Failed update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
AM2014

Failed update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Post by AM2014 »

I have resolved this problem but am leaving this post up in case others run into similar issues, as I do see similar complaints being posted in the past.

I resolved by running the database update from via a shell command rather than from the board, as documented here:
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... /upgrade3/
From your board's root, execute the following command: php ./bin/phpbbcli.php db:migrate --safe-mode
=========

My original post:

Board worked fine with 3.2.3

I am attempting to update to 3.2.4

Followed instructions to Update with Full Package.

I get a timeout error as soon as I click the "update" button.

In ACP panel, under "system", I get the message, "your phpBB installation has not been correctly updated." and instructions to "Visit the database updater, ensure Update database only is selected and click on Submit. Don't forget to delete the "install"-directory after you have updated the database sucessfully."

However, in the installer I do not have the option to select "Update database only". When I go to the update tab, no links are active (clickable)- I can only click "update" from the "Introduction section".

Doing that brings up a page that includes this statement:

"The following files do not exist in the new version. These files have to be deleted from your installation.

Deleted file
phpbb/install/module/obtain_data/task/obtain_imagick_path.php"

When I click the Update Files button, I get the timeout error-- again, this is immediate. I tried manually deleting the file noted above and it not make any difference.

PHP Error log shows, "PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method ftp::transfer() in /my/path/install/update/new/includes/functions_transfer.php:284"

Running PHP 7.2.12.
steadwell

Re: Failed update from 3.2.3 to 3.2.4

Post by steadwell »

Exact same situation here except I'm not timing out when I press "update", it just reverts back to the deleted file message referring to "phpbb/install/module/obtain_data/task/obtain_imagick_path.php". Since using shell commands will be my last resort, I'm trying to work through this without having to, but I cannot locate the ".../obtain_data/task/obtain_imagick_path.php" anywhere!

If I understand the upgrade process correctly, no updates should have occurred yet because of the condition in the pre-update requirements verification step. AM2014, you say you went ahead and updated the database via shell commands, so does that mean you bypassed the software update?

Trying to back-step now, I would think that just renaming the install folder would allow me to get back to the working 3.2.3 version, however, that bombs off due to errors related to caching, db, and "phpbb/avatar/manager.php on line 61".

There must be a logical solution to this, too many people have successfully gone it without having to "work around" it.

Haven't they?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Site is here but it's currently not accessible.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

there is only one way that I know of to get that message if you are using the full package and updating according to the instructions.

the instructions tell you to keep the folder named store. if you have attempted to update/upgrade using the auto update method then that leaves some files in the store folder that tell the software that you are trying to update using the old autoupdate method.

what you need to do is to make sure you have a copy of the store folder on your computer then delete the one on the server.
then, upload a new one from the phpbb full package download.

now, if you have truly replaced the old files with new ones you should be able to access the install page and click on the update tab and then on submit anbd then on the next page it will tell you that you just need to update the database. click on that button and it should update.
remember, you should also edit your config.php file to make sure you have mysqli instead of mysql.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
steadwell

Post by steadwell »

Bingo! I copied down the store folder, deleted it off the server, and restored it from the 3.2.4 full package (there was only index.htm and .htaccess). After running the update again, I opted for database update only and it worked like a champ. Apparently, the file updates had already run... don't know, but whatever happened, it happened for the best.

Okay, I know what happened, I manually uploaded the changed files from the upgrade only package with Filezilla, then went through the update process in the install online. I should have selected "db only" the first time (after all, I'd already updated the files, duh!). That explains it. I think.

Thanks for your assistance Robert! :D
david63

Post by david63 »

steadwell wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:52 am I copied down the store folder,
And after your successful update did you restore the store folder? Be aware that there are some extensions that put files in the store folder and if you have any of those extensions installed they may not work correctly.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”