.

Turns out, using Notepad++ really is essential. I had created the merged file by "saving as" with regular Notepad. I had added the .sql extension, and saved in utf8, and assumed that would make a proper sql file. But I guess something else got lost in the process. When I recreated the merge in Notepad++, I didn't get any Syntax errors anymore.

However: it wasn't a good idea to try and merge these tables in the first place. When I import the table now, it runs ok for a while, but eventually it will hit a "duplicate entry" error, as apparently some of the topic ID's overlap.

So I'll just put all four tables back the way they were, and learn to live with having two extra tables in my database.
Ok, I think my database is clean now. Next problem: I get a syntax error when importing back-ups of tables, and I don't know where it is.

Some context:

I had a lot of superfluous tables in my database - probably because I changed the name structure during a past update. Most of the data was in my tables called phpbb3_[name of specific table]. But for every phpbb3 table, I also still had a phpbb table (so there was a phpbb3_topics and a phpbb_topics table, for example). Most of the phpbb_ tables still looked exactly the same as the fresh tables I installed on localhost for comparison, so I just dropped all of those. But the phpbb_posts and phpbb_topics still had some posts from the early days of my site.

I decided to export those tables and their phpbb3 counterparts, merge them on my computer through Notepad (come to think of it, I probably should've used Notepad++, but since that can't handle large files, I'd already gotten used to using regular Notepad again), drop all four tables from my database, and import the newly merged ones.

Now here's the issue:

As soon as I import one of these databases, I get this error:
Static analysis:

2 errors were found during analysis.

Unexpected beginning of statement. (near "phpMyAdmin" at position 0)
Unrecognized statement type. (near "SQL" at position 11)
SQL query:

phpMyAdmin SQL Dump # version 4.8.3 # http://www.phpmyadmin.net # # Host: localhost # Generation Time: Nov 21, 2018 at 03:51 PM # Server version: 5.6.39-cll-lve # PHP Version: 5.6.37 # # Database : `[my database name]` # # -------------------------------------------------------- # # Table structure for table `phpbb3_topics` # DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `phpbb3_topics`

MySQL said: Documentation

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
# version 4.8.3
# http://www.phpmyadmin.net
#
# Host: lo' at line 1
I've tried using a previously backed up version of phpbb3_topics (which worked when I uploaded it a few days ago), deleting all "INSERT INTO" lines from that, and replacing them with the INSERT lines from my new back-up, but I still get the error. I've also compared both versions of those lines, and they seem similar to me.

Here's what my backup looks like:
# phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
# version 2.5.6
# http://www.phpmyadmin.net
#
# Host: localhost
# Generation Time: Nov 17, 2018 at 10:17 AM
# Server version: 5.5.52
# PHP Version: 5.3.8
#
# Database : `[my database name]`
#

# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `phpbb3_topics`
#

DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `phpbb3_topics`;
CREATE TABLE `phpbb3_topics` (
`topic_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
`forum_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`icon_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_attachment` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_approved` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
`topic_reported` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_title` varchar(255) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_poster` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_time` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_time_limit` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_views` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_replies` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_replies_real` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_status` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_type` tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_first_post_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_first_poster_name` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_first_poster_colour` varchar(6) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_last_post_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_last_poster_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_last_poster_name` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_last_poster_colour` varchar(6) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_last_post_subject` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`topic_last_post_time` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_last_view_time` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_moved_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_bumped` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`topic_bumper` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`poll_title` varchar(255) COLLATE utf8_bin NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
`poll_start` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`poll_length` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`poll_max_options` tinyint(4) NOT NULL DEFAULT '1',
`poll_last_vote` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
`poll_vote_change` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
PRIMARY KEY (`topic_id`),
KEY `forum_id` (`forum_id`),
KEY `forum_id_type` (`forum_id`,`topic_type`),
KEY `last_post_time` (`topic_last_post_time`),
KEY `topic_approved` (`topic_approved`),
KEY `forum_appr_last` (`forum_id`,`topic_approved`,`topic_last_post_id`),
KEY `fid_time_moved` (`forum_id`,`topic_last_post_time`,`topic_moved_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=26733 DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_bin AUTO_INCREMENT=26733 ;

#
# Dumping data for table `phpbb3_topics`
#

INSERT INTO `phpbb3_topics` (`topic_id`, `forum_id`, `icon_id`, `topic_attachment`, `topic_approved`, `topic_reported`, `topic_title`, `topic_poster`, `topic_time`, `topic_time_limit`, `topic_views`, `topic_replies`, `topic_replies_real`, `topic_status`, `topic_type`, `topic_first_post_id`, `topic_first_poster_name`, `topic_first_poster_colour`, `topic_last_post_id`, `topic_last_poster_id`, `topic_last_poster_name`, `topic_last_poster_colour`, `topic_last_post_subject`, `topic_last_post_time`, `topic_last_view_time`, `topic_moved_id`, `topic_bumped`, `topic_bumper`, `poll_title`, `poll_start`, `poll_length`, `poll_max_options`, `poll_last_vote`, `poll_vote_change`) VALUES(1, 2, 0, 0, 1, 0, 'Welcome to phpBB3', 2, 1290284095, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 'Rommeltje', 'AA0000', 1, 2, 'Rommeltje', 'AA0000', 'Welcome to phpBB3', 1290284095, 1290285622, 0, 0, 0, '', 0, 0, 1, 0, 0);

And then all the other INSERT INTO lines
Can anyone point out where the syntax error is?

The version numbers at the top are from my previous backup, btw, the version numbers for my new database are:
#phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
# version 4.8.3
# Host: localhost
# Server version: 5.6.39-cll-lve
# PHP Version: 5.6.37

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”