(RESOLVED)when updating someone forgot to disable mods and now the update isnt installing right

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ghostwolf308

Re: when updating someone forgot to disable mods and now the update isnt installing right

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

When I do that I now get this when I click upgrade
Then when I click submit I get the following
General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]Access denied for user 'bn_phpbb'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045] in file /home/default/html/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 997BACKTRACEFILE: (not given by php)LINE: (not given by php)CALL: installer_msg_handler()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 997CALL: trigger_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/driver/driver.phpLINE: 439CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_error()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 1056CALL: phpbb\db\driver\driver->sql_transaction()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/tools/tools.phpLINE: 444CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->_sql_run_sql()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/db/migrator.phpLINE: 1001CALL: phpbb\db\tools\tools->sql_create_table()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module/update_database/task/update.phpLINE: 134CALL: phpbb\db\migrator->create_migrations_table()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/module_base.phpLINE: 149CALL: phpbb\install\module\update_database\task\update->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/installer.phpLINE: 219CALL: phpbb\install\module_base->run()FILE: [ROOT]/phpbb/install/controller/update.phpLINE: 133CALL: phpbb\install\installer->run()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/StreamedResponse.phpLINE: 111CALL: phpbb\install\controller\update->phpbb\install\controller\{closure}()FILE: [ROOT]/vendor/symfony/http-foundation/Response.phpLINE: 383CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\StreamedResponse->sendContent()FILE: [ROOT]/install/app.phpLINE: 62CALL: Symfony\Component\HttpFoundation\Response->send()

Skip “installer.update_filesystem.download_updated_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.update_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.show_file_status” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.diff_files” task
Skip “installer.update_filesystem.check_task” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_ftp_settings” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.update_files” task
Skip “installer.obtain_data.file_updater_method” task

and im not sure how to reinstall my last database back up, I cant access my forum at all. I get

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Access denied for user 'bn_phpbb'@'localhost' (using password: YES) [1045]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

when I attempt to
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: when updating someone forgot to disable mods and now the update isnt installing right

Post by warmweer »

Ghostwolf308 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 pm General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Sounds like a cookie problem.
If you're working on localhost
check your config_table
cookie_domain localhost
cookie_name just give it a new name
cookie_path /
script_path /the path where your config.php resides (if you installed it into /forum, it would be /forum)
server_name localhost
version put the version from which you stated updating here e.g. 3.2.2
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Ghostwolf308

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

time to sound stupid. where do I find that info? By local host do you mean personal server, it is hosted by someone else.
I've been learning as I go and was doing great till this mess happened
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Ghostwolf308 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:02 pm time to sound stupid. where do I find that info? By local host do you mean personal server, it is hosted by someone else.
I've been learning as I go and was doing great till this mess happened
If it's hosted by someone else, install a new phpbb3.2.2 board just to see what the config_table values should look like (the fields I mentioned) and use that info to set the correct values in your broken board config table (use another cookiename so that these don't cause conflicts).

I strongly suggest you set up a personal server on your PC (try USBWebserver, the most simple one available). It takes 2 minutes to install, 10 minutes to have a look at it, 10 minutes to install a test board, say half an hour to get an idea of the tablestructure in phpBB.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Ghostwolf308

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

doesnt look like I can add another phpbb install without paying for one. plus the command shell is different now than it used to be. Less DOS like, so trying to find directories to locate the cookies isnt going to be easy at all. Why am I starting to get a feeling like im screwed
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

You make things more complicated than the are, why use the command shell?

PhpMyAdmin works perfect.
Paying for a other phpbb installation???
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Ghostwolf308 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 pm doesnt look like I can add another phpbb install without paying for one. plus the command shell is different now than it used to be. Less DOS like, so trying to find directories to locate the cookies isnt going to be easy at all. Why am I starting to get a feeling like im screwed
not sure what any of that means.. you can add as many phpbb installs on your server as you like whether it is on your home computer or elsewhere.

you can't "pay" for a phpbb installation. it is free software and you simply install it somewhere that has php and mysql for the database.
what "command shell" are you talking about? cookies are not located in a directory anywhere.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Ghostwolf308

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:46 pm You make things more complicated than the are, why use the command shell?

PhpMyAdmin works perfect.
Paying for a other phpbb installation???
I tried to figure that out and had no luck. Guess Im to new at this
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:47 pm
Ghostwolf308 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 pm doesnt look like I can add another phpbb install without paying for one. plus the command shell is different now than it used to be. Less DOS like, so trying to find directories to locate the cookies isnt going to be easy at all. Why am I starting to get a feeling like im screwed
not sure what any of that means.. you can add as many phpbb installs on your server as you like whether it is on your home computer or elsewhere.

you can't "pay" for a phpbb installation. it is free software and you simply install it somewhere that has php and mysql for the database.
what "command shell" are you talking about? cookies are not located in a directory anywhere.

robert
when I went out to my server control panel there is nowhere to install another phpbb install that I can see. where would the cookies be located then? Again I am new to alot of this
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Again I am new to alot of this
I strongly advice you to ask for help on somebody who knows what he is doing before you brake your board totally.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Ghostwolf308

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

agreed. guess I'll have to find someone. Looks like I should have not tried to upgrade phpbb.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

You're not screwed, your board is ... temporarily.

You don't need to find any directories for cookies. Just see whether they are configured correctly in the config_table.
Like I said, I'm willing to have a look at it, and hopefully probably fix it.
What I would need is the database (preferably the situation before the update, or the situation at the moment when the update failed), + a list of extensions that where installed. (and styles, and languages)
You also mentioned "mods" - if this implies 3.0 modifications, then I'ld also like a list (and if possible the install files) so that I can identify database changes. If this implies 3.2 file modifications then I'ld need those too if they resulted in database modifications.
I don't need your config file (or password).

OK, just read all the other comments while I was writing this.
I agree with janus_zonstraal that it's best not to mess with the board anymore.
I now even suspect that this board wasn't installed by the owner but through a host one-click-install, in which case fixing the board could be made very difficult if the host made changes to files and database.
Get hold of the board owner or admin (who tried to update) and get as much info as possible so that we can evaluate the situation properly.
Now I'm really going to bed before the cold war starts here :(

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Ghostwolf308 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 pm General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Normally that means the credentials (username/password) are wrong in config.php.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

An update on this.
I received the package on 12 december (I think) and started trying to fix it (and I was busy on 2 other boards).
Installed everything on localhost, three times, one as a reference, once to work on, and the third to backup each time I had solved a problem.
Initially an extension was missing causing an error when accessing the board. Login was impossible.
Found the missing extension, put it in place - still no login.
Disabled all extensions manually (phpMyAdmin), set prosilver as defaultstyle, active and overriding user_style.
Created the superuser and could login. Managed to update to 3.2.4 and let it rest a bit.
In the meantime I had so many boards (fixed, being fixed and just received) that I started moving things around in a better classification system in order to avoid getting confused.
And that's when the fun started.
My naming schedule appartently wasn't clear to me and somewhere along the way I must have continued on the wrong dataset (a board with an empty users_table). That users_table was missing some fields so fixed that and imported that user_table into Ghostwolf308's board without realising my mistake. More errors came up and i kept on fixing them until I had a working version. Then filled the users_table with data I could retrieve from the post_ and topics_table in order to keep the posts linked to the correct users.
Yesterday afternoon while continuing work on that board, I suddenly noticed a username that I had seen on another board and after some research I came to the conclusion that I seriously screwed up the datasets and had broken 2 boards which were half way fixed.
So yesterday reinstalled Ghostwolf308's backup and the users_table is effectively there, complete and structurally completely in order.
So yesterday evening fixed the 3.2.2 board, and today updated to 3.2.4 and everything seems to be OK. (fingers crossed that no new problem surfaces).

The lesson to be learnt from this is that when working with multiple boards more or less simultaneously, make sure that board directory names and databases names are clear and preferably similar, also showing the version, so that the probability of confusion is reduced as much as possible. Reduce that probability even further by not working on multiple boards simultaneously :roll: .

Ghostwolf308

Post by Ghostwolf308 »

Update to this. we were able to get the forum back up and viewable, however a new problem has presented itself. When people try to login some are able to and others just get a blank white screen. however those that get the white screen show up on the forum as logged in. While others are able to log in with no problems and use the forum. also when attempting to register it seems to go to a blank white screen as well. Any ideas on this one guys?

Also while in acp panel when I go to look at the spam countermeasures, where I used to use sortables captcha, that link also comes up to a white screen. I hope I explained this well enough for you guys to understand.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

blank white pages are most often a php error. you will need to access the server error logs for your account to see what is causing the blank white pages.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”