Migrating Existing PHPBB Forum To New Host

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
aeneas1

Migrating Existing PHPBB Forum To New Host

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:00 am

want to transfer my existing phpbb forum to a new host and am wondering if the tutorial, dated 2011, is still relevant:

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... or-domain/

thank you very much!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Migrating Existing PHPBB Forum To New Host

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 am

yep, it is just the basics of website management.

you create a new blank database on the new host,
you then upload all the files/folders from the old host to the new.

you then import your old database backup into the new blank database.

basically done.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

kinerity
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Kailey Truscott

Post by kinerity » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 am

Yes, except that I believe BigDump does not support PHP 7.
Kailey Truscott - Community Team

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 am

first, thank you very much gents.

here's where i'm at:

- backed up the database using the admin panel, gz file, 34mb.
- backed up the folders/files in the root folder (public_html\xxxx\).
- uploaded the backed up folder/files to the new host's public_html folder (did away with the \xxxx directory).
- created a blank database at the new host using mymsql.

from here i import the backed up database using bigdump or ssh? which is easiest for a greenhorn?

also, my phpbb forum is currently a subdomain and located in a public_html\xxxx\ directory - on the new server i want the root to be the public_html folder (i.e. no more xxxxx directory) - i'm assuming i will have to edit the database to reflect this root change?

thanks again!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:56 am

you probably won't need to worry about the change in the location of the board. phpbb is very good about figuring that out by itself.

also, as far as how to go about importing the database just use phpmyadmin import tab from the new blank database.

as to bigdump, I do not know if it works on a server with php7 or not. your board may not work with php7 depending on what version it is.

I would suggest that unless your board is version 3.2 already that you downgrade your server php version to 5.6 before you start this process.

if, your import does not work/times out etc. , then you can worry about using bigdump or some other database program like my
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mysqldumper/

luck,
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:51 am

thanks very much for your reply, extremely helpful! as you suggested, i'm going to try to just import it to the blank database, but i noticed there are several settings, do i leave them all as is (default) or do i need to change anything? thanks again!

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:09 am

had a tough time trying to import the database as is using phpmyadmin, too big, kept timing out, so rather than work with bigdump or mysqldumper i just backed up the database in sections, around 5 or so backups containing multiple tables, and imported them one by one... when done all tables were accounted for on the new server and the migration seems to have worked perfectly given the forum, at its new home, seems to be rock solid.... my questions is, will i run into any probs down the road given how i imported the database (in sections)? thanks for your help!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:17 pm

as long as you got everything there should be no problems related to how you did it. since you did not mention any errors during the import of each of the imports then you are probably just fine.

good work,

robert

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:34 pm

The "problem" tables are the search tables which are usually the largest. These can be emptied so that you only need to repopulate them after the transfer (in the ACP). For other large tables (e.g. posts probably), these can be backuped in sections (1 to 50.000, 50.001 to 100.000, etc), making them much more manageable.
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:18 pm

well i'm having the oddest issues with my newly migrated forum....

- bbcodes no longer work, for example i am unable to quote a poster, underline text, color text, etc... when i try i get the following message: Your message contains too few characters.

- every post that included a quote prior to the migration is now blank.. if i edit one of these blank posts, i can see the quoted text and the reply to the quote. if i delete the quoted text, including the bbcode, and submit, the post (reply to the quote) displays.

- the new server/host is lightning fast, which is apparently caused by older posts being cached and newer posts not being cached (immediately) - i have to hit refresh to see new posts.

here's a link to my board:

https://www.ramsfansunited.com/viewforum.php?f=3

what on earth could be going on here? a database check shows everything as ok... do i need to scrap everything and import everything again?

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:08 pm

could the newer php 7.2 on my new host be causing these problems?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Hard to know what the problem is with so little information about versions, etc.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. PM or email me.

All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm

stevemaury wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:28 pm
Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

Hard to know what the problem is with so little information about versions, etc.
first, many thanks to everyone, the help you offered is greatly appreciated! and i will fill out a template... btw, since my last post i discovered that it appears php 7.2 is the culprit, am going to downgrade to 5.6 and see if it fixes my issues, fingers crossed!

EDIT - it appears that php 7.2 was indeed the culprit, downgraded to 5.6 and everything seems to be working like a charm! thanks again for all of your help!

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm

aeneas1 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm
EDIT - it appears that php 7.2 was indeed the culprit, downgraded to 5.6 and everything seems to be working like a charm! thanks again for all of your help!
Maybe I missed somethng but I can't find which version of phpBB you are using. The problems related to php 7.2 should be non-existent after upgrading to 3.2(.4)
A bug is a feature that hasn't made it to the manual (yet)

aeneas1

Post by aeneas1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 pm

warmweer wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:35 pm
aeneas1 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:51 pm
Maybe I missed somethng but I can't find which version of phpBB you are using. The problems related to php 7.2 should be non-existent after upgrading to 3.2(.4)
and that's the prob, i'm not using 3.2, still on 3.1.9, for many reasons, but do plan to upgrade sooner rather than later... i was using 7.2, but downgraded to 5.6.38 about an hour ago... everything is back to normal except for a weird caching thing, have to refresh the page to see new stuff a lot of the time...

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”